1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 16, 2017.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Brown could have Derek Newton's injury and be cut by the Texans in Training Camp.......and get no money. I wouldn't show up til Week 1 of the regular season if I was him. That's why the Texans need to rework the contract and change some of that money to signing bonus money.

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

No you shouldn't do that.

Then others will.

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

So because you're old and breaking down you deserve a raise as insurance if you happen to go down to injury, again?

Maybe they can throw him a bone and give him 1 or 2 mil guaranteed but that's what contracts are for... if it were Hop or OBJ that are young, talented and extremely underpaid; that's a different story.

This guy just wants an insurance cut.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Hold out that long and you show up out of shape and end up getting hurt and STILL don't have any guaranteed money.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Don't think you can cut a player with a football related injury who hasn't been cleared. So if he did have that big of an injury, his contract would almost become guaranteed until he got cleared. I could be wrong but that's probably the reason why we haven't cut Newton yet.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Eagles signed LT Jason Peters to a one-year extension through 2019.

Ask and you shall receive. Peters said Tuesday he wanted security and to retire with the Eagles. He's now under contract for $32.5 million over the next three years and gets $15.5 million guaranteed after having no guaranteed money left on his prior deal. Still one of the premier left tackles in the sport, Peters is signed through his age-37 season.

I am sorry to pass on this news @coachbadlee ;)

ESPN Bills reporter Mike Rodak believes Cardale Jones is currently the odd man out on the quarterback depth chart in Buffalo.

Unless there's an injury, we'd guess it's a near-lock Jones is cut. Tyrod Taylor is the starter, T.J. Yates is OC Rick Dennison's guy as the backup, and rookie Nathan Peterman was drafted by the new regime. Jones is ex-GM Doug Whaley's guy, and on top of that has been terrible in spring practices. Jones has mouthwatering size and arm strength but remains a major project/long shot.

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um...players are cut while injured. Teams may do an injury settlement, but it is for ALOT less than full contract values.

9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

His salary for the season is guaranteed week 1.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, but nothing after that....which is why he's holding out. He wants more guarantees and if he hold out too long and gets hurt he not only won't get that guarantee, but the next contract he signs after the Texans cut him will be for half as much as his current deal.

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Yes but the player must agree to the settlement. The Texans wouldn't be able to unilaterally cut Brown leaving him without a dime as you stated in your scenario.

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Brown is the most important piece on the the Oline...right now. Texans should throw him a bone.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's the most important piece on the O line right now, but he's pretty clearly on the way out. I just don't think they want to give him any more guaranteed years knowing that they might be set to cut him next offseason.

14. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Any update on quessenberry? It's looking like they've moved him inside, but that would mean he's the likely cut. Was still hoping he could muster up the strength to overtake the RT spot.

15. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

I think they've worked him at every position except for LT. That flexibility will help him. I also heard that he's moving well and looks good physically.

Locks for the OL-
    Duane Brown-LT
    XSF-OG
    Martin-C/OG
    Allen-OG
    Mancz-C/OG
    Davenport-OT (4th rounder with upside-swing tackle right away? or inactive on gamedays during the first several weeks?)

They had two backup tackles(Lamm-developmental and Clark-swing tackle) and two backup interior players (Aboushi-OG, Bergstrom-C/OG) to start off last season on the 53-man roster.
    So if Davenport is this year's developmental OT on the roster then that leaves RT and swing tackle up for grabs and then you'd have one more open spot to be a backup on the interior.

Quessenberry will be battling with Chad Slade, Kendall Lamm, Chris Clark, Laurence Gibson, Josh Walker, Kyle Fuller (7th-round pick but I could see them going the practice squad route with him), Giacomini, and maybe others yet to be added for those spots.

FLASH21 likes this.
  16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Cyrus just got signed by the lions. Also the Rams just traded Greg Robinson to the lions too

17. conquistador#11

Is B.O.B a coach or does he want to reenact Remember the titans? jk but I thought only a couple of practices were going to be held there not the entire training camp.

18. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I agree he's ultra important, but when he signed the damn contract, why didn't he/his agent negotiate for some guarantees then based on showing up for OTAs, etc.? Once they throw one vet a bone, there will be more hungry dawgs at the table soon. Brown hasn't played a full season since 2014, although 14-12 games isn't bad, that trends going the wrong way. He's in line for good money and he's a leader on the team. I believe he needs to honor the agreement he signed and get his ass to camp.

deb4rockets likes this.
  19. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

Any news on how the meeting with Aaron Williams went?

20. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member