1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How is Zhou Qi Developing?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by glynch, Feb 23, 2017.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Who knows how he introduces himself, or he even introduced himself at all to her. it's also possible he hasn't decided himself what name to use in the US. It's a non issue, most Chinese people are aware of the fact that Americans reverse the first and last name, and they kind of adopt their name in that manner. Most people call me name the western way, I don't think it matters, and I don't think Zhou Qi cares either.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So much for me making fun of the real estate agent for being the only one calling him Qi Zhou.

It was a joke,,, what's up with all the "actually, it is OK to print his name both ways. So she might not be a dumb real estate agent, after all."

Ming Yao said he didn't care either. And he also never cared that his name was alphabetized with the Ms at ESPN player lookup page for years.

#182 heypartner, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  3. Chamillionaire

They are much cheaper. Maybe a third of the price from everything I've heard.

4. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

5. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Yea. He was paid around $650k USD last year (3rd highest paid Chinese player in the CBA) not including endorsements. It's not a lot compared NBA salaries, but still more than enough to pay for a house in Pearland.

Compared to houses in cities like Shanghai or Beijing, Houston housing prices are incredibly low. The housing bubble in Shanghai in particular is absolutely bananas. An average 1000 sqft apartment is about $750k USD in Shanghai. My grandma has an apartment in Shanghai (not even in city center) that's worth over a million USD that's a complete crap hole compared to what you can get here in Houston for a fraction of the price.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. showa13

showa13 Member

I work at a bank downtown and he came in today. Really nice guy, doesn't speak a lick of English. The height is there(had to duck to get in) but he's def got about 15-25 pounds of muscle to add before he's ready physically. Def rooting for him.

saleem likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Joe Chee signing next month!

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

we goin sizzzzla!

10. BackdoorHarden

Who is Joe Chee????

11. BackdoorHarden

This guy???

[​IMG]

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

They want to pay part of their MLE to Zhou Qi? Is this guy any good, let alone going to even be contributing next year (or two)?

The Rockets' most likely recruiting tool will be their mid-level exception, worth $8.4 million. Their hope is that players they might not have been able to land at that price would meet them halfway to play with Paul and Harden.

They could look at shooting wings such as C.J. Miles, Kyle Korver and Bogdan Bogdanovic, fours Patrick Patterson or Ersan Ilyasova, a versatile frontcourt player such as Omri Casspi, or more expensive options such as James Johnson or Danilo Gallinari.

Even that could be complicated. The Rockets would like to sign Zhou Qi to a long-term deal by using a portion of the mid-level exception, according to a person with knowledge of the team's plans, but they would be willing to spend the exception on the right free agent and sign Zhou to a shorter deal if necessary. It is a consideration to weigh.

Vivi likes this.
  13. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

All I read was Gallo for the MLE. That would be awesome.

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

Not even close.

Bogdan Bogdanovic is already signed by the Kings btw, i guess they meant Bojan Bogdanovic.

justtxyank and saleem like this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

You missed the "more expensive" part.

"...or more expensive options such as James Johnson or Danilo Gallinari."

Gallo is in the Ryan Anderson money range according to Zach Lowe.

"Paul Millsap will be a test case. A year ago, it was almost unanimous among executives that someone would lavish Millsap a four-year max deal. People once muttered the same about Serge Ibaka and even Danilo Gallinari, but the market for both has cooled to the $20 million range, sources say."

Bojan, Bogdan, ... easy to get them confused. ;)

justtxyank and Vivi like this.
  16. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

I don't think it's remotely possible either but the thought is nice.

17. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Ahh. I skimmed over too quickly. All the blood in my brain went elsewhere I suppose.

18. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

With all the trades going on, who knows if Zhou won't get shipped out !

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They are going to ask guys to take pay cuts. Dantoni and Morey have both repeatedly said now in the press conference and media segments things like "all these guys are set for life, might take less" "hope guys maybe take a little less to be here" "guys take less to make it all work" "ask guys to take less here then they might get elsewhere" etc. etc. It's no coincidence that they are saying this over and over. They are going to ask a player to take the MLE that could get more elsewhere, such as Patrick Patterson for example. Or maybe one of the Bogdnavics lol.

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, there's also that larsv post about the Raptors insider saying that Patterson signing with Houston under his market value is possible, i believe that. On Bogdan i don't really know, not sure of what is his value around the league. But yeah, Gallo not gonna happen for the MLE.

Patterson taking the MLE is ok because he's probably leaving a little less than a third of his best possible salary on the table, But Gallo would leave at least half of his pèossible best offer...