1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

should the Texans draft TJ Watt?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Commodore, Dec 3, 2016.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The Colts will draft him. They know that the only way to beat Watt is to get one of their own.

Jatman20 likes this.
  2. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Rd 1 I'd be happy with any one of Ryan Ramczyk, Desmond King, O.J. Howard, the TE from Miami

Rd 2 Jake Butt, Budda Baker

Jatman20 likes this.
  3. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Maybe Watt, Forrest Lamp early 3rd rd slots

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Why looking so heavily at a TE? C.J. performed admirably towards the end of the year and has developed well. There are probably better places to spend picks right now, no?

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

TE would be a waste of a pick. CJF is showing that he's got the ability to be a top 10-15 TE in the league, and that's all we need from him.

kaleidosky likes this.
  6. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

No new news or anything like that, I was just wanting to see how people feel about the Texans drafting TJ now. Is it still realistic, draft position wise for the team? Is he worth it? I was just wanting to see where you guys stand on this, after it's been awhile.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

If we draft a LB early, hope its someone with coverage capabilities. He'd be a good fit as a rushing OLB and letting Clowney spin down to DE full time but not sure if it's a 1st round need.

Yaosthirdleg and Creepy Crawl like this.
  8. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

TJ Watt was featured on an episode of "Game Changers". They had TJ Watt, Solomon Thomas,
    Jonathan Allen, and Charles Harris. Host Jon Gruden with Willie McGinest and Demarcus Ware.

They mentioned TJ Watt has Clay Matthews ceiling/potential.

They asked TJ Watt, What makes you stand out from others at your position in this draft?

TJ: "I started out as a Tight End and then made the switch to defense." "I've only been doing this
    for 18 months." I have a lot of room for improvement."

He is my top pick in the 1st round if available.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Good fit but unfortunately we are in a spot where we actually have outright holes we have to fill with the draft.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This. Watt would make the defense impenetrable. But it's just bad timing. Who knows, maybe they will surprise us.

Jatman20 likes this.
  11. Newlin

Newlin Member

I could maybe see the Texans drafting him if all their top QB and offensive linemen targets are gone by the time they pick in the first round. Or, if Watt slides to the end of the second round. However, it looks like Watt is expected to go in the late first or early second round, so I'd say it's doubtful the Texans draft him. The Watt name may even push him into the middle of the first round.

12. tc0330

tc0330 Member

F***. Yes.

13. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Jags had a hole at quarterback. Drafted Blaine Gabbert ahead of Watt. Don't be like the Jags.

14. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...obinson-corey-davis/ri4fns6mjtbk1tvnhytfimlxj

— Linebacker: T.J. Watt, OLB, Wisconsin

J.J.’s little brother has seen his projection rise to Round 1. T.J. Watt, who is more of a second- or third-round talent than worthy of a top-30 draft choice, likely won’t go as high as current projections have him.

He tested well and is more than just a high-motor edge player, but Watt’s projection is situational and upside-driven. If he gets drafted in the first round, it’ll quickly become clear he was a reach.

15. basketballholic

I'm wondering how much draft pick value we could get for Clowney right now. Could we get a high first and a second and other picks? If so, I'd be intrigued with trading him, buying the bullet and drafting Mahomes with the first we got for him, then drafting TJ as his replacement with our 25th pick, then using our second and other picks to get our offensive line fixed.

16. texans1095

texans1095 Member

That definitely won't ever happen. Nor would it be a smart move for the Texans.

17. basketballholic

Yeah I doubt it. And football is not my strength. I was just thinking about the possibility of having to tie up so much cap in JJ and Clowney in a couple years might make it difficult to field a competitive team and the possibility of resetting the defense with double Wattage while simultaneously getting a great QB plus a lot more intrigued me. Sure looks to me like Mahomes would be great here. And it appears we gotta trade up to get him.

texans1095 likes this.
  18. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Yeah I love the idea of drafting Mahomes. But like you, I don't think he will last til 25.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Nah, no chance. Clowney is a generational type talent much like Watt. You keep those two together as long as you can because defense is what is going to keep you in games. WHen it comes to TJ Watt, I'm not sold that he'll be anything like his brother so that's not really a replacement for Clowney.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  20. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

If Mahomes isn't there, I don't see why not.

I mean what was the reason we picked Watt so high when everyone had him rated so low? Potential and high motor type player. Unless someone falls this low that shouldn't be at 25 I say go for it.