1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans select Julie'n Davenport, OT, Bucknell

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Apr 29, 2017.

?

What do you think?

1. Like it?

39 vote(s)
    76.5%
  2. Love it?

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  3. Hate it?

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

4. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Consensus is that he has all the physical tools, but is extremely raw and has little technique. He's basically an upside pick and a guy that'll take some time to develop into a possible starter at RT. More of a depth pick than to fill the hole at RT. Think they'll get a guy in FA or give Lamm a chance to win the job.

It's just too bad this particular draft has such poor depth for offensive linemen. Hell, the 3 top guys all have faults in their game. Just a bad time to need a RT.

5. CallMeTheDream

Don't know much about this guy. How's the value and where does he rank among the other lineman?

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Cool first name

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. daherro^_^

daherro^_^ Member

looks a bit thin

11. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Hopefully he develops quickly. Def has the size lol

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Guy has ridiculously long arms and amazing potential.....but he's a project.

13. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Like 98% of the OT's in this draft......play at OG until they get use to the NFL.

Like 98% of the OTs coming out in this draft......if at RT will need help: chip or double team blocking from TE's/RB's.

I didn't want an OT drafted in the 1st round that may need to login most time at Guard; but 4th round is ok.

Texans draft selections this year "may have the potential" to challenge the 2013 draft as the worst
    due to risks. Hopefully it turns out well.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

Wow. I couldn't disagree with you more.

17. Buck Turgidson

All I see is OT...

so this is good?

18. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Julie'n as a tackle.....soon? I had him possibly drafted by Houston in the round he was drafted.

Risks of players:
    1) D Watson: I didn't wanted him at #25.....I definitely didn't want to move up & give up picks for him. That
    will take time to determine whether I'm right or wrong. Type of college offense that QB's are having trouble
    transitioning to the NFL.
    2) Cunnngham: active but is a little undersized at 234 lbs....can be swallowed up by linemen. He was graded
    as a 1st rd pick; so good value. Just saying you take risks.
    3) Foreman: I'm a Longhorn guy, but it's a luxury pick....who has a possible stress fracture concern. If it is that
    troubles the players game for about a year and a half. Clowney had a stress fracture. Just saying it's risky.
    4) Davenport is a project. Some guys drafted in the 1st rds in years past:
    In 2013 the Texans drafted Sam Montgomery, Joeckel, Greg Robinson, Mike Adams, Riley Reiff others were all
    talented 1st round picks that have had trouble playing tackle in the NFL. Texans need back up guards also.
    5) Carlos Watkins: 1st-2nd projection....good value pick. Could get a big body to clog up the middle in the 7th rd.

Texans must believe in Corey Moore, Ballentine, Dillion, Scarlett, Robert Nelson. They see them every day. They
    know them better than I do.

Swearinger, Brennan Williams, Trevardo Williams, Bonner, Chris Jones, Quessenberry. Only Hopkins & Griffin
    made it.

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

Well that shouldn't be all you see. I think a lot of us were fooled into thinking the Texans were looking to get a tackle early in the draft. They weren't. There was no Duane Brown in this draft as far as prospects go. They got one in the 4th round and will probably get some more in the next few days/weeks.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

1) He wasn't your guy and that is why you don't like the pick. You can say the same thing about adjusting to the NFL about any other college QB. Deshaun was the highest ranked in this draft yet was the 3rd picked.
    2) Sounds like you liked Cunningham. Undersized if you play him like Cushing/McKinney. Not so much if you compare him to Alec Ogletree. An absolute steal in the 2nd. Like I've said before RBs that could catch and run have been killing the Texans the past couple years. Its partially why Lamar Miller is now a Texan. They finally addressed this. Love it!
    3) I said all last season that the Texans really need a power back. All the RBs were too similar. Lamar shouldn't be running up the middle so much.
    4) Not sure why you're comparing 1st round picks to Davenport but he was picked in the round I absolutely expected him to get picked. Coach Devlin spent a lot of time with him and he obviously has a lot of confidence in JD.
    5) At this stage you lean towards getting BPA.

I can't back it up but I think the Texans would have picked a safety if there wasn't such a huge run on safeties in the 2nd round. All the guys I wanted were gone by the Texans were on the clock.