1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Movie] Star Wars Episode VIII

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deuce, Jan 20, 2016.

1. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Exactly and there's nothing wrong with that as long as the journey is enjoyable and seems fresh. I love the TFA and I've seen it abou 3-4 times now. Yes it has copied elements form ANH but there is enough differences to make it stand on its own. The way I see it, TFA was exactly what the fans and newcomers to the franchise needed to be excited about Star Wars again. Now the question is can they take the franchise in new and interesting directions, even if the themes might be a bit similar.

I fully expect this middle movie to be darker and for the First Order to even the scoreboard a bit, just like in Empire. And yes we get Rey training. But the key here is the dialogue; Luke saying the Jedi have to end and the idea that there is something bigger out there. The whole trailer seems to be suggesting there is much more to the Force than just light and dark and that maybe because of what happened to Anakin/Vader and what happened when he tried to train Ben/Kylo, that he's become disillusioned with the path of the Jedi, who were always so dogmatic in their ways, and to a fault. That really has never been explored I feel, at least in the movies. In any case, Disney hasn't let me down yet with Star Wars (movies and Rebels) and I trust Rian Johnson to give us something bad ass.

mikol13, BigM and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Dark is right. When the teaser already tells you that the good guys are down to using crop dusters, you know it's going to be a good film for the bad guys.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Awful trailer. It appears that they don't have any good footage to use. Structurally it was the exact same as the previous film's trailer.

Jontro likes this.
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Finn is still in carbonite. . . er. . . a coma

Rocket River

6. B-Bob

Another thing you can take from this trailer: Hamill never did really get in shape, so (1) oversize jedi robe, (2) shots from great distance, and (3) hiding mofo in a cave.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's 65 years old!.... what kind of "shape" would you reasonably expect him to be able to get into?

That being said, he did drop weight from his most recent other movie appearances.... where he was a shell of his skywalker recognizable self. At least now, its believable that he's an older Luke.

don grahamleone likes this.
  8. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I like to believe the story is somewhat repeating itself for a purpose... almost like a legend that is etched in this universe's history that is supernaturally fated to repeat itself... shades of Neo in The Matrix, repeating the journey of previous iterations of "The One."

Admittedly, I'm somewhat grasping for a defense of TFA, which I have enjoyed through multiple viewings despite its obvious theft. It's never been good as its first two theater viewings (unlike Rogue One), but I watched it once more after the sort of "loathing the sameness" viewing experience I had, and I was totally back on board.

This could all just be the flailing defense of the series just because I love the world they've created so much... and probably is. Whatever, I stand by it.

Uprising and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  9. B-Bob

Bro, I am just kidding around.
    I like that Luke is going in for fasting and plastic surgery. Trying to get his yoda on instead.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Get out of there, KC! For the love of god, get out! You'll be digested (yuck!).

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Music sounds AWESOME.

12. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Since I have watched every episode, I guess I will watch this one as well.

13. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

14. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

Is there a Cheetah sized offering?

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

lmao

no way...wow...

16. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

That's a cut and pasted TFA trailer to make it seem similar.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

They did seem like similar trailers, especially the X-wings zipping across a surface kicking up water / dust. But it was manipulated a bit.

Disney, you got away with it once, due to our nostalgia. Don't pull this again.

18. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

It says in the header for the video that it took 'clips' . It was just showing how similar the trailer shots were.

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

That wasn't the TFA trailer. They just found clips in the TFA to make it look similar. Wouldn't be surprised if TLJ is a copy ESB. Luke = Yoda. Rey = Luke. Finn = Han. Adam Driver=Vader. Snoke=Emperor.

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yes, the trailer shots were eerily similar in some respects. Rey / Finn, breathless and at odds. The crop-dusting / water-spraying X-wings. Other little tidbits. Maybe the same individuals were contracted to put together the trailers.

I'm sure it'll be very good. God knows I already have my money ready to spend on opening night, as I did in 2015.