1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Officials appear to miss Russell Westbrook backcourt violation (Ruled incorrect call)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 19, 2017.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

So it was definitely a backcourt violation correct?

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can see that as if I jump to catch the ball and the momentum takes me to the other side that shouldn't be a violation but tipping is a means of gaining an advantage in the case that there is a scramble for the ball.

Still, I just think they should make the rules simpler.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

One can make crazy arguments for either way.

Cause it's way too complex.

They should have never added the rule allowing for backcourt inbounds. Because if you're inbounding from the front court, you already have possession in the front court and going back would be classic over and back.

But they changed the rule... obstensibly to give offensive teams more advantage tonadd offense and keep end of game situations more exciting.

Once that was done they opened a rabbit hole where they had to consider these random ass scenarios.

They should just keep it simple.

EG - you can inbound to the backcourt but if in any way you touch it first in the front court and then go to backcourt it's a violation.

CDrex, Ramo$e and Kim like this.
  4. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

man nobody knows the rules, not here, not in the NBA, not the officials, not ronnie nun, not nobody.

5. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

6. AkeemTheDreem86

So last night was, in fact, a backcourt violation?

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What kind of rule is this? Do they consider what day of the week it is? I know they've done some other carve-outs for the last 2 minutes, and I think they should get rid of all of them. The game shouldn't change at crunch time. If a positive attainment rule works in crunch time, it should work all the time.

Ramo$e likes this.
  8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

all kind of rules changed in the last 2 mins... entertainment is the driving force

9. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I thought it was backcourt too at first, but I think they had the right call on the court. He didn't really establish control until he was in the backcourt.

10. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

It's a violation.

EXCEPTION: During the last two minutes of the fourth period and the last two minutes of any overtime period, the ball may be passed anywhere (frontcourt or backcourt) on the court. However, if the ball is thrown into the frontcourt and an offensive player on the court fails to control the ball and causes it to go into the backcourt, his team may not be the first to touch the ball.

That's from the 2017 rule book. Page 29 - Section III

That's what happened I think, totally different from having momentum in the front court and taking the player in the back. The tip he didn't have the momentum to have the ball back there, he touched it in the front court and then mishandled it and then first to touch in the back court.

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Wait, so it wasn't a catch? Pass interference? I'm so confused.

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I guess we will find out with an L2M report today?

13. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Agreed, let's see the official report. My take is that he has to have control of the ball and have forward momentum.

Ramo$e likes this.
  14. bro2044

bro2044 Member

Yeh, definitely a violation from the rules I see. WB wasnt in the act of catching and momentum carrying him across the line, it was literally a wide pass that he tipped in the frontcourt, then went into the backcourt to gather. Ha, that BS changed the last minute of the game. No 3, plus we get ball and retain momentum.

Ah wells, a W regardless. :)

TracywtFacy and Ramo$e like this.
  15. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

NBA just ruled it an incorrect non-call in the last 2 minutes report

16. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Ramo$e likes this.
  18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Ramo$e and BigM like this.
  19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

No doubt. Everyone in the building, on the court, and watching on tv thought it was a backcourt violation. We didn't know for sure until now but that doesn't excuse the fact that all 3 refs either thought it was a violation and still didn't blow the whistle or didn't know the rules to begin with. This is a playoff game.