1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Watson's arm strength

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, May 5, 2017.

1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Offseason bro.....

Yeah but check out them handz doe! :eek::D

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

rezdawg... I'm generally on the side that there just isn't enough data yet, especially when you can point to GREAT NFL QBs without obviously great arm strength that were drafted before arm strength was so rigorously tested.

That said... it isn't a crazy to conclusion to think a weaker arm, or too strong of an arm, could both be problematic.... or at least certainly not ideal.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I get that you are just trolling, but what exactly do you think my "prediction" of Brock Osweiler was again? It would be kind of funny to hear you embarrass yourself with a false account of what happened.

4. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I don't troll. But hey what was the quarterbacks you like velocity again? And how did the fare in the NFL so far?

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Your actions are proving those words wrong. I get that you just really want to go on blind faith when it comes to Watson and you'll lash out at anyone who injects some reality into the conversation to the point of mindless trolling. It's okay, I know not to expect any more than that.

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Not sure what your prediction of Brock was...but you argued against anyone who thought Brock was trash through at least week 8-10. I specifically mentioned many times that Brock still had the same tendencies from day 1 when he started with the Broncos and had not grown at all as a QB, but you still defended him big time, even though it was clear that he was worthless. It wasnt until everyone in the world knew he sucked when you started saying the same things.

Htownballer38 likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I argued that we should give him a chance before calling him trash when pretty much everyone wanted to do that from day one. I was never saying that he was going to be good, just that he should be given a chance and that was twisted into me being a fan of his. I thought the Texans QB situation was terrible, but I was hoping for the best. We then had "the savior" Savage come in and never throw a TD at any point.

It was the same for all the previous QB's, I'd say "give them a chance" and in the very small minds of some, that made me a fan....and now I'm considered a "hater" for not putting Watson into the HOF just yet and pointing out that he has legitimate flaws as a prospect. People around here have extreme narratives and they sort of demand that everyone go along with them, but that's just not my way.

Anyway, I expect people around here to re-write history to suit their narratives, I just wanted the guy to actually say it instead of just hinting at revisionism.

8. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Form? Where is the flaw?

1) His base is sound. Not much footage of drop backs because he rarely got under center; but
    that doesn't have anything to do with mechanics. Unlike Mahomes who often threw flat footed or on
    his back heels.

He holds the ball well while scanning the field. (Again most QB's that don't play under center say drop backs
    are the most troubling part of going from college to the NFL......in shotgun you keep those monsters in front of you;
    in live play in the NFL, you have to take your sights of those big, fast, beasts). He never saw Von Miller, Cameron
    Wake, K Mack, Avril, Michael Bennett, Dunlap, Nick Perry in college game-in-game-out on a regular basis. Not part
    of throwing mechanics.

2) wind up is good. Unlike Tebow of the past or Darold of USC currently; with a long winding almost starting from the hip.

3) step towards intended target for top velocity.

4) good throwing alignment throughout motion. I hated Osweiler throwing motion; seemed 3/4's almost leaning left
    ear towards left shoulder. His arm looked weak as a result.

5) quick sound release is good.

He doesn't tip his pitch from what I can see.....like pat the ball prior to throwing.
    So other than strengthening......working on mechanics isn't going to do anything. They are as sound as you
    can get them. But that's like saying every player with a low velocity coming out of college didn't work on that flaw.
    Silly.

Let's get one thing straight. Winning in high school and college means nothing to me. Vince Young won at every level.
    Did he win in the NFL? No, people say the owner of the Titans wanted Young; but Fisher didn't want him. Well
    Rick Smith wanted Watson, but I'm not sure O'Brien wants him. Bill is saying good things about Watson; but I saw
    him say good things about Brock Osweiler.......before saying he had nothing to do with bringing in Brock.

