1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 draft sleepers

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ThatBoyNick, Apr 8, 2017.

1. basketballholic

Pumping this guy early. Here's some vid.

Here's a recent game in March that demonstrates his stroke and range. Bombs from deep.

More highlights

Dunks

I can't see him being available in the forties. If he comes stateside and works out before the draft I suspect he'll rise into the twenties. And in my opinion, if he stays healthy his career will be top ten in his draft class. He's improved his skills significantly every year. He's a legit two-way player with NBA level skills on both ends off the floor. He's still got plenty of upside with his work ethic. And he loves the game.

I'd take this kid over a lot of the projected first rounders.

#21 basketballholic, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    don grahamleone, HTX Ninja and AFS like this.
  2. basketballholic

Moving to the obvious.

Frank Mason III is a steal anywhere in the second round. He's a cross between Kyle Lowry, Derek Fisher, Pat Beverley, and little Isaiah Thomas. He'll have a better career than many guys taken in the first. Slightly under 6 feet tall and is 23 years old. So either won't be drafted or will be drafted late.

But he's ready made to play in an NBA rotation. Obviously he can shoot it. And the space of the NBA game will only make him more lethal offensively. Defensively he's quick and tough. A very good on the ball defender. Yes they'll shoot over him. As they do over Chris Paul. But.....Im telling you he's a plus defender despite his size. And he's got the work ethic and winning mentality you want. I'd sign him to a 4-year partially guaranteed deal and watch him work down everybody and earn his spot in my rotation.

His only weakness is height.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

After continuing to look at numbers the 5 names I really like that might fall to the Rockets are

Caleb Swanigan - Legit rebounder, developing a 3pt shot, very good paint/post scorer, has strength and long arms, if he can further develop his shot and cut his fat down enough to play guard PF's then he may very well end up being one of the top talents of the draft.

Monte Morris - Looks like he will struggle on defense, but man his 5 to 1 assist to turnover ratio is insane, excellent pick and roll skills, kind of low volume but high percentage career 3pt shooter in his 4 years. Curious to see what his combine measurements will be, if he can keep up physically in the NBA he could be special with his passing.

Cameron Oliver - Very good shot blocker, solid strength, athletic above the rim finisher, solid defensive rebounder, has a 3pt shot. Listed at 6'8, meaning he's likely around 6'6.5 barefoot, but with his athleticism/strength/shotblocking I think he'l do fine against most 4's. Could be what we hoped Harrell would be (imagine if Harrell had more developed 3pt shot and was a better defensive rebounder)

Mathias Lessort - Capela is a very good finisher, rebounder and shot blocker in the NBA, Mathias who is Clint's his ex teammate, is in the same league, was on the same team and is putting up very similar %'s in all of those categories as Clint, very athletic, strong and quick on his feet. Similar to Clint he's basically a dunk only player on offense, focuses on rebounding and playing D. If he can play like a 2nd 250 pound Capela I'd love to have him but Just don't think he has the same length as Capela (wingspan, might be a inch shorter).

Josh Hart - Very high FG% for a guard, solid defender, solid 3pt shooter, solid rebounder, good size at 6'6 210 for a SG, has a surprising 38 inch vert but overall isn't very athletic, he's just solid all round, could be a similar player to Malcom Brogdon.

4. TMac&Cheese

TMac&Cheese Rookie

Sterling Brown is the true sleeper from SMU not Semi (who will return to school if not given 1st rd). Classic 3 & D guy. 6'6 SF/SG.

Shot 53% from 2, 47% from 3 and 82% from the line over last 2 seasons.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  5. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Some guys I'd love to target in the 2nd:

Mikal Bridges | SF/SG | 6'7" 205 | Villanova | Soph. | 20
    - Bridges might stay, but he's super under-the-radar as a prospect regardless. Most sites have him as a 2nd rounder for 2017 or a late-1st for 2018. He has a 7'1" wingspan, great athleticism, shot 68% TS (55/39/91) on a top Villanova team, and was a big-time difference maker on D. He's an off-ball player who will never be a great creator, but his DTA potential is fantastic. Think KJ with IQ and a smooth J.

