1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017 NFL Draft/1-12] Deshaun Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2017.

?

Do you like the decision to trade up & select Deshaun Watson?

1. Yes

90.8%
  2. No

9.2%
  1. likestohypeguy

I was hoping to see something from the black-qb-only fan, and that JJ FATT guy.

Both delivered classic zingers in the first few pages!

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    After sleeping on this news and reflecting further, I'm more sour on this pick/move than I was last night. I think the front office (not O'Brien, but the front office) panicked here after striking out in free agency and then selected the quarterback that they thought could contribute the most in Year 1. That could very well be Watson. Watson's running ability and intangibles will help early on, just as it helped RG3 and Vince Young early on. As he ages, he will slow down and the weapon that keeps the secondary honest will be gone. Then it will be all about arm strength, accuracy, and reads, all areas for which Watson is a low grade prospect.

If you are building a franchise, you want a guy who will fit the NFL system, which Watson, in my opinion, does not. His best years will likely be his first and second years, given the run angle. Without listening to the insecure, rayciss-obsessed criticism from around here, his Wonderlic score is a major concern of mine. It was reported as being the lowest in the QB class. There is a reason why the test is incorporated into scouting -- because it has predictive qualities (not always, but many times). I'd rather it be high than low and this is a valid concern.

I'm hopeful that the Texans build an offense like Seattle, Buffalo or even Dallas, where the run game is emphasized, rollouts are emphasized, and the QB is more of a game manager than a guy who will take over the game. Watson will not fit into a Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees led offense. Best case we get Marcos Mariota, but a more likely case is Tyrod Taylor (which is not bad). Downside case is obvious -- RG3 or VY in the later years.

GOOD DAY

4. basketballholic

Put the kid in and let him play. Let's get on wid it.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

Think for you guys, this was the only move to make. Had to be done. But the last two moves definitely come with a severe cost.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  6. Indaface

Indaface Member

I like it, of the three main qbs this year Watson is the one I would have preferred.

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Sike!

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

Watson > Rodgers

9. conquistador#11

Can anyone with an account to fancy pants stats post what % of plays did we run from shotgun? It felt like 70/30

#249 conquistador#11, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  10. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

If you expect to draft an NFL ready QB in this day and age, you're likely going to be disappointed 99 out of a 100 times. Most college offenses do not prepare their QB's for the NFL. Most teams/QB's are very rarely under center taking snaps.

IMO, this pick is strictly for next year and beyond, and I dont think Watson will play this year, unless there's major injuries to Savage and even Weeden. Players have said learning BoB's offense is like learning another language (if I rmr correctly), and having a rookie QB start from Day 1 would not be smart at all for the franchise or for Watson's future in the NFL.

11. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I have no idea how I feel about the pick, I liked Mahomes as well as Watson at 25, and Kizer in 2nd. At the same time, I said if they felt any QB was their franchise QB you do whatever to get him. I also said that I would be fine with whatever pick because no matter what you guys say, Rick Smith has owned the first round. He may suck it up for the next day or 2 but he doesn't miss first round picks. So lets wait and see.

12. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Exactly my take. The dominos started falling when Chicago moved up to take Trubisky at no. 2. Then KC went after Mahommes and Smith and BoB decided to make the move for Watson. It's just the way things played out.

13. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Right before Cleveland was about to go on the clock, I felt that Watson was about to go at 12. I was thinking ok they are not going to get Watson now. Then they went to commercial and I didn't know the Texans had traded up for the pick.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Here's disputing the velocity concerns:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/20...or-of-how-good-he-will-be-in-the-nfl/a93ef5p/

16. Mr. Space City

i don't think there is any way watson can be worse than osweiler.

osweiler stats last year.

2957 yards 15 TDs 16 INTs

59% completion %

isn't the objective to get better?

if watson is even average that's a win for the texans

#256 Mr. Space City, Apr 28, 2017
    RasaqBoi likes this.
  17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

His velocity is 53.5 here; it's due to him flat footed

#258 zeeshan2, Apr 28, 2017
  19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Here's what I know definitively, this 28th day of the fourth month of the year 2017.... the Texans are a far more interesting team today than they were at this time yesterday.

Any other analysis beyond that.... is kind of meaningless.

dmoneybangbang, MadMax, BigM and 3 others like this.
  20. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Pretty surprised at the split: 172 votes for yes (86.9%) and 26 votes for no (13.1%).

I get why they made the move. I do not agree with it. Next year's QB class is supposed to be significantly better. I understand Texans fans are tired of repeating the mantra of maybe next year, but this entire offseason just stunk of desperation. I'm not even down on Watson, I think he can be an average starter in the L, which is better than any of the garbage we've had back there. Still, if our bar is set merely at "better than Osweiler," then this franchise isn't going anywhere. Again.

I would rather build in the trenches and put a foundation in place to protect the next signal caller for 5-10 years. That's how you build a perennial contender. You look at our OL and what used to be a significant strength is now aging and about to fall off a cliff. Would love to eat crow, but I'm not sold.