1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Offense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Elephant810, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Although the Rockets offense this past season was fantastic and at times just flat out devastating for opponents, I still think there was too much JH Iso's and not enough down/up screens and player movement. Against elite one on one defenders we saw Harden turn the ball over a lot and make really dumb decisions running the pnr.

It would be nice to add some more pieces and incorporate more off the ball movement to really confuse the defense the way the Warriors do. Yeah they have better off the ball players in Curry & Thompson but the Rockets have some pieces too and with D'Antoni at the helm, I can see players like EG, Ariza, Bev, etc buying into it.

In addition, one would think such innovation to the offense would make Harden's job easier, and the Rockets offense less predictable. Also I'm not saying we should completely deviate from Harden's strengths which is ISOing and PNR heavy sets but we have to add more to the offense.

I honestly didn't see too much of a difference between say the 14-15 Rockets and this years, other than Harden bringing the ball up the court and having the ball in his hand even more...

Thoughts?

cheke64 likes this.
  2. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

"We should stop what we're doing, and play like the team that just won the title"

wow you should be a coach

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly. . . . if the officials allow opposing teams to play 3 men . . .have on man on HArden
    and have a Big basically sit in the lane all game. . . our offense struggles

Pau and LaMarcus pretty much just sat in the lane several spaces from Anderson all game

It's suppose to be illegal defense of defensive 3 seconds
    but teams like the Spurs and Warriors know .. . they may call it once or twice
    but will not enforce it all game long

That is the secret of "smart" basketball
    Violate the rules all the time . . . . . knowing the Refs won't enforce it all game long
    because it slows the game and Silver is against that

Rocket River

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

That is because come crunch time, team reverts to the BS they were taught under McFail for the past 4 seasons

[​IMG]

Elephant810 likes this.
  5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Does the team revert... or does Harden decide to do whatever the hell he wants - and nobody can/will do anything about it?

T for 3 likes this.
  6. kjayp

incorporate some midrange shots - if that's what the defense is giving you...
    get a conventional big that can slam down low for when the 3 ball isn't dropping....

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

"we're gonna add layers and play harden off the ball more"

-Michael D. Anthony

8. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Come on man, I thought the reason for bringing in D'Antoni was to incorporate a more dynamic offense that emphasized off ball player and ball movement. In many ways you can make the argument that the Warriors run a version of D'Antoni's offense from his Phoenix days. All I'm saying is what I saw this past season wasn't a total deviation from the offense we've been running since Harden got here. I'm thankful for it, as we've been one of the most successful teams in that span, but I feel like if we add some of the things the Warriors and even Spurs do, we'd be that much better. Even with the guys we have. Obviously to truly move the needle we need another star or two but you get my drift...no?

kjayp likes this.
  9. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Agree on the midrange, but I like the way we use Capella. I think a player like Cousins would be really intriguing, aside from his established skill set, it would be interesting to see him operate out of the high post as well with all the players moving around setting pics, confusing the crap out of the defense.

kjayp likes this.
  10. kjayp

I love CC... the problem is he usually gets left on an island down low... and he just doesnt have the beef to hold down the post solo against many teams... I'd hoped we would use Trez to help CC as needed - but obviously that aint MDA's thought process... we need some beef!

Elephant810 likes this.
  11. kjayp

What does the bass player for Van Halen have to do with this? lol

12. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Absolutely need another guy with strength and size that can hold it down inside. We got killed on the boards too much, [rebounding is another issue that probably deserves its own thread].

kjayp likes this.
  13. kjayp

yet we're trying to get CP3... and everyone knows Harden doesn't move without the ball in his hands... so there's that...lol

14. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Harden may not be a great off the ball player when trying to get him to run through screens and back door cuts, but he's a very good player on the block. Nice fade way, amazing handles, court vision....I can see it working. Maybe not an ideal fit, but if you can get CP3, I'm not sure you pass up on that regardless of current personnel.

15. kjayp

I'd throw the dice to see if it would work... but only after we strike out on trying to fill positions of actual need...
    I'm content with bev making under 6M for the next 2years... whereas Ryno at 20M a year - not so much... lol

Blake, Milsap, Ibaka.... those guys would be my first priority....
    Then PG or Gallo... since i think moving Ariza is going to be a top priority - to appease Harden... smh...
    Then a bu center... maybe Speights... i have no confidence in Nene... loved him last year... but he couldnt play b2bs last year... and now he's a year older and coming of injury.... no confidence that he can make the long haul...

then I would look at juggling the whole offense to try an accommodate a 32 year old often injured CP3...

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am more concerned about the Defense . . . . . than the offense

Rocket River

17. kjayp

How can you be concerned about something that doesn't exist? That's just silly... lol