1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Westbrook get a Roger Maris* Asterisk if breaks record after game 80

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by heypartner, Apr 7, 2017.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The NBA schedule was only 80 games long when Oscar had 41 triple doubles.

OKC has played 79 games.

I don't really care, but would love to see a media argument about it.

#1 heypartner, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    don grahamleone likes this.
  2. Kamaqazi21

Kamaqazi21 Member

Saying you don't really care but you making a thread on it shows you care. Quit being so butthurt about this situation and just accept it as is. Westbrook is go down as Mr. Triple Double number two regardless of whatever stat padding or **** you come up with.

Air Langhi and KePoW like this.
  3. heypartner

Dude, he's already guaranteed the triple double by exceeding 820 assists. Relax. You sound pretty upset about something. I think you are shouting at the world, if this thread upsets you so much.

I'm just a stat history buff. It was a big argument when Maris broke Ruth's record after the 154 game mark. I can care from a history perspective about whether asterisk arguments occur, but not care which way it is decided.

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

[​IMG]

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  5. Kamaqazi21

Kamaqazi21 Member

You can argue that Robertson had more possessions and it was a fast paced game back then, but who cares? He is tied with the record now regardless of stat padding or pace of game. No one else has done it or will be able to do it, even though Westbrook did it with less possessions. At the end of the day his team will be a first round exit. MVP doesn't matter it's an individual award. What good is an MVP when you don't win the ring? Harden vs Westbrook it doesn't mean **** if you aren't picking up the trophy at the end of the season.

6. T for 3

T for 3 Member

No * will be needed he gonna get it by next game

But if he doesn't....

Officially there should be an * in the record books, on Bball ref. etc. But as far as displaying it in broadcast graphics and stuff, no need imo

#6 T for 3, Apr 8, 2017
  7. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

The bigger issue in my opinion is counting a triple double when it's achieved in OT

8. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

OP --

That doesn't make any sense, because it would actually be easier to average a triple-double with a lower amount of games.

Put it this way... if hypothetically the NBA regular season was 20 total games, then there would have been a lot more players to average a triple-double.

The Maris example is not the same situation, because that's a total number record. So a higher number of games directly affects that.

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Seriously too many rockets fans are butt hurt by rw. We are having a great season and we just hear b****ing about what some other guys player is doing. Whether it be RW or DH rockets fans enjoy belittle other players. It's like poor people wanting other people to be poorer than them instead of worrying about themselves.

sw847 and tierre_brown like this.
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think some/a lot of Rockets fans are kinda mad about this MVP thing because their best player is going to get screwed for the second time just because the criteria seems to change for worse every time, with Curry it was a matter of having the better team W's, today is a matter of padding stats.

I'm one of those who generally doesn't care that much about the MVP, team comes first and second, but i'm definitely kinda annoyed about this because the Rockets/Harden are going to be screwed up big time, pre season prediction and final results are being heavily twisted just for a couple of freaking boosted rebounds...frankly, this is not even basketball, this is more wwe stuff. And aside for that, the Rockets are still directly losing something because having the MVP might boost our chances in free agency with some big players...even though, James already won the players MVP, and i think he has a good chance to win it again this year so...

And yeah, tbh, i like the fact that James/Rockets didn't go full stat padding in the last period, that could've helped him a lot but again, that's not even basketball, if Westbrook wins the MVP this year (which is what i expect at this point), it's just going to lower the meaning of the award, the fact that Adams and Gibson are barely getting more than 10 rebounds per game together, while Capela alone is getting 10 playing 24 minutes per game tells you enough.

The media is going to give Westbrook the MVP not because he's leading his team to the 6th seed in the West like everyone predicted before the season, but because his team is gifting him 3/4 rebounds per game...wow, that's really amazing...roftl...

jeffvangundy likes this.
  11. heypartner

The record is not the average. It is a Most X Games in a Season Record.

it is the 41 triple double games. He is currently tied with Oscar and trying to get #42. Oscar was playing in an era of only 80 game schedules.

#11 heypartner, Apr 8, 2017
    Richie_Rich and KePoW like this.
  12. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

2 extra games is a minor difference compared to differences in pace, style and rest breaks. People played faster, rested more, played much bigger minutes, there were lots of misses and lots of rebound opportunities, but fewer assist opportunities. I don't think people should ignore those major differences and compare 60s and current stats as apples to apples. But if they are going to, then it's silly to make a fuss about 2 extra games.

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's silly to make a fuss about any of this

14. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Right, but why does it matter what you think?

15. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Roger Maris didn't have Mickey Mantle and Yogi Berra letting him grab all the rebounds.

16. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

Ah ok, got it. For some reason I thought you were talking about averaging a triple-double

heypartner likes this.
  17. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

No, it should not.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not everyone who hates this trip-dub thing is butthurt Rockets fan. Two seasons ago, lots of butthurt Rockets fans hated Curry for "stealing" the MVP from Harden. I was rolling my eyes on that. This season, I first thought it was happening again only with Westbrook this time. It is probably still true with a lot of posters here. But for me, hating this has nothing to do with Harden or jealousy. I couldn't care less who gets the MVP. I simply hate tempering with stats. And stat padding is a form of stat tempering. And I don't like triple-double as a category of statistical achievement. I actually think that Curry's performance in 2015-16 was more impressive than Westbrook's this season.

19. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Because I'm your daddy

20. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Do you see how hollow that "right but why does it matter what you think?" Comment is yet?

You can say that to literally any post on the internet