1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FIRE RICK SMITH!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ipaman, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

They have done well in the draft in the past few years. 1st round talent on the O-line and Dak and Zeke. Can't also forget La'el Collins. It's a short window but I can see the reasoning behind putting them this high.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

14 is a little high but top 20 sounds about right. They have done good deals to get a lot of picks but those picks haven't turned into wins yet.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Zeke was an easy pick, Collins signed with them in FA, and Dak literally was their last option to take in the draft and didn't play him until he was their last option. They got super lucky more than good

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't disagree but they got good players. Also, remember people were suggesting pick 4 was too high for a RB. They had needs on defense and could have been stupid and gone Ramsey, Buckner, or Floyd. The GM still had to sign Collins. Credit them for doing the deal. You give credit to them for Dak as you do the Seahawks for Wilson or the Patriots for Brady.

Sanity2disChaos likes this.
  5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

So what tf is the point in getting extra picks? Isn't that the ultimate goal?

Yeah let's stock pile picks so we can waste them on first and second round fodders... Brilliant!

They should be dead last IMO.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

That's why they are not top 10. Remember this is a new staff at Cleveland so they've had two drafts and two offseasons. The only big mistake is trading out of Carsen Wentz but they have some good players in the last two drafts and that should turn into wins in due time.

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

So taking Corey Coleman in the first and Cody Kessler with one of their third rounders shouldn't make an even bigger hit on their stock? You replace one huge mistake (passing on Wentz) with two smaller ones... makes sense.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If they play next year's draft right they could be a dangerous team as early as next season.

9. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

I don't think taking Ramsey would have been stupid at all. He's already a stud. They supposedly liked him almost as much as Elliott.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

But he wouldn't have had the impact on win/loss Zeke had.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Are you saying taking Corey Coleman is a mistake after his first season? He wasn't even healthy the whole season.

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

How do you not think it was? It was his first season and he couldn't even get on the field.

If they went with say Will Fuller at least they would have gotten a guy with semi production. Much more than they got out of Coleman.

He's a speed guy that can't stay on the field and use his speed. Kessler is garbage too... especially after his first season. Not questioning that pick are you.

Too much credit is going to them for making moves. Anyone can trade down but what do you do with those picks is worth more than what you get when you trade down like I said. So far, there draft class from last year has been garbage.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

Coleman had 400 yards and 3 touchdowns playing about half the season due to injury. Fuller had two hundred more yards but one less touchdown. Hopkins also had less touchdowns in his rookie year. If he is still producing the same numbers after year 3 then call him a mistake. People like you were calling Clooney a bust after his injury plagued rookie year.

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

As in George Clooney? And no people like me weren't calling "Clooney" a bust after his first season. I never wanted him to be a bust cause he was now a Houston Texan. Don't mistake me for the idiots that don't support players on their team just cause they weren't "their guy".

I'm done arguing about the sorry as Browns. I honestly don't give a sh** what they do cause honestly, it still hasn't proven them to be a contender or even close to being a winner.

BTW our guys played with possibly the worst QB in the league last year... And ya wanna guess where tf he is now?.... That was rhetorical.

Losers gonna be losers.

15. solid

solid Contributing Member

Someone needs to make a thread titled "Promote Rick Smith." This is the ONLY way we are going to get rid of the guy. Make him vice president of football operations and then lock him in a closet at Reliant.

today and raining threes like this.
  16. Nimo

Nimo Member

If you're calling Coleman a mistake after one injury plagued season where he still produced 400 yards and 3 touchdowns, yes it is people LIKE you that called Clowney a bust. In case you missed the capitalization, I said people LIKE you. Which means people that want to label players busts/mistakes after one injury plagued season. The Browns just got a 2nd round pick for your worst QB in the league. They could cut him now and it would still be a good deal for them. This is a review of the GM two years in. Not Hue Jackson, not the GM before him. It is going to take some time but they are building something there.

17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

"LIKE me" or not, I never called Clowney a bust. :rolleyes:

They are building something around what exactly? Brock, RGIII (oh wait he's gone), Kessler?, yeah all those QBs were rostered by this regime, when they had an opportunity at Wentz.

Don't tell me this GM and its staff is doing a better job just because they are making moves. It's great to trade up or down but if you can't find the right pieces than all those picks are worth jack sh**.

Passing up on the one QB that could have changed the franchise set them back 3-4 more years. Do you give this regime that much more time to get it together, I doubt it. They have the #1 overall pick this year but what are the odds they don't have it again next year? Sure the QB class will be better but not only do you have to draft the guys but you also have to develop them. That takes time, time they probably won't have. The Browns organization as a whole has shown an ineptitude to be able to accomplish the development process, with ANY player let alone a QB.

They don't seem to have much of a direction, they're drafting players hoping they'll become playmakers. Garrett (has the best chance being selected #1 overall), Peppers (where will he play LB/S/Hybrid), Njoku (who the hell is going to get this guy the ball).... I have quite a few friends from Columbus, OH and I will tell you they have Hue and this GM staff on a short leash. The mistakes they've already made have proven costly to them and that was out of the gate, no they're working on regroup and recoup mode. But again how much time will they have to wait.

18. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Interesting take by Peter King, who ranks Texans 20th heading into the season:

Key coaching/front-office moves: Two of them: Bill O’Brien takes over for offensive coordinator George Godsey, who paid with his job for the struggles of Osweiler … And in the front office, vice president of player personnel Brian Gaine left for a parallel job in Buffalo. That’s an odd and disquieting move for the Texans.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/22/nfl-power-rankings-offseason-peter-king-part-one#

19. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Does that take into account the hiring of Jimmy Raye III? From what we've read it sounds like a big deal. Only 8 Executive GMs in the league plus his track record bodes well for him/us.

20. today

today Contributing Member

+1000000000000