1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017 NFL Draft/1-12] Deshaun Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2017.

?

Do you like the decision to trade up & select Deshaun Watson?

1. Yes

90.8%
  2. No

9.2%
  1. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Oh the drama.

White Owner
    Black GM
    White Coach
    Black QB

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Watson was my favorite QB in the draft but I wasn't a fan of trading up. However, I assumed it would require surrendering picks from this year. They still have all their picks for this year (it's obviously a make or break year for somebody in the organization). If Watson is as good as I'm expecting, I don't really care about next year's 1st. If they can get a safety (like Josh Jones or Marcus Maye) in the 2nd and then get their OL in the 3rd.

3. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

The Bears gave up a 3rd/4th '17 and a 3rd in '18 to move ONE spot. The cost is the cost. We got the best first round QB in either the '16 or '17 drafts. I'm thrilled.

I heart Watson. He's someone my kids can root for on all levels on and off the field. He's not defined by the game. He defines the game. Dude is a flat out baller. I haven't posted about it b/c I thought Texans were gonna Texans. Continue to be underwhelmed and underestimate him at your own risk.

The only thing which would shake my confidence is that BoB actually endorsed this, but not even our crappy QB decision making history can shake my confidence in this pick.

As has already been mentioned he's got things you can't teach - Intangibles. Clutch. Responds to adversity. Toughness. Innate playmaker. Not just a leader, but THE leader.

He's going to be a legend w/ our defense backing him up. Cash the check.

Perki-Perk, macho GRANDE and hiephopp like this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

SI:
    Three quarterbacks in the top 12, three pricey trades up for the teams that took them. For the Texans to get from No. 25 to here, the cost was that 25th pick plus a 2018 first-rounder. Remember, the Browns already own Houston’s 2018 second-rounder, as part of the Brock Osweiler salary dump. But the Texans could not carry a playoff-ready roster into next season with Tom Savage and Brandon Weeden manning the QB depth chart. Watson threw too many interceptions in college and he’ll need time to transition into Bill O’Brien’s offense, but he is the most talented quarterback there by a wide margin. This has to work, because the Texans mortgaged their ‘18 draft to solve a mess of their own creation.

Scouting report: Watson took Clemson to back-to-back national title games, winning in 2016—he was at his best in big games for the Tigers. An exceptional athlete, Watson can roll into an incredible rhythm as a passer. He shows enough presence to manipulate DBs with his eyes and footwork, and he can pass comfortably in the pocket or on the move. Watson can be sloppy at times, tossing interceptions or missing big plays. And he will risk injury if he runs in the NFL as much as he did in college.

Player comparison: Marcus Mariota​

Rotoworld:
    Texans traded up with the Browns to select Clemson QB Deshaun Watson with the No. 12 overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft.
    Houston gave up No. 25 and their first-round pick in 2018 to move all the way up. Cleveland now owns the Texans' first- and second-round picks next year. Watson (6’3/221) made 35 starts in three years at Clemson, leading the Tigers to a 32-3 record and twice winning the Davey O’Brien Award as college football’s top quarterback. He completed 67.4% of his passes with an 8.4 YPA and 90:32 TD-to-INT ratio. An 81st-percentile athlete, Watson added 26 rushing TDs at 4.4 yards per carry. While Watson was a prolific college player, his accuracy and velocity are questionable with sub-baseline 45 MPH ball speed and a tendency to poorly locate passes. He managed a 20 Wonderlic score and has a reputation as a one-read quarterback who doesn’t play comfortably from the pocket. NFL Films’ Greg Cosell has likened Watson to Alex Smith. A polarizing prospect, Watson should get to prove his worth early as the likely Week 1 starter in Houston (sorry Tom Savage).​

PFF:
    School: Clemson
    Position fit: Starting quarterback
    Stats to know: Tied for most interceptions thrown from clean pockets, with 14.

What he does best:
    Smooth, efficient delivery.
    Throws a very catchable ball.
    Displays a complete inventory of passes with zip, firm with touch. Changes the pace of the ball well when needed.
    Extremely athletic with the ability to escape when things break down. Good initial burst.
    True timing/rhythm passer, heavily reliant on pre-snap reads.
    Throws cover-3 and cover-2 seams very well.
    Best “glance” route thrower in the class.
    Anticipates well on timing routes outside the numbers.
    Flashes good go-ball touch. Good feel for back-shoulder throws to big-bodied receivers.
    Delivers in big moments. Confident player.

Biggest concerns:
    Limited instincts/feel in the pocket.
    Does not react smoothly when initial read is not there.
    Lacks consistent pocket poise, drops eyes down for a running lane instead of creating within the pocket.
    Played in an offense where the field was cut in half with simple reads.
    Field looks small to him; limited vision to get through progressions.
    Relatively slow post-snap processing speed.
    More interested in taking a yes/no go-ball on the outside than reading out the concept of the play.
    Overall not as accurate as he should be considering his style of play. Inaccurate on many easy throws in the short passing game.
    Played with elite playmakers around him, will have to learn how to function without big-play receivers on the outside.

