1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 draft sleepers

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ThatBoyNick, Apr 8, 2017.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Rockets have two mid seconds, from Portland and Denver which are currently slotted at 44th and 45th.

From my little research, I see a lot of good options. Lots of 3pt shooters in the 2nd round, some decent big men options as well.

Cameron Oliver stands out to me as a classic Morey (undersized PF with long arms) pick, his skills could fit nicely with his athleticism, finishing ability, shot blocking, 3pt shooting and rebounding.

Other guys that look interesting

Caleb Swanigan / Mathias Lessort / VJ Beachem / Wesley Iwundu

Frank Mason and Andrew White are also two lights out shooters projected to go in 55-60 range, they may potentially be good un drafted pickups.

What are some players you guy's are excited about?

#1 ThatBoyNick, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    Hui, Yung-T, HTX Ninja and 4 others like this.
  2. basketballholic

Semi Ojeleye is projected to be a late first rounder. That's too low for him. If he's available at the end of the first I'd try to trade up for him. He should be a lottery pick in this draft. His offensive game is NBA ready. Our two seconds would probably not get it done but the point is if he does not rise up to the lottery he's a steal.

#2 basketballholic, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  3. basketballholic

Jonah Bolden is another possible sleeper. He's being unfairly penalized for his track to the NBA and his age. He left UCLA and went to Serbia last year. And he's coming up on 22. But his Serbian experience should enhance his draft status because he was playing in a pro league.

When you listen to him talk basketball you can see the advanced bball iq. This strength, along with his multiple skills, some of which were already NBA level (shooting and defense) make him a great sleeper. I'd be surprised if he went as low as projected. And if he's there with one of our picks and we haven't made any trades, I want him with one of our picks.

You need to watch him play.

don grahamleone and HTX Ninja like this.
  4. Normalus

Normalus Member

Have to agree on this one.

TEXNIFICENT and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  5. Progs

Progs Member

How about throwing Montrez Harrell with the Denver Nuggets 2nd rd pick. Specially, if Nene gets resigned.

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  6. Progs

Progs Member

Semi Ojeleye reminds me of Draymond Green, but physically more gifted. I think he goes anywhere from 25 to 30.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'll start out by saying I don't watch college ball, I only look at draft express and check #'s and scouting vids.

What I noticed when checking out Semi was that he only averages .4 blocks and steals in 34 mpg, going purely off the numbers I'd ask you if he's really that impactful of a defensive player, or even have that kind of potential? Green was averaging 1.5 steals and 1 block in college. Looking at Semi's numbers he's clearly more of a offensive threat leading his team with 19 points, hitting two 3's per game at 42%.

If we are thinking of trading up for a higher pick with defensive potential, someone who really stood out to me was OG Anunoby.

6'8, 19.7 years old SF. He averaged 1.3 blocks and steals per game in only 25 minutes, along with 5.4 rebounds, a 70% FG percentage and 30% 3pt percentage on 0.9 makes per game. He's clearly a raw offensive player but those are really good defensive numbers with a great FG%. He's projected to go mid first round right now, if he can develop a shot he would have the potential to be a real game changer in the NBA with his size, defensive potential, finishing ability and athleticism.

Zach Collins is another player that stands out to me with his rebounding, shot blocking, post game, high FG percentage, steals, developing 3pt shot, size, agility. He'd likely be a lotto pick if he declares for the draft, but he seems like he has all the tools to be a really good big in the NBA on both sides of the court.

red5rocket, fattz, awc713 and 2 others like this.
  8. basketballholic

No, Ojeleye is not an impactful defensive player. Yes, Anunoby is everything Ojeleye is not defensively. But also, Ojeleye is everything Anunoby isn't offensively. If you put them both together you'd have a perennial All-star prospect.

This thread is about potential sleepers however. Anunoby is still rated in the lottery despite his injury. I wouldn't label him a sleeper myself.

MorningZippo and don grahamleone like this.
  9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Maybe not a sleeper, but possibly a steal. If OG stays outside the lottery I think he'd be worthy of trying to trade up for. Same with Zach Collins. Outside of the top 3 players, Isaac, Collins and OG stand out to me. I don't think it would be possible for us to trade into the top 12 or so with our assets, which crosses Isaac off the list, but OG and Collins (if they both declare for the draft) might fall out to the 12+ range where we could possibly run in with a trade package.

Some other sleeper names to throw in this thread on top of my original post - Juwan Evans, Jordan Bell and Sindarius Thornwell.

How competitive is Boldon's league? I'm not familiar with overseas competition. I see he plays in the same league as Alpha Kalba who's putting up some decent numbers as well, just don't know how impressive they are given the talent. I saw Mathias Lessort played for the same team as Capela did so that kind of verified his stats a bit for me. Interestingly I think Jokic played on the same team as Alpha Kaba as well, which would lead me to ask why is Kalba projected to go in the 50 to undrafted range considering he's putting up some similar points/rebounding/block/steal %'s to what Jokic did.

#9 ThatBoyNick, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  10. Progs

Progs Member

Yea...Rockets would have to trade to the middle of the 1st to have a chance at OG. Collins is a lotto pick. That kid from Germany, Kushidi, impressed me a lot during the teen summit game.

11. alethios

alethios Member

12. Progs

Progs Member

13. basketballholic

Agree on Sindarius Thornwell. I'll be surprised if he doesn't sneak into the first round. He's being penalized by age and the mar1juana thing. But he's NBA rotation ready in my opinion.

