1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UDFA thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

Zamora may be better than the worthless Will Fuller.

2. sanedolt

sanedolt Member

Giants get Chad Wheeler too...

3. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

How?

4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have to admit by looking at that list I am really disappointed we didn't get more UDFA who were rated 5.1 or above on the draft tracker. At the end of the draft there were 16 WR, 15 OL, 13 DL, 7 RB, 7 LB, 5 S, and 4 CB/DB players left who had a 5.1 rating or higher. At least we got one of the linebackers and running backs, but I am disappointed we didn't sign any others rated 5.1 or higher at positions we needed more depth in.

That being said, a list is simply made from opinions of others. There will always be someone special who isn't on that list who just wasn't at the right school or in front of the right people, but who has just as much potential. Maybe our scouts found a few of those diamonds in the rough that has just as much potential as the others. I hope so.

#44 deb4rockets, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Nimo likes this.
  5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Udfa is one of the areas this team has excelled historically so I struggle to find room to criticize them on it.

texans1095 and deb4rockets like this.
  6. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I wasn't criticizing as much as just saying I was disappointed. I also said that the numbers may mean nothing, so maybe just because they weren't on the list doesn't mean as much as a lot of people make it seem to. All I know is that we need some players to be able to make some impact at Safety and Cornerback with Demps and Boye gone. We are very thin at those areas, and injuries are part of the game, so hopefully we get enough guys to keep those positions deep with players who will make a difference if Jackson, Johnson, or Joseph get hurt again.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Could it be that Fuller only appeared to Worthless because of the Turd a QB? Then again, I've seen your post......most of them are worthless....so u probably know.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

There's no doubt that poor qb play hurt fuller, but fuller also put his drops issue on full display every game. He dropped a deep ball almost every game, including the playoffs, that was right at his hands. He needs to get better at those as it is his only real plus trait.

Rashmon and texans1095 like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Camp fodder and a potential ST guy.

10. liveguy

liveguy Member

Texans need to bring 'dre Johnson in as WR asst. coach or something and make Fuller do 20 push-ups for every drop in practice and in game.

texans1095 likes this.
  11. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

20 push-ups might build up his arms but having very small hands for a receiver is probably a lot of the problem. Let's just hope his speed makes up for a few drops in the long run.

texans1095 and justtxyank like this.
  12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

All the NFL.com draft ranks were one man's assessment, specifically LZ's. Not to say that they are inaccurate, but you need to realize that lots of people including the other draft pundits have rated these guys much differently. PFF for example listed JoJo Mathis in their top 60 of ALL prospects, and obviously the best undrafted one, and he's in our camp now. LZ may have heard from other scouts who were concerned about his immaturity and his medicals (his foot specifically), but coming from an UDFA that's a risk you take any day of the week. There's no downside so you let him push himself as far as his body can take him.

deb4rockets likes this.
  13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Awesome! Something more for me to root for during the summer.

14. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

looks like a pass rushing monster. Way to go Rick

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The Texans picked up Zamora??

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

My bad. Raiders.

18. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-texans-reportedly-agree-with-udfa-joe-mathis/

• According to reports, the Houston Texans have landed PFF’s No. 1 UDFA Washington edge defender Joe Mathis.
    • The Texans may already have Jadeveon Clowney and Whitney Mercilus, but Mathis is a name to watch that could rise up the depth chart if he stays healthy.
    • He ranked second in the class in pass-rush productivity. Mathis accumulated 30 pressures in just the first six games before injuring his foot.
    • He has shown to also be very effective against the run, ranked ninth in run-stop percentage.
    • Mathis can be versatile and still produce — lined up 49.2 percent of his snaps on the right edge (ranked third in PRP) and 40.1 percent on the left (fourth in PRP).

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. Fantasma Negro