Jordan Bell | PF/C | 6'9" 225 | Oregon | Jr. | 22
    - Bell doesn't have a ton of upside, but he's a classic late-2nd Morey type pick. Even though we have Onuaku on board, Bell would be another solid D-League stash. He has length, shot-blocking instincts, athleticism and most importantly, a great motor. He's the type of player that could low-key become a cheap rotation-level big in 2 years.

Kobi Simmons | PG/SG | 6'5" 185 | Arizona | Fr. | 19
    - Simmons was a 5-star recruit who had an average Freshman year (compared to other 5-star PGs like Fultz, Ball, Fox and Smith anyways). He should stay in school for his stock, but he declared recently. He played off the ball at Arizona, so he didn't show many PG skills, and he's pretty raw in terms of development, but he clearly has size/athleticism (to play either guard spot), creating ability and scoring upside. If he slipped into the 2nd (which is definitely possible), he's a great risk to take.

1st Round guys I'd be willing to trade up for:

O.G. Anunoby | SF/PF | 6'9" 225 | Indiana | Soph. | 19
    - He's already been brought up in this thread, but his defensive upside is ridiculous and he'd fit incredibly well on this team. He has a 7'4"ish wingspan, a great frame/athleticism, and the ability to guard 2-3 positions. Obviously he's raw on O, and he's coming off an injury (which hurts his stock), but he'd a fantastic pickup. He'll probably go mid-1st.

Jonathan Isaac | SF/PF | 6'11" 210 | Florida State | Fr. | 19
    - This is unrealistic, because Isaac will go top-8, but I think he's gotten underrated relative to the other top prospects, and he could be a perfect fit here down the road. He's bigger and more polished than Brandon Ingram coming out (his advanced stats destroy Ingram's at Duke), is a difference maker on D despite his thin frame, and has a world of potential/tools on O. With the right development, he could end up being one of the best players from this stacked class.

Zach Collins | C/PF | 7'0" 230 | Gonzaga | Fr. | 19
    - Another guy who's been brought up in this thread, and his stock might also be rising too high to realistically target (now lottery, maybe top-10 level). But Collins has unicorn potential with his stroke and shot-blocking instincts, and unlike some unicorn-types, he can actually bang inside as well. He's not a standout athlete, but him and Capela would be a perfect young duo of Cs for us going forward.

#25 Sen89, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    No Worries and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  6. basketballholic

I like Mikal Bridges a lot. Can't see him being a "sleeper" though because it's too easy to see how good he is. He's a first rounder when he goes. And it looks like he's staying in school. But good scouting there Sens89.

Sen89 and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Antonio Blakeney and Tyler Dorsey declared for the draft, two interesting SG's.

If Dorsey can defend PG's he'd fit well next to James on offense.

8. Fantasma Negro

Imo one of the most underrated players in college basketball.

#28 Fantasma Negro, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    HTX Ninja likes this.
  9. basketballholic

Jamel Artis is a 24-year-old wing out of Pitt that has sleeper potential. Has a very nice release on his jumper. Great range. Quick leaper and quick release. Can shoot efficiently spotting up or off the dribble. Can also make plays off the dribble. Sees the floor well and passes well. Generated contract on drives and gets on the free throw line. Very efficient Rockets style offensive game.

Nothing to write home about defensively. Not a good one-on-one defender but does have good instincts defensively to find the basketball and make a play on it, steal, tip, force ball away.

This guy, because of his age, may not even get drafted. But he's got NBA ready tools offensively. Could be a great sleeper.

#29 basketballholic, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    HTX Ninja and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  10. basketballholic

University of Houston's own Damyean Dotson is another potential sleeper. He's currently rated in the eighties by DraftExpress. That's too low. He should be top 60.

Dotson is a.......perimeter player. I'd say he's a wing but he's showing a decent enough handle and defense that he could masquerade at the point in the NBA.

He's an NBA quality shooter now. Took and made a ton of threes at UofH (over 44%). And made them in all sorts of situations. Coming off screens, catch-and-shoots, pull-ups in transition, step-backs off the dribble, any off the dribble shot, he's got the full arsenal. Knows how to get in the paint for the 15 footer, which is an efficient shot for him, if he is overplayed on the perimeter.

