1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lance Zierlein leaving 1560

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BP0803, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

I keep checking his Twitter for any signs of life and nothing, TBF he's not a voracious Tweeter.. I think he's only got 1 option of where to land and that's 97.5.

2. the shark

the shark Member

Thanks Torn. If you hear anything please let us know!

3. Poloshirtbandit

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Podcast not an option? He could still maintain sponsorship and local team connections.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

He doesn't seem like a podcast guy to me. His show is entirely caller driven and he's not particularly tech savvy.

RasaqBoi and A_3PO like this.
  6. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

All I know is on opening day there was a missing tile in our collective mosaics bc CP wasn't there soaking it in on air...

desihooper and mikol13 like this.
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

A podcast is probably less technical than a big market radio station with a digital call board.

Also, he still remained the best interviewer in the Houston market and was likely more respected amongst the guests like Nolan Ryan, Bullard, and Cushing.

Combine that with his usual monologue (that he also did better than any of the current hosts) and that's about all you would need.

desihooper likes this.
  8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Why Stern? Were you a fan back in the day? His show is absolute **** now thanks to Marcy Turk. So watered down, no more back office drama, he's blocked half of the best callers and wack packers, blocked Gilbert who was one of the best sit ins on the news EVER and Howard's just turned into a kiss ass Yenta who wants to stay with the in crowd yet won't leave his house due to mental illness. I miss the Sirius days up until around 2008 and the mid to late 90's Stern. Can't even stomach him now so I just watch old Youtube clips.

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Sorta off track, but yes, I listened to Stern back in terrestrial radio days... and yes, they were much funnier. Funnier bits, funnier callers, funnier wackpackers. But what I enjoy of today's Stern are still the interviews (he is one of the best interviewers) and the News with Robin,

And even at its worse... its way better than Lance (annoying and unfunny) and Seth Payne (annoying and will not shut up). So if I do turn the radio (I Heart Radio, TuneIn radio, or Sirius XM radio) in my office, I choose Stern, at least in the mornings, and at least until football returns when I listen to the Fantasy Football shows...

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

not the last couple of weeks. Memet's breakdown and then Gary has been pretty vicious to Sal recently. But I do agree howard's toned it down a lot.

11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Yeah, but at least are put on the best of the week or whatever it's called on the App on his on Demand channels. I can listen to those without listening to his show and hearing Robin cackle on her ISDN line from home. I can't even stomach his interviews any longer. Same exact questions every single guest. Plus he keeps interviewing the same people like twice a year. He's just become a lazy old man, coasting until his contract is up.

Sorry for the derail.

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i can't argue with you at all. I'm routinely a week or two behind so i only listen on the app (which sucks btw). Robin is more ridiculous and worthless than ever. I wish she would just realize that she only has a job because Howard's OCD won't let her go, and not think that what she has to say is actually interesting. All she has to do is read snippets of the news that someone else provides her and she can't even get that right.

And yes, Howard's interviews have grown lazy. what's your process? how long did it take you to write that? isn't a studio set an aphrodisiac? the same handful of questions.

Chelsey handler being on, again, is the most recent and blatant sign he's mailing it in. She was on less than a year ago and promoting the same show no one is watching.

back on topic. I haven't listened to local sports radio in year...and i don't miss it. I always though Lance Z was funny, but he is too overbearing at times and way to ADD. Less is more

13. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

when does his contract end? like when can he go somewhere else?

charlie was the best. people want to do morning radio guy and preposterous trade talk and douche bags on air. charlie was just about the sports, granted it didn't leave a lot of room for the callers at points but he was still the best, i can't believe that sniveling ninny replaced him.

BigMaloe and Torn n Frayed like this.
  14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Congrats. I'm going on 3 years. No regrets, no turning back.

Music is better while driving.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I had bought a new vehicle and it came with XM satellite
    It went out about 3 weeks ago . .. . . .
    I had figured it came with the truck . . ..

Unsure if I want to pay for radio
    however, sports radio kind of sucks and regular radio is not a great as I remember.

Now. . I am looking for more Books on CD.

Rocket River

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I've subscribed to satellite radio (Sirius, then XM) for many years. I like the commercial free aspect of music as well as broader selection in music, the added content like comedy, non-local sports and news talk, and Howard Stern. One big added value is when you travel... the ability to listen continuously versus hunting for local radio shows. I think XM is overpriced though and dislike the need to armwrestle them on pricing.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So Josh Anus is back on 790 now?

Rocket River

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

And Brett Favre is going to come out of retirement!

It was back in October and there is an ongoing thread waiting for and celebrating his eventual demise.

19. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

Brian T. Smith is terrible

20. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

yes. it's as bad as you think it is too. it's barely sports talk. barely. burly.