1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Westbrook: "I don't give a f*** about (my stat) line."

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Apr 19, 2017.

1. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

The minute I saw that headline of "not giving a f**** about his stat line" I couldnt wait to point out he conveniently scored enough to push over 50 points to complete the stat line.

I was impressed he signed the extension to remain (even if its with a cheap ass team like OKC that doesnt deserve loyalty from any of its players) but dude has used the media and giving them the anti-media hero stance all the while doing the opposite of what hes been saying. I honestly believe his teammates are better than what they seem. Morey should buy low on some of their players.

2. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Definitely, the fact that Steven Adams & Kanter were supposed turn into some pretty solid players yet they've regressed immensely... That is 90% WB's fault.

Sabonis, McDermott, Grant are all players that should be coming into their own too... Mcdermott was just as hot a Lou last night, & they couldn't continue to find him, why? Because WB shot it 43 times.

I don't hate WB, in fact i admire his effort. That being said, he will never understand how to win, how to lead & that will drive players away from him. MVP or not.

3. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He shot them into losses against the Rockets earlier this season.

The January Toyota Center game - the Thunder came back from 15 down, mostly due to Kanter shredding us inside, Russ then went into takeover mode later in the 4th and went 1-7 down the stretch, result: Thunder loss.

Nook, BigMaloe, RiceRockets and 2 others like this.
  5. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Westbrook's teammates were playing for his triple doubles whole season. Now that the season is over, they are asked to play team game.

Hunting seasonal triple double made everybody around Westbrook worse.

SamFisher likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I believe he cared too much in the regular season but not as much in the postseason.

Any player would have both the win and the stats. But sometimes you just can have one.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm convinced his heroics in those three comebacks contributed majorly to this win. He had it in his mind he was going to win the game by himself like those other games.

And then when he gave up, he goes for the easy two, down 6, to secure the 50pts, when all other MVP candidates would shoot the three at that juncture.

And what is extra special, this could cause a cascading implosion by OKC if his teammates feel like there is no game plan in the 4th,,,Rockets need to pounce in the 1st Q of Game 3 for once. A big lead early could get ugly in the OKC huddle.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You are right about everything else other than the line 'he drives people away'. Ppl overrate the whole thing.

At the end of the day he is a Top 5 talent in the league, people want to look hard at that.

Of course some will prefer Harden over WB but most players are traded anyway, they got no say about where they want to go.

Kirby was one of the biggest ball hogs there ever was and some Euros still wanted to play for the Lakers. Maybe not exactly beside him but for the franchise as a whole.

9. Fantasma Negro

Can you imagine if we had Kanter coming off the bench at the four spot, oh baby. They're wasting those guys to please Westbrook and I couldn't be happier to see it

10. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

He was definitely chasing the triple double record during the season, but I genuinely believe he wasn't chasing stats last night, it's the playoffs. He did however prove how much he devalues his teammates. It was just painfully obvious how little trust he had in anyone else on the floor.

macho GRANDE and Surfguy like this.
  11. Asian Sensation

12. Rokman

Rokman Member

Anyone who says he doesn't have good players is full of **** and making excuses for why their record isn't that great. These players are obviously good enough to step out on the floor and have made it through the nearly possible trials of getting on an NBA team so they can obviously play. He's the problem. It's his ego that they are all bowing down to and the team is also trying to use him as their marketing tool to keep fans interested in small market OKC. The NBA is a business and it needs story lines to sell to keep advertising money pumping. They are full of crap and spin the story any way necessary to sell their product the best which is why the rest of us are scratching our heads and dumbfounded when they say the things they say.

Richie_Rich and Kam like this.
  13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Thing about all this, I hope this steers other (super)stars away from OKC (and toward Houston). Maybe I'm whistling Dixie.

I'm sure he'll win MVP (it isn't my vote, but you know how these things go) and the organization will use that as a recruiting tool this summer. But Westbrook is first and foremost about his own numbers. He does talk about winning being important and so on and so forth, but does he fully grasp that he needs to involve the team a little more? Hell, he was taking too many shots when he had KD as his sidekick.

You can see it even at the All Star games: time to get those numbers! I'm sure it's just his competitive nature, but still.....if you score more than 50 and get a triple double and lose a playoff game? Michael Jordan didn't win that way, either.

Harden has shooters on his team but Westbrook's supporting cast isn't exactly horrific.

Richie_Rich and DudeWah like this.
  14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I don't know what's going on with Westbrook and that team. Honestly, I don't want to know because it's not my problem to solve. A guy scores 50+ points in a game and your team still loses. All I can do is laugh. If Harden scores 50+ points in a game, then we win.

Harden seems to have more instinct for when to get players involved at the right times than Westbrook does. Westbrook says he trusts his teammates but his play says otherwise.

16. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

It's not so much he'll drives players away, he just won't drive them in like other stars like Lebron, Harden, Kawhi, Curry, Wall, Davis etc.

That's a detriment to him & OKC.

17. Fantasma Negro

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He drove KD away.

RiceRockets and Richie_Rich like this.
  19. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I think I am ready to say this now...Westbrook reminds me of a more talented Steve Francis...

DudeWah likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I wouldn't say that he was the sole reason Durant left.

OKC organization gave away Harden, Ibaka and KD to an extent.

#60 daywalker02, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017