1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Paul Millsap our savior ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DMO (DJ remix), Apr 30, 2017.

?

Would he take us to championship level ?

1. Yes

31 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. No, too old

32 vote(s)
    24.6%
  3. Rather PG or Hayward

42 vote(s)
    32.3%
  4. Will cost too much

16 vote(s)
    12.3%
  5. I'm sick of you DMO, go get a rebound

9 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

very unlikely. guys like millsap and blake aren't good 3 pt shooters as is. They already only shoot 3s when completely uncovered or given out there. more space as it relates to them isn't that relevant. that applies really to guys who can shoot already but don't get the same good looks that this type of offense creates

2. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I've been stressing for months now that Millsap this offseason would thrust us into contender status. He would be our Draymond neutralizer. Very similar players.

Don't be surprised if you hear the news, either. Morey has wanted him for years.

RudyTBag likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Galli will get Ryan Anderson money. $16M on the low end (what he would have been scheduled to make next year), $18M-$20M on the high.

And Portland is capped out.

$26.1M - Damian Lillard
    $23.9M - C.J. McCollum
    $19.3M - Allen Crabbe
    $17.1M - Evan Turner
    $9.9M - Meyers Leonard
    $9.6M - Mo Harkless
    $7.7M - Festus Ezeli (partial guarantee)
    $7.3M - Al-Farouq Aminu
    $6.3M - Ed Davis
    $3.5M - Noah Vonleh
    $2.9M - Jusuf Nurkic
    $2.3M - Shabazz Napier
    $1.4M - Pat Connaughton (non-guaranteed)
    $1.3M - Jake Layman
    $1.3M - Tim Quarterman (non-guaranteed)

Portland is looking at a $40 million luxury tax bill even if they stretch Festus Ezeli’s $1 million partial guarantee and let Tim Quarterman go. Using the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception (about $5.2 million) would run it back up to almost $60 million. At those high rates, unloading any salary means significant savings but Portland’s problem is that most of their money is tied up in either franchise cornerstones like Damian Lillard and C.J. McCollum or deeply unsavory multi-year contracts like Turner and Leonard. They have sweeteners like Ed Davis and three picks in the second half of the first round, but sacrificing assets to clear salary would weaken the team for the sole purpose of saving their owner money. That pattern happens frequently in the NBA but all of Portland’s bad money came on their books a year ago so it is possible they will largely grin and bear it, at least for one season. https://www.si.com/nba/2017/05/19/p...nba-season-preview-damian-lillard-cj-mccollum

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That's a choice block right there. lol

Reeko likes this.
  5. Vivi

Vivi Member

Damn those contracts...aside for Harkless maybe,i think that contract is not bad tbh, but the other three guys...terrible.

Reeko likes this.
  6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If I'm Portland I'm calling up the Nets to dump Crabbe, Turner and Leonard.

It's not like the Nets can sign anybody better through FA with their cap, they would have nothing to loose and everything to gain. Portland could even give them one of their 1st.

Crabbe, Turner, Leonard, 15th pick to Nets. Then the Blazer could sign a forward (or even trade for Anderson) with their cap.

7. Vivi

Vivi Member

Definitely, the Nets are looking for salary dumps according to Woj, Portland has three 1st rounders in this draft...also, the Nets gave Crabbe this crappy contract lol, maybe they would gladly take him with Turner and/or Leonard and one or two picks.

Lol, seems like the Nets are going to get a lot of calls this summer...

8. Lightsnowaction

That is why I said "may". Lou was in the same boat and didn't much, if any, from 3. A huge con on Millsap is his size except against the Warriors and other small teams. Spurs and Cavs and KAT and NOLA and other big teams will kill him inside and the boards.