Some people are talking about starting Watson week one. It's crazy. The Jags had the 5th best passing defense
    last season (215 yds/gm). Ramsey plays Hopkins tough. See or goggle Brett Kollmann film room episode #32
    where he breaks down the two match ups in weeks 10 & 15. He was all over Hopkins. Watson didn't see that in
    college. And they added Bouye. He more than proved himself to me. Teams tried to pick on him in many different
    ways.

Week two is Cincinnati. They tied New England for 11th & 12th in the league last year (each 238 yds/ gm)

Week three New England. World champs with Belichik known as a defensive genius before he arrived at
    New England. You sure you want to throw Watson to the wolves here. Watson got a lot of yards & TD's
    vs Pitt.....but was intercepted 3 times by that 127th ranked passing defense. There are only 128 div 1 teams.
    Who was better than Pitt in passing defense? Marshall (99), Navy (100), Easter Michigan (108), Fla Atlantic (110),
    Bowling Green (115), Western Kentucky (119), Ball St (126)...... only Arizona St was worse. Patriots would get
    6 interceptions vs Watson. Get out of here. Sorry if people think I'm beating the kid up. I just see it as being realistic.
    Kid is in the big leagues now. He doesn't get a month to prepare for each team like he did prior to Alabama.
    During the year Watson was up and down.....when it was week to week.

9. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

#269 Jatman20, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
  10. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Well damnit let's give Watson a chance then.

11. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Exactly, he defended that crap to the fullest. But wants to act like he wasn't on board with Brock.

He said lol give him a chance but wants to argue about Watson velocity. Im like dude give the young man a chance. And stop relying on frivolous nonsense like ball velocity.

rezdawg likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I am giving him a chance.....but that doesn't mean I'll ignore the flaws in his game and that's what you are b****ing about right now.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I brought up Osweiler's flaws as well....and no one whined like a b**** about it. I'm doing the same thing now and....well here you are.

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

No Bobby was on the Osweiler bandwagon through week 17. During the course of the season, he blamed the o-line, DeAndre Hopkins, Bill O'Brien, and even our #1 ranked defense for being the reason that this team was losing games. He never actually blamed Osweiler for anything. Something tells me he won't be as nice to Watson as he was to Osweiler, I wonder why?

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You think that because you are not an intelligent person. Next question.

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

No, I know that you aren't going to blame a #1 defense or a all-pro receiver like Hopkins when Watson struggles like you did for Osweiler. You are just waiting for the day that you can say I told you so about Deshaun Watson. He has proven you wrong so many times already and you hate that.

Htownballer38 likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When the defense screws up and costs the team the game, I'll blame the defense, when Nuk screws up and causes an interception, i'll blame Nuk.....you know, because that's what intelligent people do. I understand how that would seem foreign to you however.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

So you name the strengths from his scouting report and then narrow in on one weakness and say he is going to be bad? You just have a feeling he is going to be bad. Let's just say that. And you might be right. But let's not act like he is not a skilled QB. Some guys like him and think he is going to succeed. Some don't like him and think he is going to fail. But none of us can go to use analytics and guarantee his future.

It's funny how people only want to mention Tebow and Vince (not Joe Montana and Cam Newton) when they want examples of winners in college. And you're wrong about Vince Young, his problem was not winning. He has a record of 31-19 and won rookie of the year. The reason he had relative win-loss success was because he was drafted into a good team. I think we have the same thing with the Texans. They don't need Watson to be Peyton Manning. They can win with him being Matt Schaub.

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Exactly, he defended that crap to the fullest. But wants to act like he wasn't on board with Brock.

He said lol give him a chance but wants to argue about Watson velocity. Im like dude give the young man a chance. And stop relying on frivolous nonsense like ball velocity.
    Every QB coming into the NFL has flaws. Better yet every player comes with flaws. Im actually laughing at this velocity bullcrap. **** that was never mentioned out your mouth until now.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Unsurprisingly you simply don't know what you are talking about. It kind of prevents the conversation from moving forward. Anyway, let's just leave it at "giving the kid a chance" and you stop acting like a dick when people are worried about the flaws in his game. He's not your son, it'll be okay.