1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you like to see scrolling scores eliminated from TV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by theimpossibles1, Apr 17, 2017.

?

Would you like to see scrolling scores eliminated from TV?

1. Eliminate them - all they accomplish is spoiling digitally recorded games.

2. Keep them - I don't have a smartphone in my pocket/purse or I find them useful or entertaining.

3. Other...explain

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. theimpossibles1

I just had yet another of my recorded games ruined because I was watching the Astros and saw the score of an NBA playoff game at the bottom of the screen. This has now happened more times than I can count, and sometimes ruins games that I had been extremely hyped to watch. I am sure this is a common occurence for many sports fans who enjoy watching digitally recorded games at their own leisure. I realize that many fans do not use a digital video recording (dvr) service, but at this point almost everyone has access to the internet in their pocket or purse via a smartphone or tablet. I personally find it condescending that networks feel the need to constantly force sports scores on us via the bottom scores bar on tv when we can simply access these scores on our own via a quick search or couple of taps on an internet device. I want to know what the general consensus is on this subject, thanks for your votes!

ferrari77, B-Bob and Yung-T like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, that would be really annoying. Fortunately for me, I don't watch multiple sports....just the NBA.

But even then, I have had really great finishes to games spoiled, because when catching a game on NBA League pass after it finishes, their DVR-esque timeline shows that the game obviously went to overtime. Just by showing the time of the game is a spoiler....game was too long to finish on time per the timeline....or conversely you know the last second play failed or succeeds, because the timeline says it didn't go overtime. I started putting tape over the timeline, lulz.

Rox11, Yung-T and theimpossibles1 like this.
  3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

No, keep them. I just think there's too big a portion of sports fans who want to track multiple games rather than watch all of them real-time.

4. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

I'm indifferent I rarely record games but when I do and I'm watching another game i will put something to block the bottom of my screen.
    On a side note: i was watching an NBA replay on espn classic and my 8 year old son was like "where's the score?" I had to exolain to him that back then they didn't have the score on the screen at all times, and that you had to keep up with it yourself if you wanted to know it at all times or wait until they flashed it.

Yung-T likes this.
  5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I never paid attention to those scrolling scores on the bottom. I agree with the OP.

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You picked an early season Astros game over the Rockets in the playoffs. Just sayin'...

IBTL likes this.
  7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If it is something I really don't want to see, I adjust the size of the screen such that the bottom portion is no longer visible.

Yung-T likes this.
  8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Once upon a time, I picked a late season, important Rockets-Spurs game over the Astros third game of the season. Although the Rockets won that game (moving them one game behind the Spurs), sadly, I missed Ken Forsch's no-hitter.

9. theimpossibles1

No

10. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

It's pointless in the smart phone era. I don't record games, but I still don't like it. I like the presentation as simple as possible. In my dream broadcast, I get to control the camera angle and the audio presentation. I'd increase in-game sounds and lower or mute the commentary. I'd watch a majority of the game from a court level angle. Other times I'd watch from a high angle, like in Boston. Can't stand the club level zoom like in Dallas.

11. body slam

body slam Member

I don't mind if its the same sport.

12. marky :)

marky :) Member

Easy solution. Duct tape the bottom of your screen.

jbasket likes this.
  13. theimpossibles1

I feel exactly the same. It would be so great to turn the volume up and enjoy the roaring crowd without an announcer screaming at me.

14. Fantasma Negro

You don't have a remote, flip back and forth or do pip

15. theimpossibles1

I don't think you understand. Dvr users record games to watch later on their own schedule.

16. Fantasma Negro

Dude I get it but its live sports, sometimes during the week while I'm at work my BPL team will be playing like a champions league game, I record it and then avoid all media like the plague and then watch it first thing when I get home. A couple weeks ago though I had gone out of my way to not see a soccer game that started at 10:00, I had a haircut scheduled at 10:30 so I left my phone in the car because sometimes I get scoring alerts even when I disable them, I get in the barbershop, get my haircut and as I was standing up from the chair to pay the guy my eyes caught the halftime score on espn's crawl. Astros games are slow enough to where you can flip back and forth both recording so you don't miss anything

ferrari77 likes this.
  17. theimpossibles1

Ok I hear you. I record the astros games too so I can FF through it to the important at bats etc.

18. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I can't say for sure, but I'd bet that the vast majority of people don't bother to go back and watch sporting events that they've missed. I know I don't. If I didn't have time to watch the game when it was live, I sure as hell don't have time to go back and watch it after it's over. Especially when there are game recaps, highlights, and box scores available.

I say keep the ticker. It's only negatively affecting like 0.0001% of sports fans.

Joshfast likes this.
  19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm guessing there are a lot. It's rare I watch a sporting event live these days. For no other reason, than it's a waste of time (fast forwarding through free throws, timeouts, etc.). I can watch a football game in like 30 minutes since most of the time, they're just standing around.

20. theimpossibles1

That's a strange estimation, especially when the poll currently has over 50% of people in favor of eliminating the ticker.