1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How bout Phillip Rivers?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by NicaHoustonian, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think anyone thinks that he would cry due to BOB's coaching techniques, it's that he doesn't have the QB talent to run BOB's system.....and if they tried it he would most likely be even worse than anyone on the roster last season and as such would end up riding the bench and being nothing but a distraction as people clamor for him to play for non-football reasons.

It really should be a dead issue.

2. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

My apologies on where Rivers is from. On Wikipedia it mentioned Phillip Rivers attending Athens HS;
    but later mention Austin High school. His brother Stephen Rivers, after attending Athens High school attended Austin High School.
    I'm working right now.....will be happy to comment later on the rest DonkeyPunch.

3. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I'd love to have Rivers, but I honestly don't know if I can realistically see that happening. Last I heard is the Rivers and LA situation was mostly resolved, and teams aren't just in a hurry to give up franchise QB's. Rivers still has it and probably has a few years left. I'm the Texans I absolutely do this, finding a franchise QB is an absolute crapshoot and we need to get out of this QB-purgatory.

Rivers is one of the best QB's in the league. Most will scoff at his interceptions but that is largely a function of always playing from behind as well as a weak offensive line and limited weapons to work with.

Jatman20 likes this.
  4. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I agree with you John McLain. He wants the Texans to draft a 1st rd QB every yr. He wanted
    the Texans to draft Manziel with a passion. He finally abandoned that a couple weeks before
    that draft.

5. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

The difference is Harbaugh yells then gives you a big hug and says everything is going to be all right.
    If you know about the Harbaughs.....they get out of bed singing, "Oh what a wonderful Day."
    They get that from their dad who should have been an emotional speaker. Saw an interview with
    him giving his kids a Knute speach every morning. This is and will be the greatest day of your life.
    stuff.

BO'B yells at you and then plants his foot up your @** (see Hard Knocks).....(see BO'B chewing out Tom Brady)

6. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I'm not sure of your reference: podcasts with pancakes? If that's a name of a podcast or if you are saying
    I probably didn't hear right? Your #3 & 5 bullet point.

I'm not a fan of John McClain since his push for Manziel. I was against that from the beginning.
    I know I heard McClain said he would mortgage the immediate future for one of these QB's
    I'm completely against that move. McClain said Houston "should give up" this years 1st and next
    years first rd pick. He said even a 2nd rd pick (since the Texans traded next yrs 2nd, I'm guessing he meant
    this year). His logic was: Houston has good developmental coaches that will coach
    up any of the these QB's picked in the 1st rd.

Again I don't agree with John McClain. Those developmental coaches could "NOT" coach up Osweiler........let them coach up Savage. I could keep Savage from getting injured by coaching him to slide sooner if he runs, get rid of the ball in 3.1 secs instead of trying to hold on to the ball for
    4 secs. Getting another blocking TE that can catch. Jake Butt has been compared to Mark
    Bavaro as a TE who can block & catch. The Texans could lessen the Lamm-tackle eligible play. Instead play Fredorowicz and Butt to help cover poor tackle play from both right and left (Duane Brown's skills are diminishing). None of the OT's coming out this year will fare well vs the spread rushers they will face in the NFL. Cam Robinson probably will need to move to Guard eventually. Texans can get a Anthony Garcia or Moton in the 2nd rd or OT in later rds if the Texans
    can get a blocking TE to help. Maybe Duane Brown to RT with Fredorowicz helping our new OT playing LT. I see little to no chip blocking by Griffin and Anderson. Lamm is no real threat to
    catch after blocking.

Your point 2) Cushing or Joseph. Rivers gets paid about $11 million plus bonuses. Not sure they would have
    any interest in either. Texans were the #1 defensive team without JJ Watt; Cushing and Joseph were
    starters on that squad. Chargers are not winning anything this year in that division. It may be all about
    draft picks for them. They could get a starter with aging skills+draft picks. A story noted guys the Texans
    could cut to save money on cap. Cushing came up..... too much to cut this yr; at seasons end his cap
    hit if released would be about $1 mil. Of course it's all pending Rivers mind set with team. Things
    reported are not always the truth. Rivers may still want out to go to a team contending to finish his career.
    Worth a try.

