1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Very Simple: Get Romo or Jimmy G

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fullcourt, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Reports came out that they wanted Romo. But are we sure they wanted him? Even if they did, egg can't be on their face since they didn't reveal it. They could have signed other free agents and still afforded Romo. Romo is not the only reason they didn't sign anybody. If you recall, they did try to sign a couple of players but they were too expensive.

To me, the ONLY way they should be embarrassed is if Brock balls out next year.

2. mario_v

mario_v Member

Yeah, except Osweiler only has one year left of guaranteed money on his contract.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

And in that one year they could have lost Hopkins.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Right, but both the Texans and Broncos were not interested in trading for him and Jerruh decided to keep Romo to get something out of it. Yesterday, Jerruh told teams they could work Tony out and the Texans would have probably given him a shot then.

5. Newlin

Newlin Member

I don't think it's embarrassing in any way. Romo was never the long term QB solution the Texans need. He was just a possible stop gap solution for a season or two. There is a very good chance that the Texans dodged a bullet by not signing the injury prone Romo.

I do feel that this may increase the likelihood that the Texans draft a QB in the first round.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. the shark

the shark Member

Bottom line any qb the Texans bring in this yr (Romo, Kap, or whoever) isn't going to lead this team to a Super Bowl (way too many holes). So if Brock was such a distraction you just outright release him so he's not around. You take the hit this yr, and next year he's off the books. Doing it this way they still have that SECOND RD PICK!!!

This franchise is a freakin joke and as long as McNair is the owner and he has little Ricky next to him this organization won't ever be a serious contender to win a SB.

mario_v likes this.
  8. Nimo

Nimo Member

And risk losing players like Hopkins and Clowney? Not to mention, them not having a lot of free agents this year almost guarantees them an extra 3rd next year.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Everybody back on the Jimmy G Train, lets get this thing rolling

11. Fantasma Negro

I'm still baffled that ppl in this city and on this board are sad we aren't signing Tony Freaking Romo lol. So Mahomes or Kieser, I'm torn

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I guarantee you plenty of the fan base would have been "enraged" by signing him... like most things with this franchise, you have people on both sides of every single argument.

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

His cap hit this year, had they kept him, would've been $19MM. If they released him, it would have been $25MM. And yes, he would've been off the books next year. If they had designated him a June 1 cut, they could have reduced his hit to just $19MM this year and carried $6MM next year.

By trading him, they take just a $9MM cap hit this year and are free and clear moving forward. So they created $7MM in cap space that they can carryover to next year if they don't use it.

My guess.... and it's just a guess - they'll make calls and kick tires on Phillip Rivers now. The Chargers are drafting 7th and will probably have their choice of QBs, as I think only the Jets at 6 are a threat to take a QB earlier. If I'm doing my math correctly, the Chargers could save $2MM this year and the Texans would absorb his remaining deal: 3 years/$48MM - only $11MM of which is guaranteed.

Here's how it'd break down:

2017: $11MM of his '17 salary is guaranteed - but that's merely semantics; they would ultimately pay him the remaining $3MM = $14MM

2018: He has a base salary of $10MM + a roster bonus of $5MM (paid if he's on the roster at a certain date) = $15MM

2019: He has a base salary of $11MM + a roster bonus of $5MM (paid if he's on the roster at a certain date) = $16MM

Again, the key to any NFL contract is guaranteed money; my guess is Rivers would be amendable to renegotiating, although those salaries are not exorbitant and, better ,they're not guaranteed.

That would be my play, if I were the Texans.

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I hate Rivers but would take him in a heartbeat. Think they Chargers would absolutely listen to offers but wonder what they would want for him.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What would have been embarrassing is trading for a player that was going to retire.

16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I would have LMAO at the irony - I can see the Cows fans giggling to high heaven: "Oh those poor, pitiful Texans, they really can't help themselves and they simply don't have a clue so let's let them have our old, broken-down QB so they can be the best team in the AFC South...again!".

17. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

At this point I would seriously consider the Garoppolo trade. Garoppolo is a better prospect than any QB in the draft this year. The Patriots want a first-round pick for him. So the question is how much value can the Texans really get with the 25th pick?

Of course, it's a huge gamble, but the Texans are reaching the point where they have to take risks to get to the next level. Bite the bullet now. Get O'Brien the QB he has always wanted for his system. If it doesn't work out, clean house with the coach and GM and start all over again. There is no easy way around this. Solving the QB position is the biggest puzzle in the NFL.

Fullcourt likes this.
  18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Christian hackenberg

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Another team, or another broadcast network outbidding you...

This is/was how I feel about the entire situation. @cardpire said it best about Texans playing a game of chicken with themselves. When they can just get 3-7 times the value of their 5th round pick for a proven vet. Waiting for item to go on clearance sale, but item gets yanked from store entirely.

While Osweiler had to go and Texans benefit many ways from the cap savings, are we fully believing the Texans dumped Osweiler with NO intention of addressing the QB position? Only a slight internal "upgrade", with maybe a possible QB draft pick and thats it? To me, just like you gave up fair value 2nd round pick for cap room, give up fair value 5th round pick to multiply up your playoff chances. Oh well now, lets see what else they try or try not to do

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I think Jerry manipulated Romo, convinced him the lack of trade interest was indicative of overall interest and by sitting on him an additional 3 weeks, with nothing happening, only underscored his position. Hell, I wouldn't doubt if Jerry was involved in piquing Fox and CBS's interest.

I think this would've played out much differently had Jerry released him in early March.

Shroopy2 likes this.