1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Girlfriend talks boyfriend into suicide

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by aussie rocket, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Words can kill. You can convince someone vulnerable to kill themselves or to kill others. Yes, he made the ultimate choice to kill, as did she made the ultimate choice to push him over the edge. Both choices may look like they were from a free will, when it's a culmination of past conditions leading to it. Free will is an illusion when you can't see clearly, which I think is the case here for both sides.

Detention with mental help and until mentally evolved to not be a risk to society would be what I think should happen here (and in many other cases that even involve direct physical acts while not all there mentally, especially among kids).

malakas and Yung-T like this.
  2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This, the "he killed himself" should only semi-apply when she consciously made an effort to talk him into it.

Many people here somehow completely gloss over the fact that he told her he had second thoughts and didn't want to kill himself, but she repeatedly pushed him over the edge and told him to do it. She actively changed his mind and wanted to see him commit suicide, even when he had doubts.

gatsby and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The 2000's version of Adam and Eve.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Yes, she might be a sadist, but this guy sounds beta af.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I agree, its just that future cases will reference this and it sets a dangerous precedent. I think she should get punished, but I'm not sure about the manslaughter charge.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This is FIRE IN A BURNING BUILDING on a micro scale

She saw that her words could cause pain . . .and chose to do it any way
    If you put the FIRE IN A BURNING BUILDING person in jail . .. then so should she as well

Rocket River

Nook likes this.
  7. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

It isn't fire in a burning building. You are supposed to yell FIRE if the building is burning. The prohibition is against yelling FIRE in a crowded building that is not burning, because the natural response is to try to flee the building. The natural response of someone telling you to kill yourself is to tell them to piss off. I can see an eggshell thin skull argument, but it certainly seems like there is an intervening cause of the boy's death (killing himself), which to me should cut off liability.

8. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Sticks and stones may break my bones but these kneiving thots in 2017 gonna put me under cuh FeelsBadMan :(

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

She obviously has issues of her own. I think the sentence is fair.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Telling someone to do something and manipulating them into it are two different things.

Put it this way, if she had convinced him to kill someone else, she would be clearly be criminally responsible under the law.

Manslaughter was the proper verdict and 11 months seems like she shouldn't be complaining

macho GRANDE and Jayzers_100 like this.
  12. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Were his parents in the courtroom during sentencing? I don't know if I could trust myself not to attack her :/

Objectively though, I think the sentence is somewhat fair. She needs help

13. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

After reading some of the texts I felt like he may not have gone through with it if she had not egged him on, I feel like he was at the edge and that pushed him over. While I think the sentence is fair based on the laws today it still stinks.......now she can get some help but she didn't try and help him and he is dead, irony can be ugly