1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think the Texans fans' not wanting another Carr in Houston was a huge mistake?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by deb4rockets, Sep 22, 2016.

1. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Eh, not really.. I guess 3 picks. But I think Watson is better than Goff. Honestly the fans will hate the Texans moves at QB until one finally shows they are capable of winning. We'll just have to wait and see.

Yaosthirdleg and eric.81 like this.
  2. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Believe me, I wasn't knocking your original post... I felt the EXACT same way about Brock. I'm sure there are posts on here of me saying "at least we didn't give up all the draft capital that LA did!" Fast forward 12 months later and we've given up (almost) that much draft capital and spent (almost) that much money. Obvious in hindsight... but damn.

3. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I haven't read all the comments from the beginning of this thread. Sorry if I'm repeating
    what has been said.

The lasting memory of David Carr did play into the decision of passing on Derek Carr; but the
    knock on Derek Carr was if you apply a little pressure up the middle (of O-line)....Derek will
    make costly mistakes (while in college).

It was noted in several college games (believe UCLA followed by bowl game w/USC).

Raiders overcame that by building one of the better O-lines in the NFL. After Meyers
    retired (former Texans center) the Texans have struggled at center. Ben Jones did a fair
    job only prior to leaving for our division rival.

Rick Smith knows nothing about offensive lines. Carr may not be the same player he is now.

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

No doubt they should have drafted Carr. The memories of his brother were clearly a factor in not drafting him, but that was a mistake.

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Rick Smith is not responsible for not drafting Derek Carr; Bob McNair is. He did not want Derek because of his experience with David and the Carr family. Specifically, Carr's Dad. Overbearing, always at practice. David did not put in the work. McNair also thought the fans wouldn't accept another Carr.

Jatman20 likes this.
  6. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

No I wasn't saying it was on Rick Smith for not drafting Derek Carr. I was saying Rick Smith doesn't do well with
    offensive linemen to protect QB's. Su'a Filo, Brennan Williams (Quessenberry gets a pass)

Rick Smith hasn't been too good with Free agency at that position unit recently: Bregstrom & Jeff Allen.

Bob McNair and his son are involved in personnel moves....that is understood. You still have to protect
    that young investment known as Derek Carr. David Carr was sacked something like 75 times his rookie
    year. Developed bad habits. Couldn't afford a repeat with the same Carr family in the same organization.

#166 Jatman20, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  7. texian

texian Member

Huge mistake by McNair and Rick.

Yes Rodger Carr was a helicopter parent. Yes David was at best a 9-to-5 QB. And contrary to what David has since said, the Carrs did not want Derek in Houston.

Everybody knew Derek was different from David... different personality, different player. And Derek grew up at NRG. No team knew a prospect better than the Texans knew Derek. And Derek is, ironically, exactly the kind of person McNair wants to put forward as a Texans player. Heck, he wants to be a pastor after his football career is over.

Just think how different this team's fortunes would've been had we added a QB in the second round in 2014.

8. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

According to profootball-reference.com

Texans: 2016/17: Osweiler 27 (times sacked).......32 (total sacks allowed by Texans)
    .............2015/16: Hoyer 25 (times sacked)............25 (total sacks allowed by Texans)
    .............2014/15: Fitzpatrick 21 (times sacked).....26 (total sacks allowed by Texans)...BO'B worked hard w/D Newton
    .............2013/14: Schaub 21 (times sacked)...........42 (total sacks allowed by Texans)

Raiders: 2016/17: Carr 16 (times sacked).............18 (total sacks allowed by Raiders)
    ..............2015/16: Carr 31 (times sacked)..............33 (total sacks allowed by Raiders)
    ..............2014/15: Carr 24 (times sacked)..............24 (total sacks allowed by Raiders) Rookie Year

If you give any QB time to throw the ball they tend to make better decisions. So in retrospect, yes drafting
    Derek Carr might have been the better move (Monday morning quarterbacking); but a good O-Line goes
    a long way to improving your team's chances of running and passing. Dak with the Cowboys is a good
    example of a rookie having a positive stint with consistency. This is why I wanted the Texans to go after
    Ramczyk or Garrett Bolles with possibly Davenport in later rounds instead of Watson....draft the QB next year.

9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL...always next year on a QB, right? This years' draft SUCKED for Oline high in the draft. You don't force a pick. The Oline had injuries and underperformance last season.......allowing 32 sacks is in the top half of the league. The reason they didnt draft a QB that year was because they picked a guard. There is no assurance of success draft a lineman high in the draft. Rams just traded the 3rd of overall pick in the 2014 (LT) for a 6 rounder because he SUCKED.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I would of course like to have a quality NFL starting quarterback and David Carr more than fits that bill.

That said, I feel he's a wee bit overrated. He seems to have played well this past year in the 4th quarter... which isn't a knock... but he's really needed to, because he wasn't amazing the first 3 quarters. Good that he turned it up when needed, though.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

OBrien didn't want to deal with a rookie QB.

He wanted his new england guys.

12. texian

texian Member

That's wrong.

He personally scouted every single QB in that draft... except Derek who was off the board. Liked Jimmy G and Tom and even Bortles, but not at #1.

13. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

The quarterback class this year sucked worse. Every team has a year to wait. Team in New England is better
    this year than last and they are going to kick everyone's behind.

Ramczyk or Bolles would have a year to learn the speed of the NFL. D Brown could be moved to right tackle the
    following year. I know the sacks were similar to the Raiders after 2014....but in 2013/14, 42 sacks could have turned
    for the worse in 2014/15. Derek Newton was god awful in 2013/14. BO'B came in and worked hard with Newton
    trying to keep him down instead of getting so upright and forklifted all the way to the QB. They used a metal
    frame that prevented the players from standing upright. They also worked on his footwork. If not for BO'B
    you may be talking about Carr being sacked 50 times in 2014/15.

Xavier Su'a Filo was a rookie in 14/15 and sucked. Ben Jones didn't look so good as a sub. Carr may have been
    killed. Developing bad habits. Nice discussion though.

14. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

15. Mr. Clutch

Ok he liked them but you gotta pick them. Why not Jimmy at #2?

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yeah it was, but they made up for it.

17. StevieCrossover

If little Carr junior was to be a Texans, the Texans would have been cursed. We would be seeing our QB getting sacks like never before.

18. texian

texian Member

No, the Texans had reservations about things related to his brother and his family.

You hire a QB centric head coach and you don't let him make the decision on a top 50 QB?

And as to the scouting reports, Carr is now the highest paid player in the league.

Ask Rick. He runs the draft. He's the one who made that decision.

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

if my grandma had wheels she'd be a bicycle

20. Mr. Clutch

Quite possible O'Brien liked XSF more