1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do people think about Bitcoin?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Spooner, Jan 25, 2014.

?

What is the fate of Bitcoin?

1. Currency of the future

35.0%
  2. Passing Fad

65.0%
  1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

The biggest problem I see is ransomware hackers asking for bitcoin as method of payment.

Can someone with knowledge of bitcoin explain what countermeasures are in place if any, against use by criminals, drug traffickers, money launders, and terrorists?

Otherwise I see the Treasury Department and Fincen shutting it down rather quickly if more ransom demands involve bitcoin.

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

none really and you wouldn't want it. That would open the door for bitcoin being regulated for any other reason.

you can't shut down bitcoin. you would have to turn off the internet (think bit torrent). Governments could go after exchanges though. It wouldn't stop bitcoin randsomware, but governments have done useless things before.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

How is the .gov going to shut down cryptocurrency? That is the whole point of it. Decentralize anonymous transactions.

4. Space Ghost

The good Gore giveth and the good Gore taketh.

5. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Yes, but at some point a major terror plot will be traced back to bitcoin as the method of finance. At which point, the government will respond via an amendment to the Patriot Act and simply ban the conversion of US currency into bitcoin at the exchange level and cripple the whole mass adoption potential.

So yeah, I don't see this cryptocurrency surviving a major terrorist scandal. Good luck.

6. Space Ghost

You're failing to understand the concept of cryptocurrency. Shutting down an exchange is like removing McDonalds from the NYSE... its not going to stop me from buying a Big Mac. Cryptocurrency exchanges can be founded anywhere in the world. And the government can not forbid the basic principle of barter and trade. And even if some asinine law should come about, its not going to stop the rest of the world from using it. Further, the government already hates the idea of cryptocurrency. Its not going to take a terrorist event for them to make a move against it.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

think of Napster vs. BitTorrent

Napster had centralized servers to shut down, a CEO to arrest.

Bit Torrent has no central server, no owner. It's just a protocol. You can't shut down a protocol.

Bitcoin is the same way.

8. Commodore

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Wow I didn't know it has gone up to that extent.

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

These cryptocurrencies mostly start at extremely low prices (often 0.00000 or lower range), the potential profit margin is ridiculous.

Check the list, there are a ton of currencies and a lot of people are hunting after the "next" Bitcoin and Ethereum. It's an absurdly volatile market right now (sort by 24h change and "show all", many have been absurd this past week).
    https://coinmarketcap.com

11. Commodore

if you wait till it's no longer volatile, you've waited too long

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yup, tough to figure out what coin is the real deal though. Right now it's pure speculation.

13. Mooch

Mooch Member

I'm trying to get into this type of trading. Been trading stocks for years. This is my assumption but please correct me if I'm wrong:

You load your coin base account and "buy" bitcoin at the price it is now. You can't let's say just deposit "500 usd" to sit in your account? I didn't see an option if so. Also if I want to trade within the coins, I have to transfer it to poloniex account and trade that way? And when I want to withdraw I put to coinbase ?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Heavily depends on coin what you're using, need to know more. There are different wallets and exchanges for each coin.

15. dmoneybangbang

How Money got Free is a great book about the history and the future of Bitcoin if anyone where here wanted a good book recommendation about the topic.

I definitely agree with the book that the future of money will play out in the developing world, where they are skipping traditional financial institutions. India recently removed ~85% of its cash out of circulation which is an interesting case study into finance and money itself.

Yung-T likes this.
  16. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Correct. You can't store dollars on a coinbase account.

What does 'trade within the coins' mean? you mean trade bitcoin for ripple or some other cryptocurrency?

17. Mooch

Mooch Member

Like ZEC today. I see in polonoiex its under the BTC column, but coinbase you just trade BTC ETH LTC , but in polonoex you see all these other coins under each tab. Since coin base you deposit with the rate at bitcoin currently, do you think its better to wait for a dip before depositing and getting more value? Is there any other place where it has USD wallet stored and not having to purchase right away? Thanks

18. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Do you guys know anything about how to create "cold wallets" or anything secure to store cryptocurrency?

I don't like the idea of keeping it on Poloniex.

19. Commodore

Trezor

20. le081488

le081488 Member

Don't. Put it into Jaxx or whatever wallet your comfortable with and shift it if needed. Keep what you need in Poloniex to trade but if you're storing it withdraw it to a wallet.