1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 16, 2017.

1. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Texans vs Jags first game.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's always good to start with a win against a warm up type team.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. Fantasma Negro

This is a brutal ****ing schedule. Some one on here said 11-5, must've been celebrating the holiday last night, there is no sugar coating it, if this team makes the playoffs with schedule regardless of who is throwing the ball then B'OB is worth his salt and needs an extension. There is absolutely no let up from week to week and there are no gimme games, not even the Browns. 9-7 would be a great accomplishment

5. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

It looks a little tough on paper but if they can go 4-2 in the division, beat the Rams, Bengals, Browns and 49ers, and find a way to get another win or 2 from the remaining schedule (they beat the Chiefs last year and the Ravens aren't anything special) 10-6 is in play.

texans1095 likes this.
  6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

This is exactly how I looked at it. We dont always lose to the above average to elite teams, we usually pull 1 or 2 out. I think we win 10 games if Savage can be average or at least the same as that tall Montana guy (not asking much).

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Even on paper there's only 4 really tough games (Seahawks, Pats, Steelers, Chiefs) and for 2 of them the Texans have extra time before the game for planning and rest.

8. conquistador#11

10-6, losing the last game to the colts because they rested all their players. Patriots are the only automatic loss. The defense will continue to make opposing qbs play like our qb.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Wondering what teams you consider "gimme games" if you don't think the Rams, Browns, and 49ers are.

adw and Bobbythegreat like this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. CallMeTheDream

Thank God, no Mahomes

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ricky never feels any pressure. #Foreverjob

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Do you mind posting the whole Rick Smith conference like you did with Savage and BOB this week? Thanks!

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rick Smith on Texans potentially adding free agents: "I don't think that there's a need for that. I don't feel that at all."

Rick Smith on Texans 2017 schedule: "I like playing at home, opening up at home. Really, that's the only one I think about."

Rick Smith on Tom Savage: "He's proven he understands this offense. He's proven he can play at a high level."

Rick Smith explains what he's looking for in a quarterback during his news conference with media prior to the Draft (Leadership, Work ethic, Ability to rally people, Ability to command a room, Ability to handle adversity, Arm strength, Athletic ability, Certain size variables, Playing history,
    Style of offense he came from)

Smith on QB: "It's difficult to play QB as a rookie in this league. It's rare that you get a guy to play at high level early, but it's possible."

Smith on O linemen "There's more projections cause of the style of football (in college). You're still looking for the skillset."

Smith on not signing an UFA "First thing you do is sign your guys. We were in the game on a couple of guys. We were very aggressive (2016)."

Smith "We try to not do anything in our process that's reflective of need. Then you misrepresent a player's value."

Smith "We evaluate strictly on talent. You open yourself to being inaccurate if you evaluate on need."

Smith on safeties "We've got guys on the roster. That position is one of the strongest safety classes I can remember."

Smith "We have an outstanding group of scouts and folks who help us prepare for draft. I applaud the effort of those who work in the process."

Smith "Our coaches do a nice job (in scouting process). We try to get specific as to what we think (coaches) vision is for our team."

Smith on O line in the draft: "I'd characterize offensive line as a little light."

Smith on OBrien "We're attempting to be a consistent winner and win a championship. We're working hard to do that."

Smith "I think we'll be good. We're always looking at what's available on the street (trade) and (the draft). We always look to improve."

Rick Smith says it's "difficult to play quarterback in year one in this league."

Asked about improving Texans' offense, Rick Smith mentions offensive-focused 2016 draft having another year with team and Tom Savage as QB.

Rick Smith said he is comfortable with Tom Savage as Texans' starting QB.

Rick Smith says he doesn't feel pressure to draft a first-round QB this year.

Rick Smith said #Texans will add a QB before training camp.

Rick Smith says Texans don't feel a need to add outside current NFL players before camp.

Rick Smith hasn't spoken with Vince Wilfork since end of season. Doesn't expect him to play for Texans in 2017.

Rick Smith said he's confident Texans will be better next season and have a championship-level team.

Rick Smith on Brock Osweiler trade: 'Sashi [Brown] and I are obviously friends and had theoretical conversations. You can explore ideas'

Rick Smith on trying to upgrade offense, notes that team added a lot of "offensive firepower last year, needs time to gel."

Rick Smith on comfort level as Tom Savage as starter: 'I am comfortable with that.'

Rick Smith on drafting a quarterback: 'I don't feel pressure. At some point, we're going to add a quarterback.'

Rick Smith on not signing a free agent yet, only team that hasn't 'It cycles. We were in on some guys that didn't make it to public domain.'

Rick Smith on obtaining comp picks, not signing free agents: 'That's a function of the system. We're aware of it obviously, not by design'

Rick Smith on Vince Wilfork: 'I have not talked to Vince since last season. Expectation is Vince is not playing.'

Rick Smith: 'I think it's a good quarterback class.'

Rick Smith on Bill O'Brien: 'Bill and I, what we've done together, it's a part of that success.'

Rick Smith said "it's not enough,' on team performance, since Texans haven't won a championship

Rick Smith: 'Last year doesn't matter in this business. Each year is an entity to itself. I see a group of committed players.'

Rick Smith on team: 'I think we'll be good. We're constantly trying to re-tool. I think we've got a good football team, yes.'

Rick Smith on not missing in first round: 'Want to be very diligent in first round, want to mitigate risk'

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

• "Rick Smith on Texans potentially adding free agents: "I don't think that there's a need for that. I don't feel that at all."
    Glad we traded that second round pick for cap space!

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Rick Smith explains what he's looking for in a quarterback during his news conference with media prior to the Draft (Leadership, Work ethic, Ability to rally people, Ability to command a room, Ability to handle adversity, Arm strength, Athletic ability, Certain size variables, Playing history,
    Style of offense he came from)

No wonder he signed osweiler.

Most of that stuff is useless

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

"I've never seen Cap Room score a touchdown yet though. I've seen old Cap, and his last name is Room, I've yet to see him score a touchdown, haven't seen him record a sack, haven't seen him run between the tackles yet. But when Cap Room starts putting up numbers, we should be in great shape."

[​IMG]

"I've never seen Cap Room score a basket yet though," McHale said recently. "I've seen old Cap, and his last name is Room, I've yet to see him put a hoop in, haven't seen him block a shot, haven't seen him get a rebound yet. But when Cap Room starts putting up numbers, we should be in great shape."

Mr. Clutch and Bob Barker 007 like this.