1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How bout Phillip Rivers?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by NicaHoustonian, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Stop trying to find shortcuts. That's why the Texans are in this position. Your answer is play Savage and see what he has, plus draft a QB in the first.

2. today

today Contributing Member

We're not trying to find a shortcut... Most of us have been saying to draft a QB in the 1st/2nd round for the last 4 years, so we're doing that this year no matter what (finally).

At best, Savage can get us to the playoffs and maybe we get to the Divisional Round, but that's the best he can do. I'd love to see him prove me wrong, but I think that his ceiling is having a QB rating of #20-25.

What I'm saying is that you have to be proactive and call other GMs to find out how much they are asking for their QBs, even if those QBs are not known to be "on the market". I'm still firm in my belief that Rick Smith doesn't know what the asking price is for Rivers/Flacco/Brees/Stafford.

Stafford was rumored to be unhappy last off-season before we signed Brock... Do you think that Rick Smith made the call to inquire? That's an easy call to make, even for a reactionary GM, but I bet Rick didn't even bother.

Did you catch the stuff yesterday about O'Brien not even being consulted by Rick Smith about signing Brock? We're fighting an uphill battle as long as he is our GM.

3. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

No indication that this is a realistic option. We trade for Jimmy, or likely roll with Savage and a rook IMO. Possibly sign Jimmy or trade for Bridgewater next summer if O'Brien goes full O'Brien and doesn't draft a QB until round 3-4.

4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

McNair wants a QB, and I don't think rounds 3-4 will be an option if he wants to keep his job. Not only that but the fans would be calling for his head on a platter. Jimmy could be an option, but at what cost? Cleveland might offer more than we would want to. Hopefully Bridgewater won't even need to be an option. I don't like the idea of a QB who had a dislocated knee and torn ACL in a non contact drill. Who knows how durable he will be, or if that injury will reoccur.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL that's adorable.

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL....Lions are not trading Stafford. Ravens would LOVE to get rid of that HORRIBLE Flacco contract......NO THANKS, Brees is not going anywhere. Just STOP. No one knows about who and what on Brock....doesn't matter...he is gone.

You have NO CLUE on what Rick Smith has inquired about..............stop pulling **** out of your ass.....and calling it a rose.

7. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

:D:D:D

8. Fullcourt

Agreed, but who knows what the landscape is a year from now.

9. Fullcourt

I agree with it's you, but a situation where we are caught with our pants down in round 2 where no QB is available is a plausible scenario.

10. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Bridgie Tedwater will still have chicken legs then too..

11. today

You can't prove otherwise... History is a great indicator of what Rick Smith is doing now... NOTHING. Lions did have Stafford on the trade block in early 2016.

12. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I believe Phillip Rivers to be the top option for the Texans to win now.

Rivers is from Texas. He has told associates for years he is not happy about playing in LA or having his family
    reside in LA. Will they take Jonathan Joseph, Cushing or both? This draft can supply replacements for both.

John McClain in podcast said he would mortgage the immediate future of the Texans for
    Mahomes/Kizer/Trubisky/Watson. Giving up this years 1st rd pick, 2nd rd pick, next yrs 1st rd.....more.
    I would continue building up the O-line, Safeties, Corners, while allowing Braxton Miller & Fuller to develop.
    Su'a Filo and Fredorowicz both mentioned how the 2 yr in the system is night & day vs the 1st yr in the system.

McCain also had the Texans drafting Manziel up until that yrs draft. Because the QB position is such a
    glamour position, the media will always push the QB's to sell viewership. Can't miss guys like Ponder, Gabbert,
    Mallet, Osweiler, Petty, Hackenberg, Mettenberger, Tannehill, Geno Smith, Bridgewater can all be had.
    Scratch Ozweiler. And Weeden is on the roster. McCain probably doesn't want any of those guys since
    they are not fresh out of the box or showroom.

