1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why NOT Kaepernick??

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ballgame, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Well the Texans had to dumb down their system for Brock and they seems willing. It seems to me that the most important thing to the Texans is "winning" no? I would imagine BOB would welcome players that carry distractions and controversy (who did the black power salute on the Texans again) as long as their winning.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Texans having to dumb down their system is part of why it failed so badly. They'd have to further "dumb down" the system for it to work with a limited QB like Kap and even in a system tailor made for Kap, his numbers still weren't that different from Osweiler's.

BOB would welcome players with talent, Kap doesn't have that......AND is a distraction. His non-football nonsense is just an additional reason to not want him, let's not forget that him being absolutely awful at being a QB is the primary reason to not want him.

Honestly the question should be why do those who want Kap REALLY want him on the team? Is it just that they know so little about football that they don't realize he's a terrible QB or does their reasoning have nothing to do with football at all?

3. ballgame

ballgame Member

Agree

4. Mr. Motiejunas

If the Texans were to make me choose between Kap and Cutler, I'd go with Kap even though I'm no huge fan.

5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I'd love an athletic QB .

I haven't watched him play at all the last couple of years.

Obviously if we can get him for cheap/ not many guaranteed years then I'd take a flier on him .

Assuming he's healthy and we can get him for a good price there's no reason not to bring him in .

If our front office plays politics that's stupid ; and I don't buy a distractions argument when you let hard knocks come an film just a year ago .

6. body slam

body slam Member

I assume you're talking about Johnny Football?

7. edwardc

edwardc Member

True more so now that all those that wanted Romo will not be available .Bring him in draft a QB Mahomes hopefully and let all of them compete for the starting job.

8. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

It's worth a try to bring Kap in. They've given far worse retreads a try in O'Brien's tenure.

edwardc likes this.
  9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Same. Both have problems on the field, but Cutler also seems to be a shitty teammate and have a major attitude problem

10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

No , I know enough about Johnny to know that he isn't worth giving a shot .

I'd rather give someone a shot whose "politics" are the problem vs a player that has a lifestyle problem .

Drugs can wreck your body , having controversial opinions won't diminish ones football upside.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The problem is that his "politics" aren't the main problem, him being terrible at football is the problem. If it was just him being a distraction, and he was a quality football player, he'd be the current QB of the Niners. I'm not sure I'd pick Kap over Cutler, and I'm really down on Cutler.

12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Not gonna argue that he wasn't bad last year.

The Texans aren't in a position to get anyone who WAS good last year .

At this point ( and it's usually true in general for FA QB) you're going to have to live with some sort of reclamation project .

If I look at it from a cost/benefit and risk/reward perspective I think Kap is prolly the best choice.

He's still fairly young , can be had for cheap, should have his physical tools ...

I know Bob needs "smart" QB to run his offense .. Wtf is his offense even ? No QB he's brought in has been able to hold down the spot.

Right now , our QB situation is bleak ... And that's really bad considering we have a ready made top D , so we wanna compete . Unless a miracle happens and a QB we get becomes above average , then we are going to have to piece our offense together based off other attributes .

Kap had success in SFA with a similar powerhouse D . Who knows , he may be able to game manage well enough and with our weapons and his running talent be able to produce enough big plays to keep other teams honest.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Agree, let Kap manage the game and his legs are the x factor that can make the difference in a 17-14 ballgame. He's worth a shot, the Texans have NO OPTIONS left.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Kap had limited success when the read option was the new gimmick offense that defenses hadn't adjusted to yet. Once that happened, he was garbage because that gimmick was all he had going for him. Anyway, it's just not going to happen, and it shouldn't happen. He's just about the worst possible fit for the offense, he has very little talent as a QB, and he would be a distraction.

I think the Texans either start the season with Savage who knows the system and honestly would probably be better than the best Kap could be or they'll take another shot a luring Romo now that he's a free agent. There's just no chance that they take Kap because there's not a football reason for doing so. If we want to talk about QB's with past team success, why not go after Mark Sanchez? He's got just about as much "just winz" as Kap....possibly more.

15. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Dude... that picture... SO FUNNY. The Irish Kaep!

Funniest thread in a while...

16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Fair enough . I guess we will see .

I think the price tag is low enough on Colin to make it worth it to bring him in for competition and possibly injury insurance

I don't think lack of fit for the offense is a good enough reason ... Number 1 becuase I don't think there's much to QB fit . If he can read and throw that's every offense . If he can't then he can't play .

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well if that's the standard, you are saying he can't play. If he can't play, why bring him in? You'd be just picking up his baggage for no reason.

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Because Savage needs competition in camp. You want to draft a QB, then sign someone (could be Kaep) and have 3 of them compete for a spot. If Kaep sucks just cut him. There is no baggage to be had.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You don't bring in a bad QB with baggage to be camp competition and yes, he does have baggage due to the nonsense he pulled last season.No matter what happens, you'll have people who like the BS he pulled last season wanting him to be the starter (because people like that generally know nothing of football) and you'll have people who don't like the BS he pulled last season being pissed off at their team for bringing the circus to town......and that's what would happen even if he was good at football, which he isn't. The difference is, if he was actually good at football, it would be worth it to bring the circus to town. Roethlisberger gets tons of heat due to being rapey....but Steelers fans don't care. Jameis Winston still gets heat due to being a crab thieving rapist....but Bucs fans don't care because he's actually good.

There's a reason why guys like Hoyer and Schaub are still in the league and just recently got new contracts despite being terrible at football, when you don't bring any baggage with you then you can be nothing but vet camp competition. When you are a player with baggage, you end up out of the league when you suck at football.

20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Just looking at the stats he had 16 Td to 4 int over the last 11 games last season . That points to being able to play .

If his "gimmick " has run out then how was he able to post a 4:1 TD to INT ratio ?

Why do you think he's so much worse than the other FA QB's ... If we don't bring in a FA QB then that means savage and weeden are or QB's ... Unless we draft one , in which case we will have a rookie ... And in what round are we going to draft this player .

It's worth it to bring in a vet to compete.

ESPECIALLY , given that we won't have to spend much

ESPECIALLY given that he still has athletic upside

ESPECIALLY given that he produced in flashes just last season

ESPECIALLY considering he has deep playoff experience .

Frankly , the politics thing could be a blessing in disguise if it lowers the demand for him and allows us to get him on a cheap deal .

In years past the market for QB's who have had some level of NFL success, then had an injury , then came back to produce a 4:1 td to int ratio was probably extremely expensive . We have a chance to grab this guy on a low risk deal

I don't believe that he has "baggage" ... Baggage is legal or character concerns . A political protest is far from that IMO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.