1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

What do people think about Bitcoin?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Spooner, Jan 25, 2014.

?

What is the fate of Bitcoin?

1. Currency of the future

35.0%
  2. Passing Fad

65.0%
  1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Anyone else make a killing off of ANS today?

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

yes, lots of ignorance

a blockchain is just a crappy database

what makes the Bitcoin blockchain powerful is immutability and the ability to write to it without permission

that comes from the proof of work consensus mechanism and the distributed nature of the network, nothing to do with blockchain

those features cannot be replicated without a massive amount of electricity and processing power

3. Roscoe Arbuckle

look at whatever investment you want. I know you're still a child, but quit acting like you know what you're talking about. It's annoying.

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'm sorry. I must have missed your seminar. Do you have a newsletter? Or are you just a b**** without a brain?

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I will agree there is a lot of ignorance on this topic. Some of those who are very knowledgeable on the subject admit they dont fully understand the subject.

I would not associate block chain with a database, however that could change. Bitcoin is more of a fancy spreadsheet and extremely limited. It could survive over the next decade, but it will not be the household name for block chain.

Bitcoin's Proof of Work is an absolute waste of resources, however it proves people are willing to use this on a large scale. When people start using Proof of Work for actual purposes (such as the Golem project), its going to be huge. If Proof of Stake works, we will no longer need the distributive power consumption when its not needed.

There is so much more to block chain than bitcoin.

6. Roscoe Arbuckle

Pretty sure I am your father...

7. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

one of the better technical explainer videos if you want to know how it works

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The guy did one of the most embarassing reddit AMAs of all time, it's painful how stupid he is.
    Gives out unbelievably bad advice to people, shows he doesn't have a damn clue about the worth of bitcoin or other stocks.
    His "investments" and "businesses" are utter trash and the best part is how he apparently avoided taxes on all of this and will probably be prosecuted in a while.

Link spoilered because of reddit's annoying auto-post feature.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This month has been brutal for all altcoins aye, just a regular price correction?

12. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

I thought the correction happened a few weeks ago. I guess I was wrong.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Lol. Ethereum is down over 50%, isn't it? Just watching intra-day swings in these things is funny. :)

Yung-T likes this.
  14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Love reading the subreddits/forums dedicated to these coins. One day it's "ahh yeaaa to the moon baby, we all gonna have a garage full of lambos in five years", then when months like this one happens it's "ah f***, should've known this coin is crap, where are the developers??!!!".

TheMystery008 likes this.
  15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, it's similar to the DotCom craze except I think that was even worse. Can't wait to see how this turns out when looking back about 10-15 years from now.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Ethereum is dropping faster than Kardashian underwear. It's down another 15% to $158. It was $400 a month ago.

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

And Bitcoin under 2k again.
    Those 7day charts for the top100 coins look brutal, you can do downhill skiing on them.
    https://coinmarketcap.com

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Btw, I hope GPU prices go down now. Unbelievable how many twats on forums are talking how they never made a profit with mining, but still bought dozens of cards.

Sucks for every gamer that can't afford gpus currently, all because of a bunch of kiddies who didn't do the math.

19. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Everything is Possible
    with Bitcoin.

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Nearly 250 now, this market is crazy.