I would mortgage the future next yr for: Rosen (UCLA), Darnold (USC), Falk (Wash St), Allen (Wyoming),
    Stidham (Auburn), Fitzgerald (Miss St), Litton (Marshall).....watch how they develop this college yr.
    Most are 6'4 or 6'5". I believe Litton is 6'6". All are better than this yrs crop.

Side note: found on b/r: Emory Hunt@FBallGameplan: McShay on Hou taking a QB:
    "Knowing what Bill O'Brien looks for a QB & the mental component involved, none of the
    NFL draft QB's can help." 8:14 AM-6 Apr 2017

I agree 100%. Kaepernick and Cutler wouldn't cut the mustard with O'Brien either. They would
    head to the locker room by half-time after BO'B yells at them the first time.

#32 Jatman20, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

So much fail in this post.

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

By all accounts, Kaepernick actually takes hard coaching incredibly well. He's had no issues with coaches getting into his face, or screaming at him when he makes a mistake. I'm not advocating for Kaep, but to say he would fold up the second BOB gets on him about something is categorically false.

15. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

That's your opinion. I'm entitled to mine. Kaepernick hasn't changed too much from his days this article was written back in 2013. One of the reasons coaches say Kaepernick can't read defenses. Most teams will overload the right side of the O-line; forcing Kaepernick left. All these yrs and he has failed to adapt. O'Brien
    will grill him.....and should after 5 yrs in the league.
    http://www.battleredblog.com/2013/10/4/4803524/the-film-room-colin-kaepernick-game-manager

Possible Indication Kaepernick doesn't care about football. He should know it's coming and
    anticipate accordingly.

One thing Beat Writer John McClain did say that I agreed with was: owner McCain is one of the most patriotic
    guys you will ever find. He watched the super bowl with Barbara and George Bush. That Kaepernick
    is seen as anti-American by many and that McCain would not like the optics. I would agree.
    We will agree to disagree. Good day to you.

Edited later: was in a hurry earlier. Owner McNair

#35 Jatman20, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  16. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Please explain "donkeypunch". I like talking football. Can talk all day. Please speak your mind.
    I'm open minded. Keep it civil please......Or press ignore and I will do so with you as well.

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Okay "Jatman20".
    1. Hes not from Texas
    2. Chargers would hang up immediately if the words Joseph or Cushing were said.
    3. You listened to a podcast with pancakes.
    4. Who the hell is trading this years first, next years 1st and 2nd to move up for this qb class?
    5. You listened to a podcast with pancakes.

18. today

Good point Jatman... I definitely agree that you take what you can get this year without trading up, and at the end of 2017 if that QB doesn't look like a strong candidate to be a solid starter, then re-evaluate in 2018 and go with the "mortgage the farm" option you see a guy that's worth it.

Hopefully O'Brien will play politics and do what he can to influence the selection of players on our roster. We've just got to get away from Rick Smith being the decision maker... I'm just praying for the day when he gets a "promotion" out of the GM role, he's earned it.

Jatman20 likes this.
  19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'm not disagreeing with you on anything other than the fact that Kaepernick takes coaching well. Like I said before, I am NOT advocating for Kaepernick. In fact, as a football player, I think he's far below average for just some of the reasons you listed. He hasn't adapted, he hasn't gotten better, and he hasn't shown an ability to change. But, pretty much every coach he's ever had has said that he's a good listener, and that he doesn't fold from pressure. That's my only point of contention with you.

I would also tell you to not take anything John McClain says as being remotely true. He's possibly the laziest journalist in the country. He only "reports" on what he thinks, and it's never founded on anything substantial.

Jatman20 likes this.
  20. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seriously, his best years were under Harbaugh. Legendarily intense yet Kap would cry because of big bad Bob? Unlikely.

Kap is not the answer and McNair would never sign him anyway but he would definitely be better than what they had last year. Regardless, acting like he couldn't handle a strong coach is stupid. Harbaugh is Bob on steroids with the added bonus of being a really good head coach.