1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017 NFL Draft/1-12] Deshaun Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2017.

?

Do you like the decision to trade up & select Deshaun Watson?

1. Yes

90.8%
  2. No

9.2%
  1. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

The amount of athletes who love Watson is pretty insane. I feel like we got Lebron. I love the support.

He will def be courtside at the Rockets game on Friday.

htownrox1 and texans1095 like this.
  2. MexAmercnMoose

this...i may pay more attention this season

3. Nook

Nook Member

Carr wasn't terrible his first season.

In fact his first year in the NFL was better than what the Texans have gotten from the position the last two seasons.

The Texans were 9-7 the year that Carr was a rookie, it wouldn't have made much difference.

The Texans just screwed up and passed on him and they tried to fix the issue with Osweiler last year and now with Watson. I don't know how good Watson will be, but at a minimum it shows that the Texans are attempting to address the issue.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The amount of seismic movement from one year to the next makes playing for next year a bad choice. QBs can regress, get hurt and assuming the Texans are, with their defense, a 7+-win team, you would have almost no control over your ability to acquire one of those QBs even if the class did prove to be light years better.

Plus, and this is soooooooo important: if you like a guy, you pull the trigger. Maybe the Texans acted out of desperation. But they *do* have what most think can be a serviceable QB on their roster; they didn't *have* to make this move. To me, it tells me one of two things - they're not too high on Savage, or.... they REALLY liked Watson. (Or, it could be the owner mandated they make a big QB splash and, well - here we are.)

texans1095 and tierre_brown like this.
  5. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

The first 3 twitter follows for Watson since the draft.

Texans, JJ Watt and Christian Louboutin.

6. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Agreed.

There are lots of idiotic stuff on this board with morons trying to be an expert.

All these craps about noodle arms, not a typical passer build, at best game manager stuffs, it all sound like someone that just got layoff by ESPN whose has no idea at what they are talking about. But its just cool to say it so that they can look like an expert.

Osweiler is a horrible QB, but that deal last year was not a horrible decision.

There is nothing guaranteed in this world, when sh't doesn't work out, you fix the mess and move on, and you keep trying.

This team needs a QB, and we need to get one, now.

It is that simple.

There is nothing out there that anyone will think to even worth to take a look at, not to talk about investing on them.

This pick at 12 for a QB is a reasonable gamble, if it works out, f**cking great. If it doesn't, well then you try again and again next year and the year after, it is still way better than sticking with some journey men forever.

Now back to this kid, someone said at best he will be just a game manager, like we have seen in Sea/Dal/Buf.

Well, I consider the QBs in Sea/Dal are playmakers, not game manager. People will agree they both had some awesome comebacks late in the game in the last several seasons.

In this modern era of football, I will trust this type of QB when I have a drive in the last 2 minutes and down by 4 in the game than any other QB not named Roger or Brady or Brees.

7. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

DeShaun Watson was the best player in college football two years ago and led his team to the national championship game where he played well, then backed it up by leading his team to a national championship last year, with a game winning drive in the final minutes where he was at his best. Both games were against a defense littered with NFL caliber athletes, I might add.

Yes, he has flaws in terms of pocket awareness, making reads, etc. But he has the "it" factor that you can't teach and he makes plays, period. The fact that guys like Trubisky and Mahomes went ahead of him shows that NFL personnel people get way too caught up in physical tools and having to fit the standard NFL mold at the position.

Every Texans fan should be excited about this pick.

red5rocket and RasaqBoi like this.
  8. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I understand; even looking at Watson, I believe after last year's draft he was pegged as being a surefire top 5 pick and the best QB, etc. So the movement is real. I would like to emphasize that this is only my opinion: I was not a fan of the move. Maybe they really liked Watson. I'm hoping that's the case. I guess I am not someone who thinks the "Win Now" mentality is ever a good one if it means mortgaging the future; I mean, next year our first pick will be in the third, correct?

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

Obviously I was not in my right mind last night. But I agree with your fist statement. Not just trying to fit him into the system but also if O'Brien doesn't really like him, he might not get a fair chance.

10. Indaface

Indaface Member

I can understand why people would have apprehension about the move and the qb but honestly if rick and BOB were gung ho 100% all in on him them I completely understand why they did it.

Now if they saw Mahomes go at 10 and freaked out and did it in an act to just get someone then yeah it would be a problem.

From what i've seen heard pre and post draft it seems like both guys are locked into him so let's let it play out and support him.

Let the fake fans who would rather be right about some evaluation they read about and keep parroting in every thread than see what the kid has got keep on doing what they do.