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

hes a better rebounder and post defender than ryno. either way he might be our best chance at an upgrade.

he doesn't have to be a great 3pt shooter like ryno to be an effective 4/5 for us; his skillset fits very nicely otherwise. although he will command max money and may not be worth it, millsap at max is still better value than ryno at $18M.

replacing ryno with millsap against the spurs would've won us game 5 and probably the series. the post defense against either LMA or pau alone would've done the trick, not to mention the scoring/passing ability. we'd be in the WCF right now.

10. Caesar

Caesar Member

OUCH.

11. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

It's kinda funny when you look at how stacked the Warriors starting line-up are. They are basically an All-Nba second team lineup with 2 former MVPs.

Even if you went out and was able to add 3 of the best FAs in this off-season that aren't on the Warriors already, we still wouldn't be the favorites to beat them. Pretty sad that Adam Silver let one team get this stacked.

The Best FAs not on the Warriors this off-season:

Hayward, CP3, Griffin, Millsap, Lowry, Ibaka (btw, none of these guys made an All-Nba team)

Could adding 3 of any of those dudes make us the favorites over the Warriors? Sure, we'll be able to contend with them but favorites? unlikely.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

On our roster?

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And we forget that the Warriors already have too much Championship n Finals experience.

[​IMG]

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

'It doesn’t sound as if Hawks will offer Paul Millsap a max contract'

Hawks owner Tony Ressler said Atlanta would “make every effort imaginable” to re-sign Paul Millsap.

And then the Hawks hired Travis Schlenk as general manager.

Schlenk, via Chris Vivlamore of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

“We are going to make Paul our best offer,” Schlenk said this week. “Will he have better offers? I don’t know. Do we want to keep Paul? Sure. I said last week, if you are building a team with all the things I’ve said, Paul checks all those boxes. He’s a hard-worker. He’s a good guy. He’s high-character. Skilled. He does all that stuff. We’d like to have him. The reality is, he might get better offers than we can make him.”
    The Hawks are in a pickle.

Locking a 32-year-old Millsap into a max contract, projected to be worth $205 million over five years ($41 million annually), isn’t ideal. Most players decline at that age, and Atlanta isn’t even ready to win more than a playoff or series during the front end of that deal.

But losing Millsap, projected for a max elsewhere of $152 million over four years ($38 million annually), would also bring complications. The Hawks aren’t positioned to replace him in the short-term, and Dwight Howard would be wasted on a team rebuilding around Dennis Schroder and Taurean Prince. The Atlanta market might not tolerate rebuilding, anyway.

There are different people on both sides of the negotiating table, but the Hawks just lost Al Horford after offer him only a little less than the full max. That gives Millsap room to leave and frame the organization as the problem rather than taking the brunt of the blame from Atlanta fans himself.

I don’t envy the Hawks. There’s no good answer here.

Is that right? His max is $38M next year - THIRTY EIGHT MILLION PER YEAR?! :eek::oops:

Vivi and RudyTBag like this.
  15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yeah lets strap ourselves to a 32 year old PF for 4 years.

Give him over $27 mil. a year.

Sure, that's gonna make me excited for this team.

Williamson likes this.
  16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sign and trade for Ryno. :D

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He has developed a 3pt shot.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Contract would be ridiculous.

BUT... if you're in this for real to try for 2nd place or whatever... who cares? What future move will this signing prevent?

I mean it'll be a problem in 4 years but you're either open to trading Harden for as quick a rebuild as possible or you're trying to win now.

To be clear there'd be a lot of better options - Hayward, Blake, CP3, Ibaka (if a lot cheaper otherwise no).... but if all of those options pass and you're legitimately trying to get better... ??

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

And this is why I don't see Morey touching Milsap for that much.

Morey will lose his job if Harden leaves in two years (because the team sucks) and he's stuck with a garbage most likely back loaded contract walking into a rebuild. Morey loses all flexibility and Morey hates that.

RudyTBag likes this.
  20. qwertzy

qwertzy Member

If we wanna be a just play off team then yes.For contender we dont need another robin, we need a real superstar.