1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Officials appear to miss Russell Westbrook backcourt violation (Ruled incorrect call)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 19, 2017.

1. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

You could see Westbrook avoid the ball momentarily and raise his hands kind of helplessly and look around before he gave up and grabbed the ball. He knew was a violation. Incredible that the Rockets and staff weren't screaming for a review. A review would have been allowed, wouldn't it? I think that's changeable.

2. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Agreed on the second portion, but the groupthink phenomena (although maybe applicable here) is not a forgivable justification. Rules are meant to be followed, and refs are meant to enforce them. If neither hold true, then this might as well be a pickup game. This is the playoffs though where customers/fans expect equal treatment. We got what we got at home...I wonder what it'll be like at Chesapeake.

3. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

After looking at the last two-minute report, they got two incorrect calls both of which puts us at a disadvantage.

I'm just glad we won that game even with the incorrect calls.

4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Your momentum is one action, tipping then retrieving it is 2 actions, the nba has a lot of rules that are like that (continuation, incidental contact, etc)

#124 Aleron, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I detest both of those sayings. . .esp the "Shouldn't have come down to that call" excuse

Rocket River

DonKnock likes this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Why would it be ok for momentum to take you over the line . .. . ONLY IN THE LAST TWO MINUTES???
    What kind of BS is that?
    Sure hurts a defense At crucial times of the game.

Rocket River

DonKnock likes this.
  7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

It's because the ball can be moved forward in the last 2 minutes without your team actually crossing the half court line.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I get that you can throw it into the back court
    but
    to be able to catch it in the front court and then 'your momentum' carries you into the backcourt
    seems kind of very subjective and flakey

Rocket River

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It's unbelievably disconcerting that professional referees can miss such an easy, no-brain call in the final minutes of an intense playoff game. It's downright pathetic actually.

DonKnock, Richie_Rich and Tha_Dude like this.
  10. CapelaOnlyFan

CapelaOnlyFan Member

I'm sure it'll be 5 vs 8 in OKC just stay mentally tough and laser sharp focused and we shall overcome

11. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

it doesn't matter if it counts as a possession. if you touch the ball last in the front court and then go over and the first one to touch the ball again in the back court, that's a violation
    the rockets players and coach were all jumping around to signify back court but they can't stop it and reverse it. It's applies to only plays that are usually dead after the fact like who's it out on, was the player out the restricted area, etc

12. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Sorry Clutch but if you want to call out the refs that game for bad calls towards the Rockets that youtube video will need be way longer than that. I wonder if paid off refs still exists?

#132 Swapshop, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Mr Chuck Norris likes this.
  13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You can catch the ball and jump into the backcourt and that's fine, but if you tip the ball into the backcourt, that's bad. What's confusing about that? Oh, and only in the last 2 minutes. The rest of the game is totally different. Easy-peasy.

bulkatron likes this.
  14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right, it's just a mess though, I mean I understand some calls getting missed, but this one needs to be more consistent like you said.. Heck even WB looked like he thought it was a backcourt violation... Haha. But regardless Rockets won, just still thinking about 97/05 when plays missed at key moments can suck.

Ramo$e likes this.
  15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Exactly, I think you're right on their thought process, and definitely agree that this one needs to be revamped to be more consistent.

And I remember that damn Finley play too well... I'm glad this didn't turn into something like that.

16. Mr Chuck Norris

Why wouldn't they?

17. TheresTheDagger

I would really like to hear an explanation on wtf the officials were thinking with that non call. Anybody watching who has even a passing knowledge of the game understands what a backcourt violation is...ESPECIALLY when it is as obvious as that one was. The entire arena and national television audience including the announcers saw it and called it.

Either they are:
    1. Incompetent
    or
    2. Paid off

bro2044, Ramo$e and DonKnock like this.
  18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

i would add

3. Incompetent and Paid off

If you are paid off, you wouldn't want to make it so obvious

bro2044 and DonKnock like this.
  19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Not just professionional refs, but supposedly the best of the best who get picked for the playoffs.

bulkatron likes this.
  20. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Why do people insist this is a no-brainer call? The rule is incredibly confusing. I mean, look at the link Clutch posted and the explanation. Either make all of those calls backcourt or clarify the rule. I vote for the former.