Kaba may be stymied by his contract. I don't know. Haven't kept up with him. Studied him a couple years back and saw nothing to get excited about at that time. Opinionless on him at the moment.

Boldon's league is a man's league. In my opinion, more competitive than the NCAA, but like he says, a different slow it down style. Which I personally believe probably helped him learn to read defenses better. He obviously can get up and down.

I don't see anything in Evans or Bell to make me believe they could be sleepers. I don't see them making the Association. I think they're Europe bound or they may meander around nbadl with that new roster spot available next season. Just my opinion. The way I look at guys is I look at their stats and measurable (if available) to begin with. I'm looking for production and efficiency first. Then I look at measurables. Then if those two things check out I start studying video. Evans and Bell didn't pass my first screen so I left off studying them.

Zach Collins obviously is a project. Im waiting to see some video of him stroking it in drills before I'd even attempt to evaluate his pro prospects. Just not enough info for me to determine in my mind his sleeper/possible steal status vs being a bust.

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

@basketballholic

I know you like super long standing reaches, what the deal with Joseph Lual Acuil from Baylor

7ft in shoes, 7'3 wingspan, 9'5.5 standing reach with 33.5 vertical, 220 lbs, about to turn 23

He moves really fluid/quick for a big, kind of like Capela/Maker, has good defensive instincts being a major shot blocker. Wonder why there's absolutely nothing on him and the draft since he got a full season of real minutes on a legit team. I see he started playing really late (11th grade), first year playing at Baylor, migrated from Sudan to Australia so perhaps some age questions like Maker. He looks more interesting than Motely who's projected to go early 2nd.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Joseph-Lual-Acuil-95288/

16. basketballholic

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Well, where to start.

Love his defensive instinct in the paint. He uses his length well. Doesnt bite on fakes. And moves his feet well. Additionally, he is very vertical on shot contests. The other thing is he snap blocks. That's a new term. It means he doesn't leave his arms dangling up in the air when he is contesting. He flashed them quickly. I know, from playing this game, that that style of contest is very distracting to a shooter. Additionally, it makes it more difficult for officials to whistle shooting fouls because it's harder to see. I like his technique a lot.

Like the way he moves offensively. Quickly in and out of pick and roll. Very good at finding space and creating angles for the ball handler to deliver the pass. And then his wiry frame and springs get him up off the floor quickly and allow him to finish in traffic because he is quicker than power bigs.

Question marks:
    Age, measurables, health, school

First of all, what's his draft status? Is he even in the draft?

He is being advertised as 23 years old. Is he? How would you know? He could be 30. And then his frame. If he were 19 you could believe he's going to continue to fill out. But at 23.....or possibly older? If he's actually 26, then he's filled out. I don't think he's over 30 inches at the waist.

Hate to say this. I love Baylor but they have a reputation. They dig up players from everywhere that you can't pedigree. Just too many unknowns. This kid/man is the perfect example. Remember Isaiah Austin? Supposed to be a lottery pick. He's out there playing with one eye. This guy has had heart problems. And that makes me too uncomfortable.

Measurables: Baylor gave those numbers to draft express. There's no way to know if they are legit. Yes, he's showing 9-5 standing reach with a 33" max vertical. Do you realize that that would put his max vertical reach at over 12'-2"?

Let me tell you something. When guys are throwing max vertical reach over 12 foot, the NBA scouts start feeding on them like pirhannas. Because that's Lebron/Shaq level max reach. But that's Baylor. That's not coming from any NBA camp. Could it be legit? Yes, it could. But I wouldn't trust those numbers until they were verified by an NBA predraft camp.

All these factors make it impossible for me to feel confident of any evaluation of Lual Acuil. I don't see him as draftable without a lot of verification and clarity regarding his health, age, and actual size/length. And even with all that (which is nigh unto impossible) I'd still question his lack of girth in attempting to play in the NBA.

Doesn't mean he won't be a sleeper or that he won't play in the NBA. Just means I don't have the info necessary to possibly project him as an NBA player with confidence. If I were forced to guess about his future, my guess would be he's not an NBA player. But that's strictly....a guess.

#16 basketballholic, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    don grahamleone likes this.
  17. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Was about to ask y'alls opinion on Semi. I may be biased as an SMU student, but I feel like he is being somewhat undervalued and seemed like a classic Morey pickup to me. Tweener. Good, efficient scorer. He is undersized, but the way the NBA is going he would make a fine small-ball power-forward. He is very strong and athletic, and has a good 3-point shot. I wouldn't call his defense his strong-point, but didn't think it was a particularly glaring weakness either. Really hoping Rockets take a look at him.

Any thoughts on Shake Milton if he declares? His size, length, shooting, and playmaking skills make me think he's an interesting PG prospect. I'm hoping he stays another year and I think he could use it, he needs to become a go-to scorer next season.

18. lionaire

lionaire Member

Grayson Allen
    Josh Hart
    Alonzo Trier
    Tyler Dorsey
    Was going to say Bonzie Colson but he just announced his return to ND. Could've had our Draymond-lite.

19. basketballholic

Incomplete on Shake Milton. Doesn't look like a point guard to me at all. If anything a possible 3&D project. I think he needs another year in school. If he declares I don't see anything that says sleeper.

#19 basketballholic, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  20. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Can't say I disagree with you, but he I've seen him going first in some mocks. Strange. He seems pretty raw at this point, but he is a pretty good playmaker. Could be a decent shooting guard/combo guard with his length and athletecism.