1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Do you trust Ken Giles?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, May 16, 2017.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

But, but, but... his outings are always chaotic with opposing teams constantly threatening.

I think he's lying.

kaleidosky and tellitlikeitis like this.
  2. SuraGotMadHops

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I'll still take this bet from last week if anyone's interested. Had zero takers--kinda surprised honestly given how strongly some seemed to feel. If it's not clear, I'm on the >= 85% side.

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Why did you reduce it to a calendar year instead of saying the last 2 years (the time Giles has been here)?

Anyways, much of the past calendar year, Giles wasn't even closing because his own manager didn't trust him.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The better question would be "What would it reasonably take for you to trust Ken Giles?". Given the following extreme hypothetical:

Giles converts every save opportunity left in the regular season.
    Giles converts every save opportunity in the playoffs.
    Giles converts his first 3 save opportunities in the World Series.
    Giles comes in in the 8th inning of game 7 with the bases loaded and no outs. Proceeds to strike out the first 2 hitters. Third hitter Ks but there is a passed ball on McCann. McCann throws the ball away while trying to get the runner at home. 2 runs score and Astros go on to lose.

There would be posters on this forum saying "See, I told you we needed a better closer".

6. Houstunna

Supporting Member

This line of thinking assumes nobody trusts Giles.

So the question would be two-fold.

First... "do you trust Giles?"
    Second... "if not, what would it take?"

Using extremes like, "he must convert every save", is as unreasonable as saying, "his outings are always chaotic".

If posters are going to be extreme, why bother respecting what they think?

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's exactly the point. No matter what he does, some will never trust him. (Just look at the multitude of posts prior to him coming in last night).

The closer position is finicky. Guys can lose it just like that. We've seen it first hand. Giles still has room to improve, which is a good thing because he's very good right now.

Houstunna likes this.
  8. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Also note, Giles' staunchest supporters said nothing last night until after the fact.

Look at this thread, Giles' staunchest supporters have yet to say, "I trust Giles." (besides Kaleidosky)

Personally, I'm estatic about his progress this season. His biggest improvement has been his XBH reduction.

#48 Houstunna, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This is my position. I don't see any closer hitting market this year that would be more trust worthy than guys Astros already have. I don't see him as a threat to Giles at moment, but Hoyt has looked great and could threaten for more high leverage situations.

10. Houstunna

Supporting Member

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

We remember the bad, not the good. His ERA is still bad for a closer, but overall he has actually been really good. I don't trust him the way I would and Andrew Miller, but there aren't a ton of those guys going around.

12. T for 3

T for 3 Member

It's funny how some of you whine when the haters jump on giles after every performance....you say it's a long season, have perspective, blah blah blah. Take a look at yourselves.

Anyway, forget this petty argument. Everyone agrees it's a good thing giles is doing well.

Houstunna likes this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Looked at myself....yep, Giles still overall is the best option as closer and has been good since reinstated last year. Of areas of team that are more easily improved at deadline, closer still remains well down the list.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I don't if I can trust a guy who gives up 2-3 runs per every 9 IPs.

15. bobrek

I have said I trust him to be in the top 5 in save conversion percentage, but I don't trust him to be "lights out Lidge".

16. Houstunna

Supporting Member

It should also be noted, a few broadcasters on Baseball Network stated the closer situation might be shaky. The same broadcasters also said HOU was the best team in baseball, so it's not like they were just hating.

Indeed

17. bobrek

Hard to judge relievers by their ERA. A couple of bad games and it is hard to bring it down. It has taken 13 scoreless outings (out of the last 15) to bring it from 9.00 to 3.44.

18. T for 3

T for 3 Member

So you are restating your position after a good outing? Good. Just the same way haters do after shaky outings. Point being: the issue won't be settled anytime soon. Let's be friends.

19. the shark

the shark Member

They gave up a lot to get Giles and thus they're not trading for anyone else.

They have Devo and at the end of the day if you had to choose between him and Giles on who you would put in with the game on the line I think everyone on here would go with Devo.

The question the OP asked is "Do you trust Giles"?

I can only speak for myself, but my uneasiness with Giles isn't just based on this year. He had 15 saves last year in 69 appearances, and he also had 5 blown saves with a 4.11 ERA.

Last yr was last yr but he hasn't really been a closer that long. There's still a ton of baseball to be played, and with each great outing he has he's gaining confidence. For the most part he's been pretty effective this year, but I'm certainly not at the point where I can say "I trust him" and feel positive that he's going to shut the door every time Hinch hands him the ball. What's it going to take for me to "trust" him? That he continues to improve and is consistent, but more importantly I want to see what he does in Sept with games on the line and doing likewise if they make the playoffs.

20. Nook

Nook Member

As an Astros fan I am very pleased he has only blown one save and has been pitching better of late. Still, I do not have the level of confidence in him that I would like for a closer on a 95-100 win team.