1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you trust Ken Giles?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, May 16, 2017.

1. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

The stros already invested, not to mention wasted too many trade chips on Giles, they'll likely get a solid setup reliever who can also close, cheaper than a bona fide top dollar closer.
    Besides, comes playoff, even the best closer will get rocked from time to time.

2. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

yes, and his ERA can back that up uh

3. T for 3

T for 3 Member

to be honest, I don't trust ken giles. folks get upset when I express that though. so, go ken giles!

Houstunna and RasaqBoi like this.
  4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm MadMax, and I endorse this message.

T for 3 and RasaqBoi like this.
  5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

$20 tipjar bet with up to 5 people that Giles saves >= 85% of his chances the rest of the way? That's not top 5 closer stuff, but it's not too bad (for example, David Robertson has been similar the last couple of years). Giles is currently 10/11, so only counting Saves and Blown Saves beyond that.

6. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

I trust him, but I don't like putting all that pressure on one pitcher. I'd like to see Giles and Devo [he really does WHIP it good--best WHIP (.81) on team] get work at both setup and closer. I'd also like to see Feliz/Peacock/Hoyt compete more for middle relief. Stats: http://www.espn.com/mlb/team/stats/pitching/_/name/hou/houston-astros

7. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Whether or not you trust him, using a closer's ERA to judge him is a bit off. Counting today, he has had 12 save opportunities with one blown save. He has given up 2 runs in 11 innings of save opportunities. So if you want to judge him using his ERA in closing situations, it's 1.64.

Do I trust him to have a save percentage in the top 5 of the AL over the course of the season - yes. Do I trust him to be "lights out Lidge" - no.

9. bobrek

What roles do you think Feliz, Peacock and Hoyt have been put in? The vast majority of their appearances have been 'middle relief'.

10. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Nope.

Mental midget. Animal brain.

11. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

12. bobrek

Cut Carter Giles

13. Buck Turgidson

Nah, they just need to move him down in the batting order.

Coach Flip likes this.
  14. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

Just saw this reply. More Devo from middle relief to set-up/closer. More Feliz/Peacock/Hoyt appearances over gregerson/Harris in middle relief.

15. bobrek

Ironic reply based on the way today's game played out (as well as most games this season).

Also, what is your definition of 'middle' relief? Essentially middle relief occurs before the 7th inning which is exactly where Feliz, Hoyt and Peacock have been pitching most of the season.

16. Coach Flip

Coach Flip Member

Our recent batting orders almost makes me break out in hives.

17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Many have complained about Giles, in many cases, rightfully so. But the fact remains the absolute best thing (and easiest fix) is for Giles to figure it out and be the pitcher he was expected to be. His numbers look great, and hopefully it continues. Last night (and much of this season) was awesome!!

Road McCullers was in a similar position. Hope both these guys can continue their surge !!!

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Over the past calendar year, Astros bullpen has the second fewest losses and the third most wins. Dammit Giles!

19. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Maybe Giles can string together a couple of saves and get going?

20. mightybosstone

After that rocky start, I would have said no, but I'm beginning to trust the guy more and more as the season progresses. In his last 15 outings, he's given up only 2 earned runs and 7 hits with 10 saves in 11 opportunities. That's more of what I was expecting when the Astros acquired the guy.