Can also distribute and board. Has a nose for the ball. And plays solid, if unspectacular, defense.

Has good measurables, 6-4/5 height with good wingspan and very good hops. NBA athlete.

The best part is his character and drive. Quality kid. Loves the game. High basketball iq. Even though he was a primary scoring threat and handled the ball a lot, only averaged 1 turnover a game and got it back on the defensive end. Gym rat. Has the work ethic and drive to carve out an NBA career. I would have no problem drafting him in the forties. Reminds me of Brandon Rush before Rush's knee injuries robbed him of some of his athleticism. Except he's a harder worker than Rush is. Like him a lot.

#30 basketballholic, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  11. Progs

Progs Member

If an
    Devin Robinson....small forward out of Florida! 6'8 200. Can also play pf on a small line up. Nice length and defense potential. Strengths: can shoot, motor & drive in for a dunk or lay up. He is a 22 yr old redshirt junior but still has some un tap potential. Was injured last season and his freshman year was ease in even though he always had talent.

12. basketballholic

A legit 3&D prospect. Currently projected at top of second round. Could maticulate up to the first depending on how workouts go.

He is rail thin but whomever drafts him should NOT try to put weight on him. Part of his intrigue is the possibility of him defending the point. With his length and athleticism, he'll need to be rail thin to be quick enough to contain opposing points. I'd let him continue to grind defensively on 1-3 and see what he becomes. He's not good when he dribbles the ball. Shooting goes down and he's not a distributor. Like his game. Don't have any info on his character and work ethic so I didn't profile him. However the NBA tools are readily seen with the naked eye. I don't consider him a sleeper because he played at a major school and is a known quantity. Definitely should be drafted low first/high second unless character issues appear.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  13. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

I suggest u send a message to Morey, I expect Morey can hear ur voice

14. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

I very very like Jonah Bolden

HTX Ninja and basketballholic like this.
  15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Kyle Kuzma looked nice at the combine, his jumper looked legit, solid measurements and good showing in the game, could fall to us in the 2nd. Might be a solid stretch 4.

Cameron Oliver came through with a 7'1 wingspan, 39 inch vert at 240. He's probably my favorite for one of our picks in the 2nd.

#35 ThatBoyNick, May 13, 2017
    Last edited: May 13, 2017
  16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Derrick White also looks nice, haven't heard of him until now due to his super low stock before draft.

At glance he seems to have it all.

Size, athleticism, 3pt shooting, finishing ability in the paint, defense, passing, rebounding. Knocks are his age at 23, and only having one year of D1 under his belt.

He went from being projected undrafted to late 1st/early 2nd in the matter of days. His versatility is insane, would love to pick him up, as well a Cam Oliver with our two 2nds.

#36 ThatBoyNick, May 13, 2017
    Last edited: May 13, 2017
  17. basketballholic

I'd
    I'd rather have Bolden over either one of those guys.

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I can't properly access Bolden since I don't know how his numbers translate, nor have I watched multiple full games of him playing. I can't go off highlights.

Oliver's versatility is special, 3pt shooting, defensive rebounding, shot blocking, athleticism, strength and finishing ability in the paint. His biggest knock is his size at 6'8, but with his shot blocking instincts, 240 ripped pounds of muscle, 39 inch vert, 7'1 wingspan he should be just fine for the PF position, which his shot should allow him to play full time at.

Kuzma's 3pt shot, rebounding and inside finishing ability look good, his size is solid, but his defense scares me off a bit, he tested well with his athleticism at the combine so perhaps he'll be able to hold his own.

My two picks would be White and Oliver (with Josh Hart as a close 3rd). What would your two favorite picks be? Among those who could realistically slip to our picks that is.

HTX Ninja likes this.
  19. HTX Ninja

HTX Ninja Member

You guys think Morey will buy some late 2nd Round picks with cash? Could get some draft n' stash players...

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think he signs at least a couple of undrafted players to multi year contracts. There's going to be a nice handful or two of guys who go undrafted that are definitely worthy of taking a shot at.

Jayzers_100 and HTX Ninja like this.