1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 16, 2017.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Texans have passed for now

IslandB.O.I. likes this.
  2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

Where they will watch the kicking of field goals UNLESS Wonder Bob comes up with an "actual" offense.

5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Why are they trying to cut Prosch out of the picture?

6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've lost a lot of respect for Duane, and certainly don't think he is a role model and leader by pulling this BS. Yes, he needs to honor the agreement he signed, and get his ass to camp as you said. If he doesn't show up to practices and work out with the team then he is being a me me me player, and certainly not a team player. I have more choice words for how I feel about him, but will refrain. If the Texans can't work anything out well before training camp, then I hope they do nothing. They can't give into demands from a guy who won't even practice with the team, and is certainly no guarantee to stay healthy. For the guys agreeing with what he is doing, well they probably want to see the same thing happen for them, when they still have 2 years left on their contract and this will just set a precedent of me me me behavior.

Shark44 likes this.
  7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I believe Duane's contract is now not guaranteed. He's also underpaid. Don't think i can really blame him

justtxyank likes this.
  8. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Underpaid is the minimum wage worker struggling to make enough money to even live and put food on the table. No football players are underpaid by any means. They might think they are, and they might think they can do as they wish, regardless of their contract commitments. Duane's word means nothing to me now, and I certainly don't see him as any type of role model or leader for our rookies.

csj, justtxyank, Uprising and 2 others like this.
  9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think Foreman and Watson will help in that aspect.

10. Mr. Clutch

For his ability at his position, he is getting paid well below what others are making.

And since his contract is now not guaranteed, it would be stupid to risk getting injured. The Texans could cut him and not have to pay his contract

Fulgore likes this.
  11. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

And despite the "contract commitment" the team can cut him and stop paying him immediately if he gets injured, saving money for the billionaire owner. And, he is correct in believing that he can "do as he wishes." He has the right to not show up. The team can then has the right to not pay him. Both sides are doing exactly as they are allowed to do. Let the millionaires and billionaires argue it out without making it a morality play ... or if it is a morality play, maybe consider siding with the guy risking his long-term health with zero guarantees over the guy making millions from sitting in a luxury box.

12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I hear the arguments for Duane, and why he has the right to do what he doing. I still don't respect him. You know, greed is a funny thing. It's all good to sign a 6 year contract and get all kinds of bonuses, but guess what? The salaries inflate every year, and those millions just don't seem like enough anymore to a guy with 2 years left on his contract. The lack of a guarantee was always part of that contract. Nothing changed since he signed it the contract to begin with and made his millions. Sorry, no sympathy here. These guys make way too much money, and could live off their interest and still make more money than the guys roofing their houses, the woman scrubbing their floors, or the guy mowing and edging their lawns. Yes, just off the interest from one year's salary, they would still be better off than most. Man up, be a team player, or get out of town. You are no role model for our rookies.

csj likes this.
  13. Mr. Clutch

So McNair should keep the money then? Or some scrub player that Obrien finds should get it?

I don't see anything wrong with what he's doing, particularly with a non guaranteed contract. He's basically negotiating for a better deal which people do all the time.

I'm sure McNair, upstanding guy that he is, can just guarantee his contract then so he can be a good role model? Because I'm sure he'd never cut a player on a non guaranteed contract he himself signed.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's how the contract works. At this point in the deal the team has completely fulfilled their commitments and Duane Brown has not. When players have millions in guarantees left and get hurt, teams still pay them....because they ALWAYS fulfill their contract commitments. Suggesting that Brown should do the same, isn't wrong. If he wanted a fully guaranteed deal and he thought he was good enough to get it, he should have held out for it then.

csj and deb4rockets like this.
  15. cmlmel77

Duane Brown is not committed to playing for the Texans this year. He is only committed to exclusivity with the Texans within the NFL. No one in the US is forced to work for anyone else.

The contract situation in the NFL is laughingly one-sided, but even it doesn't quite reach the point of forced labor.

16. cmlmel77

And Bob McNair could pay off Duane Brown with the interest he makes in one month. So why doesn't he man up, be a team player, or get out of town? You know, greed is a funny thing....

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Good point. So the Texans shouldn't pay him for when he doesn't show up and when he shows up out of shape and gets himself hurt they should cut him as soon as he passes a physical. Showing up for what he's under contract to show up for would be a show of good faith and if he's not willing to do so they shouldn't reward him for it by even entertaining the notion of a new deal.

18. cmlmel77

They aren't paying him when he doesn't show up - he has $80K in fines. If he keeps not showing up, they'll keep not paying him. And they absolutely will cut him if he gets himself hurt. It happens all the time. Do you not follow the NFL?

There is no "good faith" in the NFL - certainly not from the team's side. If the Texans don't want to entertain a new deal, they don't have to. But to suggest that Brown doesn't have the right to refuse to play without a new contract is simply factually incorrect.

He won't get paid until he shows up, and the Texans won't have a LT until he shows up. One will give in eventually ... me, I'm rooting for the guy working on the field over the guy sitting in a box. But you make your own choices, just like Brown and McNair will.

red5rocket and eric.81 like this.
  19. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Division got a little bit tougher

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Texans related