1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

POLL: Would You Support Trading Up in The Draft for QB?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Brando2101, Apr 4, 2017.

?

POLL: Would You Support Trading Up in The Draft for QB

1. Yes for Patrick Mahomes II, QB, Texas Tech

18.6%
  2. Yes for Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

17.5%
  3. Yes for Mitchell Trubisky, QB, North Carolina

11.3%
  4. No

60.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Im Just Sayin

Im Just Sayin Member

I'd actually support trading down and try to get more picks.

Jatman20 and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  2. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I voted "No."

Mahomes/Webb 1) Not familiar taking snaps from center. 2) Calls from the sideline. 3) Ran quit a bit
    ..............................in college (will be hurt as often as Mariota if they run in NFL) 4) Doesn't know what a huddle
    ............................. looks like. 5) Not very accurate; personally needs to run the ball to set up his passing.
    ............................. 6) If 1st WR option covered......runs (will get block knocked off in NFL).
    Trubisky 1) (See Mahomes/Webb above) exception is Trubisky goes thru his reads. Often throws a second
    ....................or two, too late.
    Kizer 1) (See Mahomes/Webb above) Platooned often during games this past season...esp in red-zone.
    Watson 1) Read-Option QB who had a good running back in Gallman, an all-world receiver in Williams,
    ...............a decent O-line and still struggled with accuracy during the season. 2) calls from sideline
    ...............3) Personally needs to run to set up his passing efficiency........will get his bell-rung. Can be
    ...............Russell Wilson "IF" he learns to slide, get out of bounds, throw the ball away. I don't believe
    ...............Watson will find it easy to emulate the qualities that make Wilson successful.....and Watson
    ...............won't be as accurate as Wilson. Average NFL QB at best.......without the manage the game skills
    ...............that Wilson possesses.

Get 1) TJ Watt in 1st rd. 2) play Cushing more at Simon (OLB) position.....saves Cushing from injury
    like Dallas did with Sean Lee (less ability to run sideline to sideline). Cushing doesn't blitz up the middle
    since last injury where RB tagged Cushing in his planted knee. TJ Watt can play both ILB or OLB.
    Will be nice to have TJ blitz up the middle while attacking....light on his feet-ready to leap over RB.
    3) Best OT available in rd 2. 3) rest of draft LB's/Corners/Safeties. 4) WR/RBs/behemoth NT in 7th rd
    to undrafted. 5) Give Hopkins/Clowney extensions 6) mortgage the future next year to get Rosen (UCLA)
    or other top QB's........again..... next year.

3. tc0330

tc0330 Member

I like your idea of drafting TJ Watt. I'm all for it. Just don't think we should spend a 1st rd pick on him before grabbing a QB. I would, however, love to see us draft one (any) of the QB's you listed above, package Jonathon Joseph with a pick to move up or grab another 2nd rd pick to snag TJ Watt. Then use the rest of our picks on o-lineman and a new CB.

4. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I watched footage on all top-5 QB's. Very unimpressive to me. Fitzpatrick was a Harvard grad and saw defenses
    in the NFL for years. It took Fitzpatrick about 9 games to look anything like competent in the system. It's a very
    difficult offensive system for experienced QB's. Mallet and Osweiler played in the same type system
    in New England and Denver respectfully. These college spread-offense read-option QB's normally don't
    run a huddle and have calls made from the sideline. No way O'Brien lets them see playing time; as every
    down will be important on a contending team. No room for entry level QB with the Texans this yr.
    Savage knows the system. BO'B's job is on the line.

Because the QB you drafted in the 1st round this yr didn't get much playing time.....people will be insisting
    on drafting a QB in the 1st rd next yr. Guys like John McClain will say, "QB-X didn't get much playing time last yr."
    "he is an unproven commodity." You can't go into a contending type season with an unproven QB."
    "Texans have to move up in the 1st rd and draft Rosen (UCLA) or Baker Mayfield (OKL) or another QB."

Why draft one of these guys this yr in the first rd......if you have to draft another QB next yr in the 1st rd.

Rule of thumb is, "if you miss out on that QB drafted in the first round; you set your franchise back 10 yrs."
    Texans dodged a bullet this offseason dumping Osweiler. First rd pick needs to start. TJ Watt would start
    for me. These QB's in this system would not. Dallas plays an offense that uses timing routes predominantly.
    Houston runs routes according to defensive coverage which is constantly changing. Not sure Dak
    would do so well in Houston. Dallas has a #1 ranked o-line for years. All world WR in Dez
    (Terrence W, Brice Butler, Cole Beasley stepped up),
    Zek and Morris running the ball. Not sure Goff or Wentz would fare well with the Texans last year. I would
    mortgage the future next yr on a better quality QB from college vs this yrs QB's.

