1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[DC Cinema] Wonder Woman

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I finally got around to seeing the movie and i thought it was pretty good for the most part. If I was judging it based on Marvel movies, I'd say it was an average to above average superhero movie but by DC standards it's the best thing they've done since the Nolan Batman movies.

What I really liked about the movie is that they didn't really treat her character all that differently despite being female. I mean obviously the reaction others had to her was different, but she acted like any other superhero would have. This was especially evident in the scene at "no man's land" that we saw in the trailer (which is why I'm not using a spoiler for it), there was a really cheap and easy set up for a "No man can get across there"......"I'M NOT A MAN!!!!" kind of situation but they didn't go there. Instead they treated her the same as they would any superhero and she gave a response to the "no one can get across there" line that any other superhero would have given. I REALLY respected the hell out of that.

Now that said, the movie isn't without flaws and it kind of falls apart at the end as it delves into full on CGI BS mode....but I understood why they kind of had to due to DC characters being so ridiculously OP.....but it was still a distraction. The movie was at its best when they weren't leaning on CGI.

2. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

The setting certainly makes it feel like Cap, but WW didn't have that pulp feel. That had an 80% and I'd definitely rank this above that.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, Mrs. B-Bob and I both liked it, and she generally hates that genre. Pine was not as good as I expected (I think he's generally great), and Gadot was about what I expected but maybe a little more athletic, which was good.

1. Worst side-kicks ever? I mean, I'm fine having some diversity but don't sidekicks have to do something? These guys were worse than the cartoon wonder twins.
    2. Like that Thewliss turned out to be the bad guy.
    3. If Wonder Woman can do **** like that third act, why does she ever bother sweeping the leg? Real question. I guess it looks pretty good when she sweeps the leg.
    4. On the Snyder front, that final battle felt like just another battle from the Superman films. Strong beings throw one another around! At night! Shoot beams! Argh! And it was fine for what it was: eye-burning CGI.
    5. I liked that Pine died in the end. In part b/c his character was just so "golly gee willickers!" that I'm glad it won't be back.
    6. In terms of side carnage, which someone complained about, I think it was minimal (e.g. gassing that small town). And WWI was full-on horrible carnage. Diana didn't really contribute much to that, at all, unlike superman in man of heel.

GRENDEL likes this.
  4. Juxtaposed Jolt

1. I think the fact that the sidekicks couldn't really contribute, was actually a good idea. It accentuates Wonder Woman's status as a badass and it shows the flaws in regular human beings (like how the Irish guy couldn't calm down when aiming down his sights, so the others had to create a diversion. I will say that Sameer and Chief didn't really get to show what they could do. Besides losing in a verbal spar with Diana, Sameer never showcased his talents. Ditto for Chief. And because these were Steve's comrades / future WW films will be set in modern times, we'll never get to see these characters again. Which is disappointing.

3. I think the movie was a progression of her skills. First act showed she could fight. Second act showed she could adapt to social situations, and even speak up for herself in a setting where women should bite their tongue. Third act required Steve to die, so that Wonder Woman could go all-out half-God(dess).

4. Meh, I expected the CGI. You knew from the start that Wonder Woman was going to battle Ares at some point.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I saw it Tuesday night and enjoyed it. The theater sold every seat for the showing ... on a Tuesday night.

WW should be a huge summer blockbuster.

6. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Watched in Sunday night in Cinemark's D-BOX experience. Must say it was quite the experience. Remember those 4-D moving seat movies they had at Moody Gardens? It's like that. Great film!

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

not this movie related, but generally speaking, why don't the bad guys shoot at her legs? they keep shooting at her armband and shield for some reason. happens in the cartoons too i think.

8. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet
    Supporting Member

They aren't shooting at her armbands/shield, they are shooting at her torso. She is blocking the bullets with her bracers and/or shield. She wouldn't have any more difficulty blocking or dodging if they were shooting at her legs.

9. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Its human nature when shooting a gun at a women, we aim for the nipples.

Jontro and Sajan like this.
  10. Sajan

Sajan Member

Loved it. Mostly cause I was drooling every time gal gadot was on screen..my god she is so damn cute.
    I actually loved the slo mo shots here and there. Could have did with slightly less CGI at the end but it is what it is.

11. i3artow i3aller

Does this gal even age, brehs?
    Shown here at 18 signing up for the military [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No Worries, B-Bob and GRENDEL like this.
  12. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

[​IMG]

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Would make for a lame ending.

"Agh! My beautiful legs, shot to pieces! You lovable, useless, diverse, drunk losers go on without me."

Jontro likes this.
  14. Jontro

Jontro Member

that would be interesting. she gets a career ending injury from a bullet to the leg, forced to retire, then turns into a housewife.

B-Bob likes this.
  15. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Deckard and Jontro like this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Just wanted to say that if one or two people mistakenly forgot to spoiler something, we shouldn't assume that it's OK to blow off the spoiler tag. In my opinion, anyway. (And I saw the flick not long after it came out, so I'm not personally affected by lack of spoiler tags, but others certainly could be)

17. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I really enjoyed it. Felt like they definitely improved on everything wrong in BvS. Really hoping The Justice League is more like WW than BvS.

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

Normally, when you're trying to off someone, you'd want to aim at their head or torso. I'm assuming that was the bad guys' plans.

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

at least after a few shots of being blocked by her gauntlet of wonder, i would have tried to sweep the legs.

speaking of which, did they ever mentioned the name 'wonder woman' in the movie? i think they only called her diana.

20. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Is this better than Catwoman?