1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Mueller, Former F.B.I. Director, Is Named Special Counsel for Russia Investigation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, May 17, 2017.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Plenty of very well off folks voted for him; of course, their reason is almost always - it's the lesser of two evils. I don't quite believe that is the reason.

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Have said time and again that uninformed voters will be the down fall of democracy.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You have to consider who the alternative was, that's what pushed voters to Trump. If the Democrats ran a serious candidate, Trump would have lost, instead they ran a national embarrassment and that allowed a different national embarrassment to win the election.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm cool with people not liking Trump. I just think he has legitimate beef with the media

6. NewRoxFan

Trump also brought (and continues to bring on) much of the animosity with the media. Obama could have said the same re: Fox News, and in fact, had one slight temper tantrum. But he later learned to cool the complaints. Trump shows no willingness or interest in improving his relationship with the media... and doesn't have a reasonable gripe as a result. Some believe he doesn't want an improved relationship and wants the feud.

7. NewRoxFan

I guess Trump has given a little more thought to what might happen now that their is a real investigation starting up...

Trump says special counsel appointment 'hurts our country'
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/18/politics/donald-trump-robert-mueller-appointment/

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Trump is a non-traditional racist? Trump casually repeats racist rhetoric and then claims that he is the least racist person on the planet. Trump should own what he says, like an adult.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'm saying he's such a sociopath that is eclipses any racial animus in his soul.

That said, I agree with you. He has to own all the dog whistling and all the blatant stuff as well. It's like some posters around here: even if you're just playing a race baiting game, why should any of us go to the trouble to distinguish that from being an out-and-out racist?

My point is just that he most of all has a human being problem.

No Worries and Ottomaton like this.
  10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Guy's a proven liar and commercial fraudster who begs for attention; he slandered the last President and fired the people who debunked his claim. The man doesn't have a legitimate beef with anyone, anywhere.

Amiga likes this.
  11. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Wrong.

(6 / 140 characters)

12. dandorotik

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Actually no part of what I said was inaccurate even if you still can't bring yourself to realize it.

14. dandorotik

I know this is the narrative you would like to believe, but however much you want to believe it, it's not true. I'd say that about Republicans, as well- George W. Bush wasn't an embarrassment, nor was John McCain, Lindsey Graham, Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, Paul Ryan, Mitch McConnell, etc. Same with Democrats. Maybe Anthony Weiner. There's an embarrassment. And Trump.

Hillary Clinton is not seen by a significant number of Americans as a national embarrassment. There are always going to be people who use this term against anyone, like Reagan, Carter, Bush, Obama, etc. None of them are embarrassments, horrible, etc. when you exaggerate, as you often do, you water it down for the individuals who truly deserve the mantle.

Donald Trump won the presidency for multiple reasons. And there's no guarantee Sanders would have won. We might have had the same outcome.

Donald Trump talks in a folksy way that people can relate to- he's a clown, but they don't care. In that way, he's a very effective communicator despite being extremely poor in his use of the English language. It's rather fascinating to watch.

I completely get his appeal. Heck, as a general rule, I'd be glad to support anyone in office whether I voted for him or not. Trump makes it difficult. I don't think I said more than a few negative words about GW in 8 years on this board. So, no, we're not playing the equal game here. Trump is way, way, worse. And he hasn't even gotten started yet.

(Somewhat off topic: My situation now is that I'm trying to help my son get a job in politics, and he might have an opportunity - with a former Texas congressman who is very extreme-right on some things, like gay marriage. I told him, doesn't matter, you get what comes along at this stage, and then you can decide after that the next step. a job's a job)

But, no, she's not an embarrassment. And Trump keeps making her look better and better every day he's in the White House.

Hakeemtheking and peleincubus like this.
  15. dandorotik

Absolutely it is. You're not putting "I feel that..." in front of your sentences. She's like most politicians- people are split on her. I don't have to bring myself to realize it. She's not. YOU want to believe that, but that doesn't make it so. Embarrassing means you do a number of incredibly stupid things. You can't pick two things (emails and deplorables) and use that as a justification.

I can't help that you have a limited perspective. But you do on this. Hillary Clinton is widely respected around the world. That's not in dispute- there are literally dozens of polls over years and years that confirm this. Hillary Clinton has been voted America's Most Admired Woman for, what, 22 years straight? She had a dip in popularity right around the time of the election, with the same people who hated her husband and Obama hating her, as well. She had a trust issue that was overblown. That's it.

