1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel Movie] Thor : Ragnarok

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Nero

Nero Member

Ok so, the question I have is this:

In all the MCU movies we have seen thus far, when Thor has been present, he has been a serious character, brooding even. Yes, he has a zest for life, which gives that sort of charming anachronism to the whole affair.

But in none of it has Thor been considered any kind of clown or buffoon. There was the one line 'He's adopted.', and in Dark World, he destroys the Rock Giant and casually asks 'Anyone else?'. But that's about the extent of the humor in the character.

Now I'm not saying that's either good or bad, it just is what it is.

Then over the last year, during the time of Civil Warm when Hulk & Thor were absent, we did get to see these comical little one-offs with Thor and his roommate. And Ruffalo pops up in the second one, and it is clear in those shorts that they were joking around, playing at Thor being a buffoon, that none of the other Avengers really want him around, and that he is a sort of lonely simpleton.

And yeah, it was all fun and funny.

But are they keeping that angle on the character in the new movie, and moving forward? I know Waititi is a very good comic director, and the 'He's a friend from work!' line has me a bit worried, simply because it does not match the character we have seen so far, and certainly doesn't match the comics themselves. Is this going to be an outright comedy, more along the lines of Deadpool?

And I am not really digging on this 'Stranger Things/Kung Fury' vibe in the trailer. I don't HATE it, I guess I just don't really understand what they are going for with it.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  2. Vivid

Vivid Member

Nope.

3. 713

713 Member

Cate Blanchett is 47? She can get it.

tinman likes this.
  4. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Always wanted Marvel to cast Eva Green as Hela but Cate Blanchett looks spectacular.

Can't wait.

5. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I thought every part of the trailer was awesome, except the comic relief. I'm hoping it's something that doesn't make it to the final cut of the movie. It was completely out of place.

Obito likes this.
  6. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I dunno. I appreciate opening up the character to some of the whimsy that the other characters/movies have. Otherwise it's all pretty boring.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Eva Green should have won some awards for Penny Dreadful, she made that show

Obito and dmoneybangbang like this.
  8. dmoneybangbang

Eva Green should always win whatever she wants.

Obito and tinman like this.
  9. marky :)

marky :) Member

Didn't seem out of place since he would love to see which one of them was the strongest. Assuming you're talking about his lines when he saw that his opponent was The Hulk.

10. Obito

Thor's comic relief should be short and subtle. I agree with Falcon, too much of it in the trailer.

11. dmoneybangbang

It seems Marvel is moving towards more lighthearted Guardian-esque type of vibe. Yes the galaxy and universe is in trouble again, but they're gonna have fun saving it. Seems the Avengers movie all have had this type of light-heartedness that you didn't have in any of the stand alone Thor movies.

12. Obito

Yeah it's starting to become a trend. I mean it's Marvel, not DC, it's not supposed to be dark. That being said, there are some characters that are more serious than others (Thor, Vision, Punisher mainly). I'm not trying to nit pick either because it is minor & overall Marvel's done a good job with the movies, but like you said... it's becoming a trend & I don't want these movies to start getting Disney-er.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm fine with it for Thor 3, mainly because I didn't like the other Thor movies much and this director excels with humor. Daredevil kept it real, not everything gets Disney-fied. Yet...

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

does this confirm we are getting planet hulk? If so I'm back on board.

15. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

this is the Marvel cinematic universe's version of planet hulk isn't it?

16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I didnt like either of the first two Thor movies.

Too much cheese.

Hopefully this one lives up to the expectations.

17. dmoneybangbang

That's what I thought.

18. dmoneybangbang

Agreed. I like the Guardians and Avengers feel because there's much more of team work/ comradery but it's a fine line.

Hopefully we can get some more Logan/Dark Knight type of hard hitting movies.

Obito likes this.
  19. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Should be iron man for planet hulk.

20. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Never read comic, But no ironman in old planet hulk movie. Wikipedia says no Ironman for comic too. Just hulk on Sakaar which is the planet this movie takes place on.