1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New State Law Regulating Ride Sharing Moving Through Legislature clearing Lyft+Uber Return to Cities

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Brando2101, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

A law has passed 2nd reading in the Texas House that would wipe out all regulations passed in Texas cities. It would move regulation over to the state and change the background check policies to be in line with most other US states. That would clear Lyft to return to Houston and Lyft/Uber to return to Austin.

The house has to pass it on a 3rd reading and then it needs to go to the Senate. The Senate is working on their own bill that has majority support so there does not seem to be any chance an agreement isn't worked out. The primary differences between the two approaches is that the House moves regulation to the state and the senate bills keep regulation in the city but change the rules. It makes more sense to move it to the state if you are passing state laws. I'm wondering if Lyft/Uber will still pay a percentage of revenue to the cities they operate in or if it'll go to the state instead.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/tra...ate-ride-hailing-bill/5vi1We6kKidi2TqGKkbNvJ/

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Big gubbermint always tellin us whut to do.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  3. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I am guessing this means Galveston will get Uber back? Hopefully this passes! I don't want to drink and drive when I am there so we take it easy or pay $15 for a cab to take us 1 mile.

4. Fantasma Negro

Just trying to keep up here, so ppl are against background checks?

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think uniformity across the state is a good thing. However, I didn't see any mention of my main concern, which is the inequity with cab services. I assume they've done nothing to address the inequity, so I don't think I can be in favor.

6. Brando2101

It's fingerprint checks.

7. Fantasma Negro

What's wrong with that? Teachers, cops and bank managers gotta do it, why not the stranger driving you around that in some cases knows your home address.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Question: Would this literally destroy cab companies? Does this favor Uber over Taxis?

It seems like this is basically. . . .taking the job of protecting the public and verifying identity and standards. . . .
    out of state hands and into corporate hands
    With the idea that Corporate hands will do a better job and won't screw over the public
    whic . .. make me uncomfortable because for the $$$ . . they will definitely screw us

Rocket River

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Do they not have finger prints?

10. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

when ridesharing companies switch over to driver-less cars this will all be a moot point. for now though, its pretty obvious that many of our politicans are bought and paid for by rideshare lobbyists. and for many i think they are in favor simply b/c liberal austin is against.

republicans sure love local control, right?

11. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

They better not have fingerprints if they want to get away with murdering 15-year-old girl passengers, as I'm told all Uber drivers aspire to do.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yes, I think it'll literally destroy cab companies. I don't think this is really about public safety at all. Cabs are basically safe, and Ubers are basically safe. But, we made cabs safe with some antiquated heavy-handed regulation and we made Ubers safe with market forces, transparency, and digitization. The cab approach was an exchange -- we get to regulate you, but in exchange we'll erect barriers around your jobs and prop up your prices so you can get a decent return. Uber knocks those barriers down. So, politicians who give Uber a hard time on background checks aren't doing it for safety, they do it to honor the deal with cabbies by trying to lock Uber out. It's like a union fight. Uber is the union buster. In the long run, I think it should happen. Cabs need to modernize. But, I think this transition is seedy. When the market landscape changes and puts a corporation out of business -- like the way the internet is bankrupting department stores -- that's just the way the cookie crumbles. It's sad though when it puts little proprietorships out of business, especially ones that invested on the assurance of government that they'd be protected.

13. Major

Major Member

The idea that Uber and Lyft can't operate in a regulated environment is silly. Rideshare Austin, Fasten, and all the other random replacements that work just fine for most people in Austin suggest otherwise.

Agree with those that say this has nothing to do with safety or what's best for anyone - Uber/Lyft just successfully lobbied for their view of the world. As long as cabs and rideshares are on a fairly level playing field, I don't see why cities shouldn't have freedom to set up their own low or high regulation environments based on what their people want.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

As a consumer, it doesn't matter to me personally. I'm going to use Uber regardless. And if I were to get into a cab I'm not going to feel any safer than I would in the Uber. Ultimately I don't care, just drive me somewhere as hassle-free as possible. If you're worried about it then don't use it.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Yeah...me, too. There's a definitive value to me, especially being in The Woodlands, to having Uber. Much much cheaper to take to go into the city for events where I plan to drink. It would be nice for them to have competition in Lyft. I used Uber often when I lived in Austin and it sucked when they got rid of it. I understand the call for the background checks but no one is forcing you to use these services if you don't feel comfortable with it.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

thread title not long enough

17. Brando2101

There hasn't been much news on this since the 1st reading but it's still expected to make its way through the ledge according to Brie Franco, Austin's intergovernmental relations officer.

It would go into effect as soon as the governor signs it if it had 2/3 support of the ledg or on Sept 1st if it's just a basic majority. I'm willing to bet Uber and Lyft still start operations in Austin and Galveston before that September 1st mark. Sept 1st would still be before ACL.

The senate would need all republicans and at least 1 democrat to vote for the bill and the house would need all republicans and 5 democrats to vote for it to get to that 2/3 mark. There was already more than enough house members that voted for the bill on 1st reading so that should cover it unless the final plan that is agreed upon in reconciliation by the House and Senate is something those democrats don't like and don't vote for it on the final bill. The biggest difference between the House and Senate might be if the companies should be regulated by the cities or states. House voted for cities and senate hasn't voted for anything yet.

The biggest threat to its passing is the gov and lieutenant gov holding it hostage to pass their bathroom bill. Texas had a change to elect a democrat as governor but they stupidly nominated Wendy Davis instead of former Houston Mayor Bill White. She did historically bad especially considering she wasn't running against an incumbent. It also doesn't help that Texas governor elections occur during the national midterms and democrats typically stay home. Maybe 2 years will be different. Democrats could have a chance if the bathroom bill passes and the state starts to lose businesses and events which is what happened to the north Carolina governor.

#17 Brando2101, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
  18. Brando2101

NEW RIDSHARING LAW PASSES LEDGE.

Lyft/Uber will return to Austin and Galveston on along with Lyft to Houston. The Governor should pass the bill in the next week and the new law will immodestly go into effect.