1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey says Rockets "have something up [their] sleeve"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I actually don't think the Pacers are trying to contend without PG13. If they trade him, my guess is they would want to suck to get a high draft pick.

2. Rocketeer4Life

Morey has something up his sleeve and that is:

The Rockets have finally figured out how to make Harden show up in the playoffs and not be a damn liability ;):rolleyes:

lnchan, maw7079_2000 and cheke64 like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ha, Windhorst mentioned the Rockets.

Milwaukee
    Cleveland
    Houston always keeps their options open & think big. What if they get Chris Paul with cap space & trade for George? That's the type of thing...& because you trade for him, you inherit his bird rights. Maybe you have to send Eric Gordon back home.

Pacers will talk to about 20 teams in the coming days of this happening.

lnchan, FLASH21 and BigMaloe like this.
  4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

George being in the rental category is certainly a plus for us.

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

Sign one guy as a free agent and trade for the second since it would require less salary to be moved and Gordon as a possible piece to be traded to Indiana are exactly what i was saying in the random trade idea or in the Amick/George thread...getting Paul and George would actually be easier than getting Paul and Hayward for obvious reasons.

BigMaloe likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Fast forward to the 1:04/5:00-ish mark

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=19674349

For example, let me throw a team that I think would be interesting here. What if the Bucks are interested? Milwaukee is not LA but we have Antetokounmpo, who is more attractive than any player on the Lakers at this point. Bucks have some players not named Giannis who are interesting. Parker has had knee problems, I realize...could George get interested in playing with Giannis?

Then if I'm the Cleveland Cavs, maybe I look & see we have LeBron for one more year. Throw all the chips in the middle & gamble on keeping George long term. That would be another team in the East.

And then there is a team like the Houston Rockets. The Rockets always keep their options open & think big. What if they were able to get Chris Paul with salary cap space & manufactured a trade to get Paul George? James Harden-Chris Paul-Paul George, that's the type of thing & you'd be willing to bet...you'd be inheriting his bird rights. Maybe you have to send Eric Gordon home but isn't Eric Gordon a better option than not getting anything?

crazeazn, lnchan, Deuce and 8 others like this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sean Deveney(Sporting News):

Another team to keep an eye on: Houston. The Rockets don’t have a pick in this year’s draft, but they have young talent on hand (Clint Capela, Sam Dekker, Montrezl Harrell), and have their first-rounders going forward. Rockets general manager Daryl Morey would be willing to take the chance that being part of a contender in Houston, and in Mike D’Antoni’s system, would appeal to George.

DonKnock and Fullcourt like this.
  8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The only young asset/pick the Rockets have that has any material value is Clint Capela.

Myles Turner played the large large large majority of his minutes last year at center. 90%+ of his time is at center. And he/the team was better when he was at center than PF. His rookie year it was closer to an even split, but still like 2/3 of his time at center.

Capela doesn't make any sense for PG13... and one has to imagine if the Rockets offer Capela, Dekker, Trez, etc. the Pacers quickly call up the Lakers and get one asset that has higher upside and fit to them than all of that.

Now we could add Eric Gordon... but why would the Pacers want him... besides an Indiana connection?

I don't doubt DM's and the Rockets wanting to get PG13 or willingness to take risks to do so, even for a 1 year rental. I struggle enormously to see how they can make it happen.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The only way they are making it happen is no other team is willing to be as serious as we are.

Eric Gordon, Beverly, Harrell and a 1st round pick.

Can someone beat that? Sure, but will they want to? That's the question that matters. Pacers could look at that deal and see two guys (Gordon/Bev) that could be dealt off for first round picks in subsequent deals potentially.

But absolutely, if a team out there is willing to give up a truly high upside player or a high draft pick, we can't top that offer.

10. JayZ750

LIterally just posted this in another thread, but not sure why people think the Rockets are the only ones that would be willing to risk a rental. Pretty much every seriously trying to contend team not names the GSW would be willing to risk the rental. As you basically have to, to have any chance in the playoffs, and otherwise might as well tank. Cavs, Celtics, Rockets, Raptors, Clippers, Bucks, Wizards. Heck I can see teams like the Heat, Nuggets, OKC, Portland, Pelicans getting involved. Why not? Because he'll walk to LA? Maybe... probably, but you're either trying to find a way to top GSW or stuck spinning your wheels.

steddinotayto likes this.
  11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Why won't they risk it?

For most of those teams they have never demonstrated to be as willing to take a risk (better or worse) as Morey. But even if they are, you aren't listing a bunch of legit contenders that have a ton of young players or high draft picks to offer up. Most of those teams are basically in the same boat we are in.

The Rockets could be more willing to take a risk because they think that a year with his buddy Harden and playing for Dee Anthony could convince him to stay. Most of those teams can't trick themselves into believing that, or even that they could contend for one year next year with Paul George.

12. JayZ750

responded in other thread... since it seemed more appropriate to keep the dialogue up there ;)

13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

These kinds of rumors are supposed to bring excitement, but I know Beverley would have to be included in any kind of deal, and that makes my heart hurt.

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

[​IMG]

15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I think lots of teams are willing to gamble on a one year rental of Paul George. There will still be a bidding war. I highly doubt we land him though. Indiana will want to rebuild and we have nothing that helps them do that. Our role players are older (late 20s), our picks will be low, and our best young prospect plays the exact same position as their best young prospect. So many teams have us beat in that regard, one of them just has to be willing to take the gamble. I'm guessing he's Cleveland bound.

16. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Better than sleeved jerseys it seems.

17. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

OH DEAR GOD

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

THEY ALL HAVE...SLEEVES!

WHY DIDNT I SEE THE CONNECTION BEFORE?!?!?!?!

Fullcourt and topfive like this.
  19. topfive

topfive CF OG

If we get him and he likes it here and decide to re-sign, awesome.

If he only stays one year, we get him for one year and $20M cap space next summer.

jevjnd likes this.
  20. 9baller

9baller Member

Let us not soon forget those among us who have doubted the great Zhou Qi.

jevjnd likes this.