1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[DC Cinema] Wonder Woman

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

10/10 for me. I think this movie is the best movie DC has ever done. People might argue "What about TDK?" but I think most people liked Heath Ledger's portrayal of the Joker, and that more than likely elevated the movie, rather than the movie overall being good.

Pacing was great. And you really bought into the fact that Diana and Steve really loved each other, versus "oh, she loved him because he was the first guy she laid eyes on." People in other mediums are complaining (a lot) about the CGI in the final battle. If this is a turn-off for you, when deciding whether to watch this movie, be smart! It's a superhero movie about an OP protagonist; obviously, there's going to be a lot of CGI.

Don't really get why Gadot is being criticized for her acting. The scenes requiring her to be emotional, were spot on. The scenes requiring her to be inquisitive about "Man's world," spot on. The scenes requiring her to be funny, spot on. Even the physical comedy (like when she was trying on dresses) was really good. Gadot really exceeded my expectations, and I honestly can't see anyone else at the moment, portraying Diana Prince.

Sure, her accent isn't "American," but they covered that up with the Themyscirans having similar accents, and it was pretty believable. @Jontro was spot on, in saying this.

If I had any gripes, it would be the theme music. Doesn't sound like a superheroine's theme; more like music to start a chase scene for a spy/action flick.

Don't remember her getting smashed by really heavy objects. She got like, a 2x4 to the right ribs, but she had her armor on then. And most of the time, she did the smashing (using her shield as a battering ram).

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

the music is spot on actually, it gets your adrenaline pumping when you hear it. they just used it at the wrong place in this movie. it should have bust out when she walked out in the no man's land scene imo. or during a hot secks scene, preferably on the boat, but i understand why they wouldn't.

re getting smashed, i think she did get smashed by huge metals during the final battle, but she survived that. also i imagine an ares punch would be much deadlier than a bullet. dude straight up pummeled her and she was like "bisch, das it?"
    but isn't she immune to bullets anyway? i don't think bullets hurt her. she's not like her amazonian counterpart who dies from a bullet wound. i mean, you can't kill a demi-god with a bullet.

3. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

I absolutely hated it. The script acting was unbearable, I cringed at the stupidity at moments. Yeah she crossed no man's land and suddenly her three companions just run up next to her? The Chris Pine with doctor poison at the ball. The moment of giddy reaction to the gas mask. The swinging from the cliffs shooting arrows landing on the ground and ropes disappearing. The cringed worthy exchanges at every turn.

It never felt genuine at all. Felt like acting out poorly written cheesy lines.

4. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

This is the type of movie DC has needed to kickstart their universe. Take your time with stand alone films and establish the characters rather than rush forward with BvS, Suicide Squad, Justice League. They absolutely nailed it. Just a few minor nitpicks though. The movie dragged a little during some of the slow sections. As a comic book movie with war as its backdrop, it handled itself well, but it doesn't of course reach the realism as other war movies. So it kinda pulled me out of the film at times. Still, the no man's land scene was awesome. Also, I would have liked to have seen more character development for the supporting cast. There just wasn't enough for me to care about them too much.

Gadot completely owned the role though, and the final act was insane. This might be a notch below Winter Soldier and Civil War and Guardians of the Galaxy for me , but not by much.

Deckard likes this.
  5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Yeah we see the reason you actually went to the theater to watch the flick by your monicker.... good one Al.

[​IMG]

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

?!?!?!?!?!?! I don't know if I simply mis-read your post, but if you're saying Heath Ledger is more or less the only reason TDK is any good........um, no. He was awesome in the film and perhaps the best part of it (and the script made him a bad-ass terrorist), but there was plenty else good about it. But to each his own!

I'm glad someone wasn't off-put by Gal Gadot. She's very nice to look at in the first place, she had real-life military experience to draw on for the physicality of the role, and her acting was fine. No Academy Award nominations in the near future, but so what? I do think acting in a second language can be cumbersome (Penelope Cruz is an excellent actress in her native Spanish, but not so much in English), but it's okay that Wonder Woman doesn't suddenly goes out into the world speaking perfect American-ese, anyway.