Personally, it makes zero difference whether she wins or Donald Trump does. My business is thriving with DT in the WH. Part of me really wishes he could somehow just get past all this and do a halfway decent job up until 2020. I just don't have confidence that he will. He is his own worst enemy.

Sad!

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well this I agree with to an extent, there's those who feel that she's a national embarrassment and then there's those who are so loyal to the Democratic party that they'll blind themselves to that.

it would really be no different if I said that people are "split" on Trump simply because there are those who are so loyal to the Republican party that they blind themselves to the fact that he's a national embarrassment.

17. dandorotik

No, there are literally millions of people around the world who are very intelligent and know about American politics even more than the citizens who live here. They have no stake in the U.S. game. Start reading some international media. It's a very universal agreement about Clinton and Trump. Those are actually the best people to ask- we here are too biased to give an objective opinion.

I'm a very small sample, but the handful of people I talked to who voted for Trump basically said they wanted a change and they felt Trump would be better for the economy. These are individuals making 6-figure salaries who really don't give a **** about political correctness and all that other stuff. A few even said they know Trump is a buffoon, but if he could make the economy stronger, they'd take the buffoonery. I didn't have a problem with them telling me that- I didn't fully agree with them, but I got their point.

A few mistakes here and there are going to happen to every politician considering the huge spotlight on them. Bush, Reagan, Clinton, Obama... Kennedy, Coolidge, Hayes, Van Buren- they've all screwed up. Like most of us.

Trump is truly at another level. I mean, if you can't see that after literally 100s of obvious examples, I don't know what to tell you. Then you're ignoring years and years and years of stupid, misogynistic, immature, irrational commentary. I thought he was a buffoon for all the birther nonsense, and he hasn't changed. None of the other candidates, except maybe Carson, stooped down to the level of idiocy that Trump did. I have no personal reason to dislike Trump. He's a New Yorker, like me, he's an entrepreneur, like me, and he's probably the type of guy you could have a beer with and some good laughs. But he is also a nutjob. He's the friend you constantly keep having to make excuses for, "If you only knew the real Donald..." yeah, right.

As I said, it's sad. It'd be nice to have a person who isn't an embarrassment. Hillary Clinton would've been doing her job like a professional just as she did as Secretary of State- and making some mistakes like all of them do. But no one reaches Trumpian levels. No one.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm fine with the fact that you've convinced yourself of this but it doesn't change the fact that Hillary is a national embarrassment who honestly belongs in jail. I know that we'll just have to agree to disagree on this because I know you took the election pretty hard and that's okay.

19. cml750

cml750 Member

That is exactly why I voted for him. I do not know if I fit in the well off crowd but I earn pretty fair income. When Trump won the nomination it made me sick to my stomach and I was not going to vote at all. I then realized if I didn't vote for the only person who had a chance to beat Clinton then she might actually win. I still can't stand Trump but I gladly take him over Clinton. That being said, I am damn tired of this Russian BS. I do not think they will find anything but I am glad this is being investigated. If he did something he should answer for it and if he didn't everyone should just shut up about it. All aspects should be investigated including Clinton's e-mails and all the unmasking that took place. If anyone did something wrong they should answer for it whether it is Trump, Clinton, or Obama.

Aceshigh7 likes this.
  20. dandorotik

The way it works, Bobby, is that the person who has to repeat the same phrase over and over again is the one who is convincing themselves of something that isn't true. Otherwise, you wouldn't feel the need for repetition.

So, here goes:

This article lists international opinion polls taken in various countries around the world prior to the United States presidential election of 2016. Clinton was heavily favored in every foreign country where polling occurred, except for Russia and China.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter...the_United_States_presidential_election,_2016

Just 9% of Europeans surveyed have confidence in the presumptive Republican nominee to do the right thing in world affairs, according to a new Pew Research Center poll Wednesday.
    Eighty-five percent of respondents in 10 EU countriessaid they have no confidence in Trump, who has described his foreign policy doctrine as "America First." Trump's rival, Hillary Clinton, earned much more positive marks among Europeans, with 59% saying they have confidence in the former secretary of state. Twenty-seven percent expressed no confidence in Clinton, Pew found.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/29/politics/pew-poll-obama-trump-clinton/

Now, there's no doubt at all that both Clinton and Trump were unpopular candidates. Unpopular is not the same as embarrassing. And Clinton's unpopularity is relegated to the time she ran for POTUS. Generally, she has had some dips, but since 1992, she's had mostly a favorable rating among Americans.

[​IMG]

Mathematics.