1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

POLL: Would You Support Trading Up in The Draft for QB?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Brando2101, Apr 4, 2017.

?

POLL: Would You Support Trading Up in The Draft for QB

1. Yes for Patrick Mahomes II, QB, Texas Tech

18.6%
  2. Yes for Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

17.5%
  3. Yes for Mitchell Trubisky, QB, North Carolina

11.3%
  4. No

60.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Trading up would likely require giving up a future 1st and 2nd and probably more. How good do you think the 3 QBs that are projected to be drafted before the Texans pick? Mocks project the Texans taking DeShone Kizer, QB, Notre Dame.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I selected "no", but it depends on how far they'd have to trade up and what the cost of it was. I might be okay with trading up ever so slightly to get the Tech kid.....but it's still punting on this season to go after him because it'll be at least one year, probably more before he could even be considered to be on the field.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Matters who it is but as I mentioned in the other thread, you could be looking at not having Day 1 or Day 2 picks for the next two drafts

But I want to get away from this:

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I'm fine with 25th.

5. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

If that's the price to move up I would rather go after Garoppolo.

CallMeTheDream likes this.
  6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

There are always curve balls and surprises, but looking at the first round, I think they'd have to get to... at least #5 if they wanted to have their pick. I don't think a QB goes 1 or 2; the Bears might take one 3rd.

But if I were a betting man, I think the most likely first QB off the board is 6th with the Jets. So that's a 20-pick jump, which would be costly - not to mention, the Titans own that 5th pick.

7. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

We will get our future franchise QB at 25 or in the 2nd or 3rd. Now that we're rollin' with Macho Man Savage, we can only look up from here.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

No.

Not trading away a 2nd to get rid of Brock and then swap 1st plus another 1st & another 2nd & a 3rd & who knows what else for any of these QBs. At 25? Sure, consider them if they're there.

9. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Nah, none of the guys in this draft class are worth it.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

We've tried the "backup with potential" route (Schaub, Mallet, Osweiler)
    We've tried the "veteran NFL journeyman" route (Fitzpatrick, Hoyer)
    We've tried the "late round/undrafted project" route (Ragone, Symons, Henson, Brink, Yates, Keenum, Savage)

Maybe this is the year we finally draft a QB in the first round for the first time in 15 years and only the 2nd time in the history of the franchise?

Eh, probably not. BOB hates rookie QBs, so eff it.

#10 ima_drummer2k, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    J.R. likes this.
  11. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

It's not worth it. Drafting a QB in the first round is a long shot from a guarantee of success. We are getting so caught up in the idea of getting a QB post Romo possibility that we are ignoring glaring weaknesses: defensive backfield, offensive tackles, linebacker depth, etc. I am of the strong belief we draft a QB in the first three rounds, but unless it was a short trade up (swapping 3rd round picks or something), we should try not to lose the forest in the trees.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I would be fine with it but it would be easier for me to say yes definitively if we had done ANYTHING in free agency. I am still really worried about the offensive line (entire right side) and corner is now a huge concern to me. I think you can play Cushing for 1 more season before replacing him in the draft (generally not a position that is particularly difficult to adjust to). But outside of that, I'm generally ok with the rest of the roster. I would like to add a vet to fill at least a hole in the offensive line. I think the only thing rick smith is maybe good at is finding DBs late or undrafted, so if they are gonna go with a QB in the 1st round, this is the year imo.

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

No, unless we're talking about moving a 5th or something to move from 25 to 21 or something like that.

charlieaustin likes this.
  14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I put "no" because they would probably have to give up too much.

charlieaustin likes this.
  15. Nimo

Nimo Member

How many spots are they moving up? What are they giving up? Are all the other QBs off the board? Is he going to do HEB commercials? Does he have an alarm clock? Will he stand up, salute, and sing the national anthem? Will he grow a beard?

All these are questions I need answered.

J.R. likes this.
  16. Nimo

Nimo Member

LOL Brock is also a former Bronco, Weeden is a former Cowboy. McCown is a former Buc.

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I said yes for Mahomes, but if and only IF it's only five spots max. I don't think we really need to though as I'd take Webb also.

18. mario_v

mario_v Member

Would mahomes still be available for the Texans in the first round?

19. ballgame

ballgame Member

Agree!

20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Who knows, but if he is still there at 20, Smith better be on the phone with about 5 teams.