1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FIRE RICK SMITH!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ipaman, Oct 26, 2015.

1. conquistador#11

it's like I'm on crazy pills. he's not a gm. he should not be on the list. Kubiak's system and rockstar wade drafted our best players. Watt, Hopkins, merciless, brown with gems like foster, bouye, brandon brooks, newton(r.i.p), and now griffin. Play action and zone were a thing of beauty.

Meanwhile, The Brady system has drafted C.J and minihands on offense. Romeo has gotten his players then some, KJ..Mckinney(should have been a pro bowler) and Clowney who has turned out to be one of the elite defensive players. Romeo's defensive schemes don't happen without clowney. Reader is going to be good.

It seems the Mcnair family only meddles when they're frustrated or embarrassed so I actually like it that Rick is basically the consigliere.

unless B.O.B's chosen qb takes us to a superbowl, Rick smith will continue to speak and carry out the orders of the Mcnair Family for the next 60 years.

With sub par quarterback play, houston had tom brady throwing tantrums like the little spoiled brat he's turned to post 2005 in the playoff game. I hope this regime finally makes up their mind on who they want to run that chinese backwards avocado ice cream ugg wearing offense because this team can play with the best due to their defense. Take that for data.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Should have just done the last 9.

texans1095 likes this.
  4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

What is his record with 2nd and 3rd rounders? Thats where you have to maximize the real value.

the shark, mikol13 and texans1095 like this.
  5. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Exactly. It's tough to knock him on 1st round picks since most of them have been at the least solid contributors to this team. However, the big knock is that beyond the 1st round he has rarely had much success.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I disagree with his point system. Nothing about the draft is easy - but first round picks are, relatively, the easiest picks and shouldn't garner the most points. I'm OK with R1 "fire hits" getting more points because there IS a difference between drafting JJ Watt and, say, Chris Long. And Smith's nine-year track record of hitting in the first round IS impressive. But it's still the "easiest" round to find success.

The Texans have gotten better with rounds 2-3 - but it's oddly been a problem that pre-dates Smith. Remember, in an expansion year, one of Casserly's 3rd round picks didn't make the team. My guess... just a guess - nailing 2nd and 3rd round picks is the hardest thing to do in the draft, generally - and I'd wager most teams struggle with.

And whatever deficiencies the Texans have shown in rounds 2 and 3, I think they've more than made up for it with rounds 4-7 + UFA, where they've done quite well.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Thats the craziest thing to me. I agree nothing is easy about the draft but how do you miss on rounds 2-3, but do particularly well in rounds 5-6-ufa? Usually the 5th and beyond guys are nothing more than depth and special teams. We need more front end starting talent and thats why ricky hasnt done well in my eyes. Hell, If he nails just 1-3, he would have job security for the rest of his life. Oh wait, he already has that?

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I think rounds 2-3, especially, are difficult because you're trying to find the happy medium between BPA and BPA *who fits a need.* After that, I think teams tend to take more of a true BPA approach. Also, physically unspectacular but productive/winning players in college tend to slip and they can often be "easier" finds later in the draft. If I'm not mistaken, a fair amount of Houston's rounds 4+ picks recently have been SECers/from big-time programs.

Again, they've done better lately. McKinney was a good pick; I think Nick Martin *will* be a good pick. And XSF and CJF are both solid starters with some upside. They also selected Brandon Brooks, who has been a very good starter - with better cap management (and foresight), he'd be here now. When you consider those guys were paired with Mercilus (Brooks), Clowney (XSF and CJF), Johnson (McKinney) and Fuller (Martin) - those are decent hauls for the first three rounds of a typical draft.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

9-7

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I won't operate under the assumption that Rick is making the decisions. It was Kubiak-Wade drafts followed by O'Brien-Crennel drafts.

12. liveguy

liveguy Member

This is clearly why dude hasn't been fired...

He simply gets the requested players of whoever the coach at the time asks him to get...that's it.

#492 liveguy, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Mr. Clutch likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Silly media, Ricky is never under pressure! ;)

Which NFL general managers are under the most pressure as draft nears?

Houston Texans executive vice president/GM Rick Smith signed an extension last summer that runs through 2020. But how can there not be pressure when you still haven’t stabilized the quarterback position and just gave up a second-round pick to get rid of Brock Osweiler and his salary?​

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  14. texian

texian Member

Wait...

Rick just hired Ryan Grigson's right hand man as the assistant GM??? [​IMG]

J.R. likes this.
  15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Rick Smith may turn out to be our best GM.

16. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

He's supposedly highly thought of for whatever that's worth. He was with the Chargers for much longer than he was with the Colts. And he has been a finalist for a few GM jobs lately.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/05/nfl...2017-bill-belichick-john-schneider-john-elway

32. Buffalo Bills: Brandon Beane
    31. Colts: Chris Ballard
    30. 49ers: John Lynch
    29. Jets: Mike Maccagnan
    28. Jaguars: Dave Caldwell
    27. Buccaneers: Jason Licht
    26. Rams: Les Snead
    25. Dolphins: Chris Grier/Mike Tannenbaum
    24. Saints: Mickey Loomis
    23. Redskins: Bruce Allen
    22. Bears: Ryan Pace
    21. Eagles: Howie Roseman
    20. Chargers: Tom Telesco
    19. Lions: Bob Quinn
    18. Texans: Rick Smith

Yes, the Brock Osweiler deal was a disaster. That the Texans still managed to make the playoffs despite fielding one of the league’s worst starting quarterbacks says a lot about the job Smith has done putting together the rest of the team. He’s a good general manager who just can’t seem to figure out the quarterback position. Maybe Deshaun Watson is the answer, but I’m not so sure.

17. Titans: Jon Robinson
    16. Giants: Jerry Reese
    15. Browns: Paul DePodesta/Sashi Brown
    14. Vikings: Rick Spielman
    13. Ravens: Ozzie Newsome
    12. Bengals: Marvin Lewis/Mike Brown/Katie Blackburn/Duke Tobin
    11. Chiefs: John Dorsey
    10. Panthers: Dave Gettleman
    9. Falcons: Thomas Dimitroff
    8. Steelers: Kevin Colbert
    7. Raiders: Reggie McKenzie
    6. Cardinals: Steve Keim