Bottom line:
    Watson is as tough of a prospect to evaluate as there is coming out of college. While he shows flashes with his arm, he is wildly inconsistent and lacks the key traits (pocket instincts/poise and field vision). He will need to play in an offense specifically built around him with a quarterback run game and pass-game scheme creativity. There will be games when the coverage structures will be simple and the route concepts will match up with the route combinations, and he will have success. Then there will be games where the defensive movement will give him problems or the pass rush will force him to move within the pocket and get through progressions, and he will struggle mightily. Watson is not a pure progression passer, with his limited pocket feel and vision, and whenever that’s the case, there will be a huge risk involved when hoping to land a franchise quarterback. The former Clemson quarterback’s work ethic and intangibles will make him an attractive option, but there will be some risk involved.​

CBS:
    That's a lot to give up to go get him, but they had to do something. Grade: C-​

FOX:
    The Texans couldn’t afford another hopeless season at quarterback after wasting a year on the failed Brock Osweiler experiment. Tom Savage isn’t good enough to take a team with a Super Bowl-caliber defense where Houston wants to go, but Watson might have the potential to do that eventually. A lot of folks thought Watson might go at No. 12 – but to Cleveland instead of the Texans, which traded up 13 spots to get him​

NFL.com:
    Pick Analysis: "I root for this kid. He's best when the lights are brightest. That's the biggest compliment you can give a quarterback. Watch both Alabama tapes and tell me this kid can't play friggin' ball." -- Mike Mayock​

ESPN:
    What He Brings
    Watson's ability to transition to a pro-style offense will ultimately dictate whether or not he succeeds in the NFL. A proven winner, there's no denying he has the physical tools and rare intangibles to develop into a franchise quarterback. -- Steve Muench

How He Fits
    After Cleveland took the Brock Osweiler contract off their hands, the Texans continue to get help from the Browns by trading up with them in hopes of finding their franchise QB. This is a good fit for Watson who will get tutored by Bill O'Brien and will have a stingy defense to lean on if forced play early. -- Kevin Weidl​

red5rocket likes this.
  6. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

He has also played in big games and excelled. Couldn't agree more on OL.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  7. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

You sound like someone who likes to sniff glue mixed with baking soda that sold in the dollar stores.

Hey, either you will get high, or worse thing you die, you can still save a tons of money.

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. IBTL

IBTL Member

Source?
    I like the pick but dont think for a second this isnt mcnairs show.

Thats what obrien hates about here and will bounce immediately when can

Cant fault rick he is the do boy for emperor mcnair.

The trade was there and mcnair got his man.

Obrien is just another chef at the restaurant and he knows it.

Why do you think mcnair loves smith? because he does whatever mcnair says and takes tbe fall. Mcnair knows that and is extending dude repeatedly.

Think about smiff for a second..of course he will do whatever mcnair says. He cant get any higher of a title or power. I would ride that paycheck till kingdom come.

This is mcnairs team and this is mcnair showing that. Good for mcnair in getting osweiler then watson.

I cant stand mcnair but finally with those two moves we can see it workout or not but he is a meddler at jerruly jones levels. I appreciate creating interest and salesmanship. I am more intrigued than yesterday.

I appreciate mcnair going for it to an extent with osweiler, ed reed, now watson. We shall see. I give some props for finally trying

10. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Sage sounds like a sore loser.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

Caddman and Snow Villiers like this.
  12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I think it was Albert Breer that said this:

Bill Obrien liked Pat Mahomes' skills, but he LOVED Deshaun Watson's intangibles.

He said that's what someone from the Texans told him last night.

sugrlndkid likes this.
  14. Mr. Motiejunas

I like the pick. Wanted Mahomes or Watson. Just happy no more white scrubs.

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

How? He knows where good Fajitas are, is passing on his knowledge of them to the kid and he probably took a Rosencopter there to eat them. Driving is for peasants.

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can't see it in a set photo, but he's actually texting with someone right there. If this was a video you'd see his thumbs moving, then he looks up for a couple of seconds at the board then he goes back to typing away with his thumbs. He's not celebrating like Rick Smith was, with a dude in the row in front of him, but he's not sulking in the way this photo makes it look. He's working.

17. mightybosstone

Mmm... Not a great analogy. This is game in which we root for players on TV to catch a ball, not some life threatening risk a junky would make. And what was the alternative for the Texans? Stay pat and take a guy later in the draft with even less of a chance to pan out, placing even more trust in a player in Savage who could barely stay all in the field last season in the very limited opportunities he was given?

Sorry man, but I don't see this as some monumental risk. Osweiler was the bigger risk, IMO, and we all survived that as fans. So I can assure you we'll survive this.

18. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

[​IMG]

Nook and J.R. like this.
  19. liveguy

liveguy Member

PLUS i like the fact that dude will always have that chip on his shoulder...

Tru and Pat taken ahead of him???

The National champ????

FOH....y'all gon' see!!!

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

My man Rosenfels!!!!!