1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Correa finally coming around

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mightybosstone, May 6, 2017.

1. conquistador#11

I've been reading the writer of wrongs before i even had aol, way back, when you had to read the sports section to get the stats. Not once did he use exit velocity. Stop trying to be hipster baseball fan, richard justice! Im with zimmerman of the nationals when it comes to exit velo. It's fun to see. But it's taking the appreciation of the randomness of the game. Let's talk baseball my friends., that bum dallas allowed 2 runs!! Should marisnick be moved up to hit clean up
    Kiddkng

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Clearly stupid Hinch needs to pitch Sipp more.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

When somebody regularly has a high exit velocity he is hitting the ball hard. Hard hit balls are more likely to do damage than poorly hit balls.

I'm not sure why some people are so perplexed by that and write it off as being useless.

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

With 2 hits last night, Correa is T-3rd in MLB with 15 multi-hit games.

5. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Not #1? Oh well, I guess he could still become a nice player.

texans1095 likes this.
  6. mightybosstone

Yeah, I don't get it either. I see a lot of analysts and fans who refuse to acknowledge the usefulness of advanced statistics in basketball, but it seems even worse in baseball. It's 2017. If you're only looking batting average and RBIs and refusing to look at things like OPS, WAR and exit velocity as barometers to determine a player's value, then you're living in the dark ages.

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Baseball typically has more "experienced" fans than other sports.

Experienced dog + new tricks = teach-ability?

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Freaking hipsters!
    [​IMG]

conquistador#11 likes this.
  9. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

but he sucks and is a 22 year old bust!!!

10. Buck Turgidson

You are tilting at windmills defended by strawmen. Nobody who is worth taking seriously thinks like the caricature you're portraying. I'm ready for this meme/trope/narrative/bunch-of-bullsh!t to go away.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I don't really understand war, because its a little subjective. Each place calculates WAR a little differently.

Major likes this.
  12. mightybosstone

What narrative? The fact that there are a lot of people involved with the sport and fans of the game who still judge athletes solely by inferior statistical barometers? Because that's no Don Quixote scenario, chief. That's an absolute fact.

13. Major

Major Member

Coach Flip and his RISP-batting-average-is-the-only-meaningful-way-to-determine-batting-order philosophy disagree. :D

14. Major

Major Member

I have issues with WAR for the same reason. It's just weird to have a statistic that has no uniformity to it.

15. Buck Turgidson

Yes, because it's not a fact. Nobody in any serious FO capacity in MLB thinks the way you think they think.

I don't give a **** about fans.

16. Buck Turgidson

WAR is useful. it's most useful at this point for arranging players in a list sorted by WAR.

17. mightybosstone

Agree to disagree, dude. Moneyball started in baseball before it ever came to basketball and guys like Morey. And that's not conjecture, it's fact. Are you disputing the use of advanced statistics by front offices in baseball? Because I'm not sure where you have a leg to stand on.

18. Major

Major Member

Everyone seems confused in this discussion.

Buck, the original poster was talking about fans and analysts, not front offices.

mightyboss, Buck is talking about front offices all using advanced analytics these days.

19. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

He's saying anyone who is a baseball fan is well aware of and likely a fan of advanced metrics. Which may or may not be true because there's a ton of older fans who pre-dated advanced metrics.

but if you're talking baseball on a baseball (sub)-forum, the people there likely know advanced stats.

20. Buck Turgidson

[I just read the last couple of posts, that pretty much explains it.]

I was originally responding to only this:

And yall are right. I was talking about other people mainly, "baseball people". I conflated "smart people' with "average fan" and I guess "analyst", though I'd go with "old-ass newspaper columnist" instead. I absolutely should know better by now.

Also, I despise the total mischaracterisation of Moneyball, the book, the philosophy, the GM, the author, the whole thing. It's typically prevalent among people who never read the book.