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Lots of people ignoring the Spoiler tag. I guess I'll not use it, either.

Crossing NML by herself raised morale. The men see that she is taking all the fire, and they instantly go from 0% chance of even surviving to, like, a 60% of actually taking the damn territory.

What was wrong with the Pine/Poison scene? Dude is a spy, trying to his charms to lure Dr. Poison to his side. The giddy reaction to the gas mask was really cheesy, but I felt like it fit. It seemed like an ad-libbed scene, or a blooper reel scene, but one that was good enough to be kept in.

As far as the swinging goes, you know it's correct procedure to detach oneself from the ropes, right? So that it's not cumbersome to fight with them still attached? And with all the action on the beach, the camera wouldn't necessarily zoom in on the mountainside to show that the ropes are indeed there. Seems like a silly thing to get hung up on.

With a consecutive viewing of the movie (haven't watched it in a while), I love Ledger's performance more and more, and I'm of the opinion that TDK would have been an average movie, with anyone else as Joker. But you're right; to each his own. If you gave me a choice between sitting through the whole movie again vs watching only Joker scenes from TDK on youtube, I'd rather do the latter.

8. Juxtaposed Jolt

Ironically, and iirc, they're coming out with the Justice League movie before releasing Aquaman, Flash and Cyborg as standalone movies. And iirc, all of the major members of the Avengers had a standalone movie before the Avengers in 2012. And I think Iron Man even had 2 movies, before.

Granted, I think people generally know a little more about Aquaman and Flash than about Thor and Captain America, but still. It makes it seem like people are just going to watch JL for Batfleck and WW (and I guess Supes), but Flash, Cyborg and Aquaman are all A-list heroes (more or less) when talking about the JL.

9. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

When drawn, her t*** are a lot bigger lol

Jontro likes this.
  10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Felt like captain America with Zach Snyder slo motion action scenes and massive amounts of environmental destruction. At least it wasn't as dark as MoS. I would say it should be closer to 70% instead of 90% on RT. DC also needs to de-power their characters. How does Darkseid have chance against DCs heroes.

#110 Air Langhi, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  11. Jontro

Jontro Member

so is it confirmed that darkseid will be the villain of the jl movie? they will probably make him 10 times stronger than superman and he'll have some kind of army that will also keep the good guys occupied. like the avengers movie and add darkseid. he would probably team up with lex.

12. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

JL bad guy is going to be Steppenwolf, one of Darkseid's generals.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steppenwolf_(comics)

Yaosthirdleg and Obito like this.
  13. VanityHalfBlack

Didn't read the whole thread cause I'm lazy ;) She is fine as hell but is the movie action packed? CG heavy? Origin story? 2 hr++++??? Are there any other DC characters in this as well?

14. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Yes on everything except any other DC hero cameos. I wouldn't say it's CGI heavy. Definitely worth the price of admission.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  15. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Luddendorf didnt need those gas power boosters. Made it look stupid. Overall it wasn't as bad as the other recent DC garbage but it wasn't free from silly mistakes. Kept waiting for Simon to redeem himself but I guess they only had enough screen time for his singing to be it. Chris Pine wasn't that good, maybe not enough of him. The boat scene was quite useless unless they were just aiming for awkward sex jokes.
    Gal Gadot was good.

16. Juxtaposed Jolt

How else would Lud hang with WW, during their battle? Boat scene showcased how closed off Themyscira has been, regarding man and woman. It established how "clueless" WW was, and instantly made Steve likable and bolster their relationship.

17. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

She could've just kicked his ass and then realize it didn't stop the war and he's not Ares. Was it even a good battle?

If you liked the boat scene then that's that. I thought it was clumsy and they just wanted to put in some awkward sex jokes.

18. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

DCs characters have always been OP. That's one reason I always found Marvel's more interesting because they generally are more flawed and don't have every power in existence available to them. With that said I'm going to try and check out WW soon -- maybe even today.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  19. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

These guys are never going to get it right...

[​IMG]

Dude looks straight out Pan's Labyrinth. They could of just used Kalibak.

20. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Hey mofos, learn to use the
    tags.