1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tony Romo retiring

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by TMAC3, Apr 4, 2017.

1. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Some afterthought! I'll bet the bozos over on Kirby wished they'd had the same "afterthought". For the life of me, I cannot understand why folks in Houston want to cling to the notion that the Cows were somehow lucky to get Prescott. Sure, they had guys like Lynch and Cook rated higher but once those guys were off the board, they were "lucky" enough to have someone in their draft room who'd actually done his homework on Dak and forcefully made the case to take him. That's a far, far cry from what the Texans did with the Osweiler debacle. A bunch of teams had a shot at Dak and passed on him but the one team that did things the right way ended up finding themselves a gem at the QB position. That's the point that you refuse to see here - that had the Texans done things the right way, they could have grabbed someone like Dak for themselves. Whether he works out or not at the very least they'd be in a MUCH different position than they find themselves in today. Instead, we got the Osweiler crash, burn and salary dump along with the sad (and pathetic) pursuit of Tony Romo. BoB can spread all of the BS he wants about their current situation but the reality is that this franchise has once again managed to screw itself.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They also have a coach who isn't scared of coaching rookies and an OL that can protect the QB

deb4rockets likes this.
  3. Fantasma Negro

Why wasn't Quincy Carter given this type of treatment lol

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Sitting on the bench and not making the playoffs fits right in for Romo

Yaosthirdleg and donkeypunch like this.
  5. conquistador#11

y u no post video of romo passing.

Fullcourt likes this.
  6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It's not just people in Houston...

They were lucky - lucky that Denver made a better offer to Seattle so they didn't draft Lynch; lucky Oakland moved a spot ahead of them to take Cook. If one of those things hadn't happened, the Cowboys would NOT have drafted Precott, no matter how many times Wade Wilson jumped up and down and told them what fools they were.

So, the "right" way would have been to pass on Osweiler, fail in your attempt to draft Paxton Lynch, fail in your attempt to draft Connor Cook and then, with your *second* pick in the 4th round, nab Dak Prescott, and have not one but two QBs listed ahead of Prescott on their preseason depth chart get hurt?

In terms of screwing themsevles - for the record, they're turning their team over to a guy they picked with their second of two fourth round picks because someone in their war room really loved him. What a terrible idea, right? They'd have to get really LUCKY for that work out.........

texans1095 likes this.
  7. Mr. Clutch

You help create your own luck.

Guess what, we aren't gonna get lucky drafting a QB in the second round next year because we traded the pick for capspace we didn't need.

Nook likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

All I know is that the Texans, yet again do not have a QB and are spinning their wheels yet again.

Major, Fullcourt and Mr. Clutch like this.
  9. Fantasma Negro

[​IMG]

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/235264/tony-romo-has-not-filed-retirement-papers

11. Mr. Clutch

I'm gonna go ahead and say "yes" to this question.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

All that luck and knowledge and they still couldn't get farther than the not-so-lucky and not-so-smart Texans.

:rolleyes:

Hey Now! likes this.
  13. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

14. Hey Now!

I'll never beat the Texans up for that; they aggressively pursued the consensus best QB in either free agency or the draft. It didn't work out and they can certainly be held accountable for that - but I'll never bash the thought process.

Nimo likes this.
  15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Sorry to bump this but the truth is funny.

16. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm glad we didn't get Romo. He was hyped up too much for a QB that never won a SuperBowl. Add the injuries and he is even less appealing to me. I didn't want Dallas' leftovers anyway. The only reason he got the gig as a sports announcer is because he was the Cowboys' QB and is nice looking.

17. Hey Now!

So I'm guessing, if the Colts offered us Andrew Luck, you'd turn them down? What about if the Falcons offered Matt Ryan? No interest in Derek Carr? Cam Newton? Heck, I'm guessing if the Colts had called you after Peyton Manning's eighth season, you would have looked for rings on his hands and then, having seen none, said, "Pass"?

There are a LOT of reasons for passing on various QBs; frankly, not winning a tram championship is one of the weaker ones...

18. Fantasma Negro

Is being injury prone a good enough one. Winning playoff games not a good criteria? What exactly did Romo do that makes the request for his services so dire? What did Romo do that contributed to winning anything significant? Winning a superbowl shouldn't be the end all be all for whether a qb is legit but don't be a w**** about the position either. Yeah give me Newton, Carr and Ryan but what the **** has Andrew Luck ever done? You want to continue to slob the knob of mediocrity go head, Romo is a good start, don't forget Schaub

19. Hey Now!

But... how's their body language?....

Of the QBs you mentioned, Tony Romo leads every one of them in all of the following categories: completion %; TD/INT ratio; YPA; QB rating. The ONLY exception: Derek Carr has a higher ratio (2.6:1 to 2.2:1). That's it. You do yourself no favors calling Tony Romo mediocre. Old? Sure. Past his prime? Yeah, possibly. But he was not mediocre.