1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

POLL: Would You Support Trading Up in The Draft for QB?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Brando2101, Apr 4, 2017.

?

POLL: Would You Support Trading Up in The Draft for QB

1. Yes for Patrick Mahomes II, QB, Texas Tech

18.6%
  2. Yes for Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

17.5%
  3. Yes for Mitchell Trubisky, QB, North Carolina

11.3%
  4. No

60.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

I really think Mahomes makes it out of the 1st round. Teams drafting have to trust their coaching to develop him and have to be willing to be patient with him. Teams tend to pick 1st round QBs they think are day one ready.

2. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

For me, trading up in this draft is the same as trading for Jimmy Garoppolo. You give up about the same number of picks, yet Garoppolo is a much better prospect than any QB in this draft and he's ready to start now.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Not for the price it will most likely cost. Tough to say whether or not there are any can't miss QB prospects in this draft.

4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Are the Texans really considered a "bad" franchise?? They certainly aren't great, but they've won their division a lot in recent years, and have a few playoff victories under their belt to boot. Those are certainly not tenets of "bad" franchises. Also, this is a very cherry-picky list since he left out some of the other former teams those QBs played for (Broncos, Cowboys, Bucs, etc). All in all, it means nothing, but these false narratives by sports media just annoy me to no end.

Oh, and the answer is no. There isn't anybody this year that's worth giving up future picks for......other than the right to dump Brock Osweiler's carcass, of course.

Nimo likes this.
  5. solid

solid Contributing Member

After Dak Prescott coming on to have such a great season, I guess anything can happen. It just doesn't happen very often. The Texans have not been very good at rolling the dice. I would give Savage a chance.

6. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

save your ammo for next year's qb class

everyone sas you have to get a young qb to coach up ... that's exactlyt what Savage is now.

CallMeTheDream likes this.
  7. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Would much rather use those assets to get Jimmy G.

8. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

25th please. The draft is an absolute crap shoot. Even the 1st round is statistically and historically a 50-50 proposition at best and that's just to draft a guy that stays in the league, not necessarily a star. The franchise played Romo poker and they lost. Perhaps in retrospect they should have gone all in and made the trade when Romo still had aspirations to keep playing football but hindsight is 20-20. QB probably isn't an option in forming our championship puzzle this season.

9. tc0330

tc0330 Member

F*ck. Yes. Absolutely. We only have JJ for so long...

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

The Texans have had two teams trade up right before they picked to take Bridgewater and Garrapalo in front of them because they know they are desperate for a QB. I'm all for the Texans trading up 3-5 spots to ensure they get their QB if there is one they like. Since Romo is now out I see the front runners in the draft they can trade up for being Trubisky and Mahomes if they are still there around 20.

11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I say maybe trade up but not for a QB. Because of this: https://theringer.com/nfl-draft-best-class-2007-2011-breakdown-a9079e210147

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That's a bit disingenuous as it leaves off where Osweiler spent a large majority of his career.

13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And to think Romo wasn't even drafted. It just goes to show that everyone's opinions on this quarterback class are just that........opinions. Nobody can guarantee any prospect's abilities once he hits the big league. Hopefully we finally get the quarterback we've been waiting for. Just like you said, it's an absolute crap shoot, but the odds might finally be in our favor.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

Rick Smith, is that you???

16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

No, I'd take DeShone in a close second behind Deshaun. They prob won't have to trade up to grab DeShone and I think moving up to grab Deshaun will be costly.

Serious post.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

Most teams don't use 1st round picks on QBs they are sure won't be ready for a year or two. Especially not an air raid QB. Some do but it is rare.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Watt and Hopkins + #25 is too much for #1 and 12, right?
    Would drafting Garrett and Mahomes with those picks make it better?
    I mean, we already have the #1 defense in the league and they can get another good receiver, right?

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ne&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=twitter.com

20. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

I think the Texans should be hoping Kizer falls to them at 25. Mahomes to me has to much to work on at the pro-level. Trubisky(whom I like, only started13 games, so I have Brockhitis, let some one else take this chance), Watson should be gone by 25. All these QBs have questions and in my opinion in a situation like this you have to go with the the guy who has the most talent and highest upside. To me that would be Kizer. First, he came in and took his spot when Zaire got hurt.(I like that) Second, I like what he did when he had other pro-level talent around him(like Ronnie Stanley, Nick Martin,Chris Brown, Will Fuller, C.J. Prosise, Steve Elmer and Amir Carlisle) This year he was leading a bunch of freshmen who can be up and down and didn't show to be the best leader but I think he will learn from experience that at the next level. He is the only prototype QB in the draft this year, and the arm talent is there.