Yes I know Jake Butt is injured. He says he will be ready by July. I'm hoping by Oct. Texans
    may have to move up in 2nd round for Jake Butt. Texans run the Erhardt-Perkins offensive
    scheme. Fredorowicz/Butt "could" be shades of Gronk/Hernandez (QB safety valve-keep
    from getting injured by way of quick hit).

#46 Jatman20, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  7. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Why is this being discussed? Rivers is okay with the LA move, and LA would alienate their new fan base by ridding themselves of him. No chance he is moved.

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL......I guess u missed their 2016 season? Lions are not trading Stafford. GIVE IT UP. History? Rick Smith has been very good in Free Agency, 1st round and later rounds of the draft, and getting undrafted Free Agency. No QB has been drafted because the coaches have not wanted one when the picks came in. It is not just Rick Smith's decision. QB's are tied to the coach...period.

9. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Who made the decision on Osweiler is questionable. After the Texans lost to Kansas City in 2015/16
    Playoffs....I saw the owner say he wanted to get more team speed and a better QB upgrade. Texans
    went out and got Fuller/Braxton/Tyler Ervin & Osweiler for QB.
    I saw Bill O'Brien say that "they" like Brock a lot. O'Bien said he looked at every snap Brock had with
    Denver prior to making the decision to go after him. O'Brien said he made all the throws. Maybe
    Bill was toeing the company line.

I will say this; I knew Brock was going to be a free agent while with Denver so I watched his game vs
    New England. I wanted to see Brock throw short; but mostly the deep pass along the sideline.
    Brock made that throw well. I told others we finally have a guy that will give Hopkins a chance
    to go up for that jump ball. Hoyer/Mallet kept throwing the ball 5 yds out of bounds. Well the
    Texans got Brock and.......he kept throwing the ball 5 yards out of bounds. It's frustrating.
    Weeded can make that throw; but Savage makes the other throws better.

Texans should just find ways of keeping Savage upright and build the team around him.

Personally I don't believe Cutler or Kaepernick will cut it. Fitzpatrick was a Harvard grad
    who took about 9 games to learn the system. Fitzpatrick had been a starter before & read
    defenses adequately....not great; but adequately. Jury is out on the mood/temperament/smarts
    of Kap & Cutler.
    Garoppolo may turn out to be as good as Cassell/Matt Flynn/Mallett/Hoyer away from NE.
    Garoppolo was schedule to start 4 games while Tom Brady was suspended. He started 1 3/4
    of a game during that time. Not sure what the starts to injury ratio is between Savage & Garoppolo; but
    Garoppolo is inching towards matching savage.
    McCarron won't move the needle.
    Romo retired.
    Trubisky/Mahomes/Kizer/Webb/Watson are 2 yr projects. See Fitzpatrick having hard time learning scheme.
    Rivers would work for both Houston & Rivers.....not sure Chargers are keen on that move.
    Gabbert looked good during Harbaugh reign(49ers)... Lost the Magic during Chip Kelly reign.
    Texans can go after Ponder/Manziel/Mettenberger/Tannehill/Bridgewater/Geno Smith.....more if they want.
    None of those can't miss top draft picks have panned out.

#49 Jatman20, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  10. today

today Contributing Member

Maybe you missed this, but a week ago it came out that Brock was Rick Smith's choice, he never consulted O'Brien at all. They talked about it on 610 last week, it was from a La Canfora interview or something.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

John McClain flatly denies this; I know that'll invite a flood of "Pancakes!" responses but he is adamant BOB was not only involved but signed off on it. Remember, he reported on this when everything was still rainbows and unicorns. I don't know if the two sides are now engaged in a "No, it was HIS fault" game - but in the immediate aftermath, there was no sense of division, rancor or finger-pointing; they all presented - and detailed - a united front.

