1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pat Mahomes, the savior.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Snow Villiers, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

One Team Hears 49ers Will Select Patrick Mahomes at No. 2
    Updated April 24, 2017
    By Walter Cherepinsky. Follow Walter on Twitter @walterfootball.

The 49ers are a complete mystery right now. No one seems to know what they'll do, as there is no consensus selection among NFL Draft analysts and speculators. With a new front office, there's not even a baseline of what the team could be looking for.

Charlie Campbell and I put out feelers to our various team sources. Charlie reported a few days ago that a team believed the 49ers to be "desperate" to trade down. The consensus otherwise was the 49ers selecting Mitchell Trubisky No. 2 overall.

A high-ranking NFC personnel man responded to my query Monday morning, and the name he gave me for San Francisco's pick was a surprising one:

Patrick Mahomes.

This team source said that he heard over the weekend that the 49ers would take Mahomes at No. 2 overall. Some believe Mahomes to be the best quarterback prospect in this class, so if San Francisco shares that opinion, Mahomes would be just as logical of a selection as Trubisky.

Quarterbacks - mainly Trubisky, but also Deshaun Watson and now Mahomes - have been rumored to San Francisco, and understandably so, given the team's dire need for a quarterback. Taking a signal-caller would block the potential of signing Kirk Cousins, but the 49ers would have a concrete quarterback to build around for certain.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Just keeps getting better.

3. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

I don't see it with this kid. Talented yes, but to many other things to work on(footwork, Taking snaps from under center, etc..) to be a NFL QB.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Lol, the 49ers are so desperate to trade out of number 2, they're gonna start 500 rumors in the next two days, apparently.

5. texans1095

texans1095 Member

My first thought as well. The only QB I could see them selecting at #2 is Trubisky. Other than that I think these rumors of them wanting Mahomes at #2 are a way of trying to get a team like the Jets or maybe even the Browns to trade up to #2. Then again, it's the NFL Draft and crazier things have happened.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Walter football reported 5 days or so ago that it was Mitch lol. They really want to trade down

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

And we really want to trade up. They should find a way to make it happen.

8. texans1095

texans1095 Member

What makes you think we really want to trade up in the draft?

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Mostly rumors and the fact that the Texans are usually trying to make different kinds of moves before and during the draft.

10. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Gotchya. I could definitely see us trading up to the late teens if Mahomes is somehow still there. Other than that I think they might stay where they are and take the best player available (someone like Bolles or Conley if he falls to us).

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Just to be clear. I personally would not pick Mahomes that high (#1, #2). I was mostly focusing on that 12th pick and keeping #25 as well. But trading Watt (and possibly Hopkins) could possibly net us 1 and 12. #1 I would pick Allen, #12 Mahomes and #25 Robinson/Lamp/Bolles (either one). Thats only the 1st round!!!!

12. texans1095

texans1095 Member

You would pass on Garrett at #1 for Allen?

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I like how you keep pushing the trade the current stars agenda for top picks. I mean it will never happen, and probably should never happen (though there's 25% of me that says you know... why not.... JJ was out last year and the defense was solid if not amazing, and Hopkins was disappointing... and the fact is the team doesn't have a QB) .... but its a fun fantasy land to think about ... and if they actually did something like this it would be very entertaining to see the aftermath.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Only because his position is filled on the Texans.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. texans1095

texans1095 Member

But Garrett and Allen both play DE.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I don't mean to push. Just throwing stuff out there to see what happens. It's going to be a long day and a half so it's fun to dream up scenarios.
    Speaking of dreaming, nailing down the 1st round like that would open up the rest of the draft for us even more.

19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Well, we could trade Clowney for a 6th round pick, then we could draft Garrett #1 overall to fill our now open need and still have a draft pick.....
    [​IMG]

texans1095 likes this.
  20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Isn't Allen more of a DT?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.