#44 Jatman20, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  5. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Here is an article on Spread Offense QB's coming out of college. It's out dated (2011) but still holds some validity.

http://www.denverpost.com/2011/02/28/spread-offense-qbs-great-in-college-not-so-much-in-nfl/

Cam Newton has progressed (lead team to Super Bowl) but then regressed. Cam is huge though.
    Watson is Geno Smith & Bridgewater size. Probably too small to run in NFL and expect success.

Now if Watson runs like Russell Wilson.....like Dak runs like Wilson; get out of bounds, slide early
    get rid of the ball in 3.2 seconds, manage the game by not turning the ball over/interceptions. Then
    Watson can be successful. If you watch Watson on you tube.....he runs a lot of read option.
    Teams have learned to crush the QB on read options every time. This has lessened the read option
    in the NFL.

I tried envisioned RGIII when he came out of college, having his running game taken away. Would he still be
    successful passing as a pocket QB. I felt like RGIII would not. He sets up his passing by running. Manziel
    was the same. NFL defenses are smart......take away the run and make the QB 1-dimensional (be a pocket QB).
    They will do the same with Watson. Watson had about 6 decent games during the 12 game college season.
    6 not so good games (of course 2 good playoff games). He was seen as in accurate this yr, with exception
    to the 2 playoff games. Clemson gas all world WR Mike Williams, RB Gallman, TE legit, decent O-line, and
    additional WR's as well. A ton of talent vs other college programs. Take away Watson running, can he be
    successful. I question it. Not worth moving up to top 10 to get him.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

With receivers like Taywan Taylor, Ryan Switzer (who could be our Cole Beasley), KD Cannon and my personal favorite, Josh Reynolds slated to go in later rounds, I'm tempted to try a Hopkins plus pick for #12. Maybe they could even keep their #25 pick as well.

7. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I'd trade up for Mahomes.
    But only as far as our 2nd this year would get us.
    Nothing more!

8. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

https://www.ndtscouting.com/notes/2018-qb-class/

Every year we hear that next year’s quarterback class is better, so it is worth waiting for them. This thinking is flawed because, yes, next year’s class is talented but they have yet to go under the microscope of intense film study. Whenever this happens to a player, warts appear.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The funny thing about next year's qbs is that some of them have been playing and we have yet to hear much about them. Some maybe even backing up current draftees.

10. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

True. I've looked at footage on this years class and most of next yrs class. I can't argue that this yrs class lacks a lot.
    Not that you like this scout site; Walterfootball.com had Mahomes projected as 1-2 rd pick this yr....but if he
    came out next yr as 4-6 rd pick. He was rated as 3rd best QB this yr; but 12th best if he came out next yr.
    Rosen of UCLA is rated 2nd. Baker Mayfield rated 10th. Mahomes was advised to come out this yr as a result.

McShay is the only scout saying these top 5 don't like to throw short to the edges. He called Mahomes saying
    he dreads throwing 10 & outs (or in the flats). Now Jaworiski came out yesterday saying now of these guys are
    worth drafting in the 1st rd. So the warts are finally being noted on these guys. Teams need to be aware.
    and advised. It's a matter of desperation.....I want my 1st rd pick to start.

Houston will have options. Spotrac list of 2018 UFA QB's: Brees, Coisins, Bradford, Matt Stafford, Derek Carr,
    Geno Smith, Garoppolo, EJ Manuel, Kellen Moore, Matt McGloin, Mettenberger, Chase Daniel, Savage, Weeden.

Some of those names are terrible. Just making the point that every yr QB's are over hyped and every year NFL
    teams regret it. Can't pass on guys like Cousins, Garoppolo, Geno Smith, EJ Manuel, Mettenberger, Weeden
    will be available. You can probably have Tannehill and Gabbert if you want them. Throw in Ponder.

Jets drafted gotta have Bryce Petty and Hackenberg and guess what? They need to draft a 1st rd QB again this yr.
    Same thing with Houston if they draft any of these QB's this yr. They will need to draft one of the QB's next yr.
    But the media gets away with it by saying they need competition. People are underestimating the complexity
    of the Texans offense. JaMarcus Russell could throw the ball 80 yards while on his knees.....buyer beware.

11. CallMeTheDream

My point is if you're gonna draft an air raid qb why not do it in the fifth with Chad Kelly who at least played against better competition. I just don't get the hype with Mahomes, he doesn't look even a tad bit better than Kelly.

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Interesting.

14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

how about taking a right tackle that will play for a decade and help keep the kid you've already invested in from getting hurt again?

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Because he is not the answer.