My guess - just a guess - Smith brought the idea to McNair (money) and O'Brien (coaching) for both to sign off, which they did. I just can't believe Smith would undermine his coach like that, or that O'Brien would allow himself to be undermined like that.

Jatman20 likes this.
  12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Smith controls who gets signed.

BOB controls who plays.

They consult each other, but at the end of the day, they each have final say and therefore total control over the outcomes in their respective lanes.

Osweiler was Smith's decision.

13. Hey Now!

Fair enough. Then BOB implicitly endorsed the deal, first by starting Osweiler despite Savage outplaying him in training camp; then by sticking with Osweiler for 14.5 weeks despite rapidly decreasing ROI; finally, by choosing healthy Osweiler over healthy Savage for the the second playoff game.

That's the thing - BOB had ample opportunity to undermine the deal and NEVER did it until the season was nearly over.

Also, if Osweiler was Smith's decision, who's decision was it to trade him?

Jatman20 likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

IMO that's what is happening here. BOB doesn't want to take blame for yet another QB that can't succeed in his system so he's trying to blame it all on Smith. Of course, given that when BOB got who he wanted at QB we had to deal with Hoyer and Mallett.....I would think BOB would want to take some credit for a move that was sound in theory that just didn't work out when we know that the previous season he pushed for a plan that was stupid in theory and even worse in practice.

I think one thing is for sure, this is BOB's last chance to fail with a QB before he's fired. Right now I can't point to anything that BOB actually brings to the team as a positive. So far everything good has been RAC's defense and BOB's offenses have been bad and getting worse.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

If you give me asset X, and I am stuck with asset X, I am probably not going to crap on asset X until it is clear I cannot achieve my goal with it.

I can't speak to BOB/Rick's working interplay, but the contracts/signings stop with Rick. That much we know.

"Why did we run a bootleg HB pass on 4th and 1?" -- BOB complaint

"Why did we sign Turd Ferguson?" -- Rick complaint

Smith. I don't think anybody challenges/refutes that.

16. Hey Now!

Let me stop you right there... he was not stuck with asset X; in fact, he had his hand-picked QB running second team all season. That's a cop out. Per you, BOB controls who plays; he had no obligation to start Osweiler once he determined he wasn't the right fit, which didn't occur in week 16.

OK; so he he signed him without consultation - that must mean he traded him without consultation?...

Jatman20 likes this.
  17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

When I say "stuck with", I mean "unable to cut" and/or have no better option.

Did you not read this

or are you trying to create a strawman?

I have no idea who consulted who and to what degree on Osweiler (nor did I ever say I did), but they have said that they do consult each other about their respective areas of control. All I said was that at the end of the day it is Rick Smith's decision, so I'm not really interested in the whole "who consulted who" game.

#57 DonnyMost, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  18. Hey Now!

Maybe we should reset - I'm refuting this idea that Rick Smith signed Brock Osweiler without BOB's knowledge, opinion and/or approval. You seem to be supporting that narrative. If that's not what you're implying when you say, "(A)t the end of the day it (Osweiler) is Rick Smith's decision" - then carry on; we have no beef.

Jatman20 likes this.
  19. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

No, I heard about it. I just don't buy it. I think Smith is meant to take some heat off O'Brien and owner McNair.

Here you will see O'Brien saying he worked with Smith and staff to study everyone. It doesn't say the Texans watched
    every snap by Osweiler; but I know I saw O'Brien saying such before the season started.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ock-osweiler-and-houston-texans-leap-of-faith

Note date of article after Brock signing and before season started.

20. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

And here is Texans owner Bob McNair after the Texans lost to Kansas City in the playoffs saying they would
    work together to come to a group consensus on the new QB.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexan...media-for-first-time-after-ugly-playoff-loss/