1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 MLB Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jan 27, 2017.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Carlson's Perfect Game profile page

Sam Carlson is a Florida commit.

#61 tellitlikeitis, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
    mikol13 and Hustle Town like this.
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Our good friend's son has caught Carlson on select teams since they were 11.

tellitlikeitis and Hustle Town like this.
  3. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Is this all we get? No inside info? ;)

4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If they draft him, I'll get all the inside scoop and dirt on him.

Hustle Town likes this.
  6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Red flag?

7. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last time Astros picked 15th?
    1982; Steve Swain

But they did draft studs at 16 and 17
    Lance Berkman and Brad Lidge

Rockets Pride likes this.
  8. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Mock Draft dump post:

Perfect Game (see post #61): Sam Carlson
    MLB: Jim Callis - Shane Baz
    Jonathan Mayo - Griffin Canning, RHP, UCLA
    Baseball America: Clarke Schmidt, RHP, South Carolina (Schmidt recently underwent Tommy John surgery, so I imagine they'll change the pick in the next mock)

9. Progs

Progs Member

Given that the new international rules will take effect in July 2, and Astros can't spend more than 300k for a int. prospect in the next 2 years; and Astros most likely picking really low, possibly drafting last in next year's amateur college draft, Astros have to load up during this draft coming up. Because is going to be the last time Astros will pick high enough (15 pick) and have enough money in their money slots to get creative, and draft high enough to get a premier talent!

10. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I really want Shane Baz. Local guy who I'm sure the Astros have had plenty of time to scout. Dipping into the well of Texas pitchers by takin Whitley last year has looked like a good pick so far and I would love to do it again by taking Baz. Fastball up to 98 and flirts with triple digits. Everything I've read on him raves about his polish and repoirtore for a HS pitcher. One Perfect Game article even went as far as to say that he might be the most polished HS pitcher since Jose Fernandez.

11. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

Don't we have like 5 picks in top 100?

No Worries likes this.
  12. Progs

Progs Member

Astros top 5
    5 picks with in top 91

Rockets Pride and mikol13 like this.
  13. awc713

awc713 Member

I'm really interested to see the rationale for Romero's departure from UH. If he could slip to us at 15...oh boy.

Side note: I really enjoy knowing almost nothing about the draft prospects. Much different than 2010-14...

Rockets Pride likes this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not sure if serious. Getting suspended, reinstated, and then kicked off college team raises a huge red flag. It would be one thing if this was football or basketball where a high pick can usually start right away without needing further development. Even then it is risky. In baseball, tough to bet on low makeup prospects putting in work in minors to improve.

texans1095 and No Worries like this.
  15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

16. texans1095

texans1095 Member

For someone without insider, who did he have the Astros taking?

17. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Oddest thing about that article was it said Chronicle broke the story. It has been a long time that I've been cognizant of the Chronicle breaking a news story on a home team. Not saying it doesn't happen...just that haven't felt I missed a story before by no longer reading.

19. awc713

awc713 Member

I'm reserving judgment until I hear what happened.

If he was kicked off for prioritizing his MLB future over UH's immediate goals, then I'm okay with that. Heck, even if he's just a bit of a prima donna, so what? He'll get humbled quickly and HOU should have the structure to put him in his place. Tons of MLB stars (and duds) have attitudes. I'm not too worried about attitudes. At the end of the day, it's about production. And our lockerroom should be able to handle a prima donna rookie. That said, seeing exactly what transpired is key.

Now, is he talented enough to make that risky pick? That's the 1.8 million dollar question (or whatever our slot is), and I honestly haven't paid enough attention to make that call. But I wouldn't wholly dismiss the idea of grabbing Romero just because of the flag. He's been called the most polished pitcher in college, no? Sure, it's a risky, but with our pool this year, we can afford to take some risks.

#79 awc713, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

You don't get kicked off a team, reinstated, and then kicked off permanently for prioritizing MLB future or being a bit of a prima donna. I'm not aware of 1 MLB player kicked off his college team twice. Production is all that matters. What will his production be for rest of the season for UH? UH only had to deal with him for a couple more months and couldn't take it even though he is a star in college. In pros, it takes talent and work ethic. He doesn't even have the discipline to keep his head down for an extra month until he makes a million dollars. I highly doubt he has the discipline to put in the work needed to develop for the majors.

Not saying I would take him off draft board completely, but I doubt any team will risk a first round draft pick on him without some serious cost savings in slot money.

Yaosthirdleg and No Worries like this.