1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you like to see scrolling scores eliminated from TV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by theimpossibles1, Apr 17, 2017.

?

Would you like to see scrolling scores eliminated from TV?

1. Eliminate them - all they accomplish is spoiling digitally recorded games.

2. Keep them - I don't have a smartphone in my pocket/purse or I find them useful or entertaining.

3. Other...explain

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

If I'm missing an important event I want to watch, I have to work hard to avoid seeing the score via multiple sources. If/when I do get a chance to watch, it's the first thing I go do. I don't watch another event first...because I've already made the effort to wait it out.

The only case this solves for (that isn't easily avoidable) is when 2 games are on at the same time, and you want to watch 1 while recording the other. That feels like it should be relatively rare, where you care so much about both games on at the same time.

If I compare that to the interest in knowing what else is happening around sports the other 99% of the time, I feel like your situation loses.

If you're saying it occurs all the time because you want to always go back and watch recorded games in full (even fast-forwarded) at random times, I'd say you're in the extreme minority. Most people would have things spoiled for them in the meantime by ESPN, social media, the internet in general, and/or friends and family.

2. theimpossibles1

Exactly. Once you start watching games on dvr it is painful to watch live with commercials, timeouts etc. I now watch multiple games within an hour whereas before I would spend 3 hours to watch one game.

Rocketman95 likes this.
  3. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I know a lot of people do it, but I could never watch sports not live. It just seems like a phony experience.

4. theimpossibles1

Extreme minority? I really don't think so. Almost all of my friends and family agree with me on this. I imagine that people who have grown accustomed to dvr would mostly agree with me on this. However I am not aware of the % of people who do watch recorded sports. I believe it is a fairly large (and growing) group.

Tomstro likes this.
  5. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Its almost like the TV guide channel. Useless info that you can now have at your fingertips if you want it.

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Another annoying scrolling score thing is when I am watching the Texans on Sunday ticket on my computer or iPad while watching another game on TV because the direct TV feed is generally a couple of plays behind live TV, so they may show a score/play update for the Texans game.

7. kaleidosky

Recorded sports I agree is growing.

But % of those people who are watching other sports at the same time as their recorded event, and still care about preserving a lack of knowledge on the recorded event? I think that # is very small.

And % of the first group that may not be watching other sports at the same time, but is willing to wait more than a handful of hours to watch--and still again needs to preserve a lack of knowledge? I think that # is small because there are so many other avenues to spoil your outcome. You'd have to fight the scrolling scoreboard and a million other things.

8. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Doesn't bother me too much, but I imagine this will be an option in the future rather than a requirement. Like a closed-caption button, except for the ticker.

I get spoilered way more often when friends text me or I accidentally check facebook. I have to actively remember to not check my phone at all if I don't want to know a score.

9. theimpossibles1

The struggle is real lol. Yes when I have a recorded event and have social obligations that overlap it can be stressful to avoid looking at/listening to and generally avoiding potential spoilers. But when, say, I make it through a work shift without hearing or seeing anything about the big game, the feeling of relief and satisfaction when I tune in and begin my recorded broadcast is very real.

Tomstro likes this.
  10. theimpossibles1

The phone goes face down until I am live lol.

11. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

It also has to go on silent, bc I'll know something big happened if it starts going off a bunch of times, and at that point I have no choice but to check and find out.

Also, my friends are assholes. They will still text even if I say not to... usually by accident, but sometimes to be dicks.

12. theimpossibles1

I have done this too, but watching Brock Osweiler throw an INT with a stretched out ratio is extra annoying ;)

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I don't record and watch games later, but I'd still love the eliminate the visual clutter.

I'm old, but I used to enjoy TV games more. I recall basketball games without the visual clutter and without idiots talking constantly and without music blaring in the arena: just the sounds of the actual game and crowd, uninterrupted for whole seconds at a time. LOL.

But OP, it will never happen. Degenerate gamblers want to see those updates constantly in case they've laid fool's $ across several sports on that day.

14. Buck Turgidson

I record Astros/Rockets games all the time, I'm usually not in front of a TV at 7PM unless it's the playoffs. It is frustrating, but I have learned to work around it.

15. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I don't like them, for the same reason as the OP, but I feel like spoilers are the risk I take when not watching live, so I voted other. I try to avoid spoilers as best I can, but I don't expect others to go out of their way to accommodate me.

16. Agent94

Agent94 Member

This has really annoyed me lately. I didn't notice it until recently when the rockets where up by 20 with 5 minutes left and the idiot sound board guy was still playing the "defense clap clap defense" sound bite every time down the floor. Of course the whole arena was dead silent except for the sound clip because the game was basically over. Now I can't unhear it. EVERY SINGLE POSSESSION. Its either "lets go rockets", or "defense, defense" without a care for the time or score.

B-Bob likes this.
  17. Agent94

Agent94 Member

I found a late night replay of a Rockets game once and had not seen the score so I thought I would sit back and watch the game. Not two minute later the scroller on the bottom showed the final score of the game I was watching. Thanks Comcast!

18. theimpossibles1

That's the absolute worst.

19. kaleidosky

really hate that. unacceptable, but still happens.

Non-sports example. I'll record a replay of a TV episode (for example, the latest Walking Dead episode, replayed 5 days after original airing). Hate that they air commercials for the following episode during that broadcast, which contain spoilers for what you're watching

20. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me. Infuriating!

el gnomo likes this.