There's been a lot more "measurable" busts in the first round at the qb position than someone who actually produced and won games and championships in college so i'm all for it.

#270 Indaface, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Vick and Bev giving Watson props. Love it and thank you Rick

texans1095 likes this.
  12. Hey Now!

Well... the "it" factor has no bearing on winning games in the NFL if it's not paired with physical tools. I do think "it" exists - I think there are guys who are driven and charismatic and teammates love. Tim Tebow, I think, has oodles of "it" - but he was physically deficient at the NFL level. I think VY had "it" - but lacked mental toughness and couldn't translate his game to the NFL. Hell, man - Johnny Football spilled "it" out of every pore of his body but...

We'll see if Watson can pair "it" with the physical tools to succeed. I do think, in the interim, that he'll be a fairly popular figure around the NFL and raise the Texans' profile.

texans1095 likes this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

It sounds like they had a plan in place pre-draft with the Browns.

Once they saw that Mahomes was picked at 10 after the Chefs moved up for him they launched the plan and succeeded in netting their QB of the future.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

PFF seems optimistic. I think we avoid the quick game last year because frankly Brock sucked at it.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-houston-will-need-to-structure-offense-for-watson/
    HOUSTON WILL NEED TO STRUCTURE OFFENSE FOR WATSON

The Texans traded up to select Deshaun Watson. If he's the starter, Houston will likely have to do some offense restructuring.

PFF ANALYSIS TEAM | 1 HOUR AGO
    [​IMG]
    (Elsa/Getty Images)

• The Houston Texans made a big trade Thursday night, forfeiting their 2018 first-round pick to move up 13 spots and draft QB Deshaun Watson out of Clemson.
    • Time is running short in Houston after another failed experiment at quarterback by Bill O’Brien’s regime.
    • The team were desperate for a signal-caller after giving up on Brock Osweiler after a disastrous season.
    • Watson could legitimately claim to be the top quarterback in this class, but his fit in Houston appears awkward.
    • Bill O’Brien runs a pro-style offense with deeper drops to test intermediate coverage.
    • In contrast, Watson played in a spread style attack at Clemson, relying on a number of short drops and quick-hitting passes to get into a rhythm.
    • Overall, the Tigers called 3-step drops on 45.1 percent of snaps in 2016, almost four times as often as Houston (12.2 percent).
    • Further highlighting the difference, Watson averaged a time to throw of 2.28 second, significantly faster than Houston’s quarterbacks’ average of 2.66.
    • One of Watson’s greatest assets is his accuracy on throws around the line of scrimmage; 14.1 percent of his passes were wide receiver screens in 2016.
    • Houston rarely employed the quick game last season, with Bill O’Brien calling wide screens on only 1.9 percent of plays.
    • Slow starts were a problem for Watson at times in 2016 – in particular in games against Troy, Georgia Tech, and Florida State – but once he found his rhythm, he was unstoppable.
    • Watson’s intelligence and work ethic suggests he can adapt to the Texans’ requirements, but his new head coach must tweak his offense to maximize his production.
    [​IMG]

Related Posts

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  16. Fantasma Negro

Funny seeing Vick say that because imo the best comparisons for Watson is Michael Vick with a better throwing motion

17. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Tim Tebow never had to pass in college. He basically served as a wildcat QB and a fullback for the Gators. VY went 10-6 as a rookie and made the pro bowl. If Jeff Fisher had a brain and not tried to repeatedly fit a square peg in a round hole, VY would have been just fine. Johnny Manziel basically scrambled around like a chicken with his head cut off like Roethlisberger until he could throw it up to Mike Evans more often than not. Watson is more like VY than either Manziel or Tebow. Not as physically gifted, but he shares many similar characteristics.

And no kidding, you have to pair skills with "it" to be really good at the NFL level. But Watson has passing skills. You don't throw for 800 yards and eight touchdowns against an Alabama defense with tons of NFL talent in two national championship games if you don't.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I've slept on it and now I'm on board. From here on out, any time someone brings up any of Watson's legitimate shortcomings as a QB I now know to respond with "Doesn't matter Brian, beat Bama twice Brian".

I feel much better about all of this now.

red5rocket and houstonstime like this.
  19. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

20. Hey Now!

Yeah; isn't that kind of Brady's bread and butter? Quickly identifying the weak spot and exploiting it fast, fast, fast? That report bodes well.

What I like about Watson... if BOB is here for the long-term, he's going to be forced to adapt to his QB. We've seen him not only do that previously - but do it quite well. I, frankly, think that might be his forte: being untethered an creative. I hope so. I'm tired of coaches with square holes. The holes should be mallable.