1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. craigharmann

craigharmann Member

Based on the cost, I'd go for the Gray or Stroman packages. I really don't want to give up Tucker in a trade, and while I'm not excited about giving up Martes, I think that's an ok chip to let go of.

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Archer > Stroman > Gray, Cole

eric.81 and craigharmann like this.
  3. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Gerrit Cole is the top prize. Beyond that I'd go for a strong #3 type like Verlander, Gray, Odorizzi.

Adding an elite LHRP is also a need. Astros would be well served unloading Musgrove, Fiers, Gregerson, Sipp in package deals

Quintana is trash. Stroman and Archer are solid but not worth the haul it would take.

4. Merla08

Merla08 Member

How about Felix Hernandez? Seattle hasn't been a contending team for years. We need to go after the best pitchers out there NOW. We have enough talent in MLB and they're all young and will be around for years, so we can sacrifice a few of our farm prospects for a legit ace. This team has what it takes to win it all IF we can land another Ace. A 3rd or 4th rotation type pitcher isn't enough in the playoffs.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Felix barely hits 90 on the gun these days. He's far from an ace at this point. It's really sad to see.

King1, raining threes and kaleidosky like this.
  6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

this. Felix has been declining each year for 3-4 now. Worse than Morton

7. texans1095

texans1095 Member

My trade wish list for pitchers is...

1. Archer
    2. Gray
    3. Cole
    4. Quintana
    5. Vargas

I don't see the Jays trading away Stroman and I'm not so sure I would want him for what it would cost anyway. Archer would be ideal and Gray is looking like a better and better option with each start.

8. raining threes

Tell me other than yrs under contract, what makes Archer better than Gray/Cole?

9. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I think there's a couple reasons why.

1. Archer has no major injury history. He has pitched over 180 innings each of the past 3 seasons whereas Cole has only pitched over 180 innings once in his career due to injuries and Gray is coming off a season-ending injury.
    2. Archer has proven to be the most consistent of the three. Gray struggled mightily last season before getting hurt and Cole's peripherals seem to be regressing from his career mean.

Basically, I think that there is less risk with Archer than with Gray or Cole. And I also believe there is more upside with Archer.

Yaosthirdleg and Snake Diggit like this.
  10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Stroman is likely far more available than Archer. As much as I love Archer (may be my favorite non-Astro pitcher in the league), it is basically impossible to imagine a scenario in which Tampa trades him for anything reasonable.

I agree Gray is looking more and more appealing. I would put Santana, Cueto, and Stroman ahead of Vargas.

texans1095 and craigharmann like this.
  11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Anyone think OAK might be reluctant to send Gray to a team in their division? Or are they so far out of it now...and rebuilding...that they don't care?

What's Gray's contract situation?

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Oakland doesn't care that Astros in the same division. Astros have platinum trading status with Oakland as long as we are willing to take Jed Lowrie back. I believe Gray has 2 years of arbitration after this year.

kaleidosky likes this.
  13. raining threes

Agreed with #1
    Disagree with #2.

Archer is homerun prone.

His production falls far short of his talent. He has the stuff of a #1 but the results of a #3. See last nights game as a mircocosm of Archer's career. 7 IP 4 ER

14. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I agree with you. I think Archer has had some inconsistencies but I still think that he is more consistent than Gray or Cole.

15. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I'm concerned about the Jays resurgence. They get back into this thing and The 'Stro-Man is off the market. Similar to the Archer situation... the Rays are good this season. They could win that division...

Based on the post by @Snake Diggit, I like the A's deal the best... except I'd honestly rather have Yonder Alonso than Khris Davis.

Snake Diggit and texans1095 like this.
  16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Alex Cobb? Will probably not have to give up any of our top prospects for a nice #3 rental.

Alex Cobb, Rays
    Why he could move soon: The Rays have a rotation full of starting pitchers who other teams will call and ask about, but Cobb is the most likely to move because he’s the only one who’s a free agent after the season. He’s been pretty darn good through his first 11 starts this season (3.67 ERA) and could move quickly because, at least theoretically, trade discussions won’t be as complicated as potential deals for Chris Archer (club control through 2021 with the option) or Jake Odorizzi (club control through 2019) might be. The Rays won’t give him an extension because that’s not how they operate with their budget constraints.

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/new...yals-alex-cobb-rays/v8lmj2issi9m16vchmi1rl76c

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Why would the Rays trade Archer at this point?? They're right in the thick of both the division and WC races, and are playing some really solid ball as of late. I just don't see why they'd be willing to part with Archer unless they're getting a Godfather deal. And honestly, if you're offering a Godfather deal to anyone, it should be the Giants for MadBum.

18. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Whitley and Franklin Perez are probably off the books if I was in Luhnows place. Kyle Tucker is tough to give up as Belt

19. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Doubtful that Whitley and Perez are off the table but luhnow will probably value them like top 50, if not better, prospects.

They're both still in A ball and have a long way to go, so they're not untouchable.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

While I don't like to call guys untouchable, Perez is one of three 19 year olds in A+ ball and pitching well. Would take a great MLB player. Very close to getting above 20 K%-BB% while demonstrating HR suppression. Very good chance he replaces Tucker in every trade speculated next year for a great MLB player.

Nothing says Love like others trying to trade you away.