1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pat Mahomes, the savior.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Snow Villiers, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well the good part is that I see a reason to like him too. His arm talent is top notch so if you can just teach him how to play football, he might be set to make a good impact.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

What??!!!! No he isn't! !!!!! Kizers not a champion!

3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I think you're SERIOUSLY underestimating Kizer. He needs some grooming but he has arm talent. The offensive talent at ND was very mediocre this year so he didn't fair as well, but the guy is talented.

4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

There is a little part of me that wants Kizer. That is because 2 years ago he was pretty good. 2 years ago when a guy named Nick martin handed him the ball and Will Fuller was catching his passes. Also I think he just needs some coaching to be really good in the future. That being said, I would take him in the 2nd, not the first.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Number of attempts within the pocket:

texans1095 likes this.
  6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The difficulty here is that the stats can be so apples to oranges. Different teams playing completely different teams in different conferences, and in completely different systems.

What am I to make of Mahomes higher completion % but higher "bad throw" % than Trubisky for example given all those differences?
    Why QB scouting is so hard.

When QBs come in for workouts, they should put them in as close to real simulated games as possible. But I doubt that happens because of the difficulty that would involve, having to use NFL players outside of their permitted work times, etc, etc.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

http://draftanalyst.com/da-draft-buzz-april-18-qb-not-lock-texans-round-1

General consensus has the Houston Texans taking a quarterback in the first round, yet this belief is not universal from all intimate with the situation. More on the Texans below as well as an update on Indiana guard Dan Feeney.

Once the Houston Texans lost out on the services of Tony Romo, who announced his retirement several weeks ago, everyone automatically assumed the team would select a quarterback in the first round. And the name bandied about has been Patrick Mahomes of Texas Tech.

Yet there’s a faction of people I’ve spoken with who are close to the organization and believe the Texans won’t draft a quarterback in the first round for a variety of reasons.

Foremost is the belief that head coach Bill O’Brien, as well as the Texans front office, must win in 2017. The front office can’t risk using the 25th selection of the draft on a developmental quarterback -- the team must select a player who will offer production quickly this season.

They point to Houston drafting a left tackle or cornerback in the first round rather than a signal caller. Both are positions of need, and the players selected could have an immediate impact.

There’s also a feeling that Tom Savage will be seamless in his transition to being an every-week starter. He understands the system, has the pedigree and -- most importantly -- has the trust of O’Brien.

Could the Mahomes-to-Houston story be a smoke screen? If Mahomes is available when the Texans are called to the clock, will they pass up his long-term potential for short-term gains? Many feel the answer is yes to both questions.

Plowman and Marteen like this.
  10. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

There is so much conflicting info out there. Some people are saying that the Texans have zero interest in Kizer period while Galko says he's a target in the 2nd if they don't get their QB in the 1st. And Tony Pauline is now saying the Texans wanting a QB in the 1st is a smokescreen. April 27th can't get here fast enough.

#550 Yaosthirdleg, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Thanks for this. Do you have the tony Pauline info at all?

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  12. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

#552 Yaosthirdleg, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    zeeshan2 likes this.
  13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If we don't draft a quarterback, I won't be upset, though I'll be a bit disappointed. I believe in Savage. I just don't believe in his ability to stay healthy.

I'll laugh at all the outrage amongst the fan base, though. It'll be funny because any QB we drafted isn't coming in to win games right away, and would potentially be just as much of a lottery pick as a second or third round QB.

texans1095 likes this.
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

He most likely doesn't go past the Cards at 13.

With his pedigree of coming from a former 10 year MLB vet (in his father) and that arm talent he'll find a way to stay motivated and play the game at an elite level.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets or Browns took a shot at him earlier than 13 but they are the Jets and the Browns. They probably like Mithcell Trubisky better.

16. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I always assumed the O'Brien loves Mahomes stuff was a smokescreen to to get KC to trade up and push one of the tackles down. The anti-Kizer stuff could also be a part of the ploy. Or all these "draft experts" and their so called sources could be feeding us a bunch of crap. But yeah this draft needs to come on...

#556 whag00, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  17. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I think the clear message to take away from these numbers is that Kizer is not worthy of a 1st round pick.

primtim24 likes this.
  18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

except he airmailed a few balls.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

That's him in a nutshell

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Or it could all be legit info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.